Bangkok taxi drivers demand end to protests

webfact

Taxi Drivers Demand End To Protests
By Khaosod English

tax.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of taxi drivers has rallied in front of Royal Thai Police headquarters in central Bangkok today to oppose the ongoing anti-government protests.

The taxi drivers parked around 20 taxis in front of the headquarters and submitted an open letter to the Chief of the Royal Thai Police, Pol.Gen. Adul Saengsinkaew, explaining their difficulties in making a living throughout the protests.

They also decry the upcoming plan by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) to "shutdown" Bangkok on 13 January.

Mr. Sanong On-Anong, 40, one of the taxi drivers, told our correspondent that the prolonged protests of PCAD had severely affected his 20-year business. Since the protest started, his income had dramatically decreased, causing his family to face financial difficulty and unable to pay for the taxi leasing bills, Mr. Sanong said.

The protesters have been occupying stretches of Ratchadamnoen Avenue and a blocking a number of roads.

Mr. Sanong also expressed his concern that a taxi driver had been brutally beaten by the anti-government protesters during their brief occupation of Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

“I want the police to prosecute Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the PCAD. I also wished him to stop the protest and turn himself in,” said Mr. Sanong, adding that if Mr. Suthep wants to protest, he should protest in his home province, Surat Thani.

“Please stop causing troubles in Bangkok”, Mr. Sanong pleaded.

Mr. Sanong added that he and his fellow taxi drivers are discussing about the solution for 13 January, after PCAD announced to close 20 major intersections in Bangkok during the shutdown.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9EYzBOelUzT0E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-04

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At last.

Forget the Army and forget the Police, you really, really, really don't wanna upset the taxi/MC brigade.

Given their historical penchant for robbing or raping or murdering unsuspecting customers, there's some validity in that.

Evidence please.

Not "I know a man who knew a man who had a brother who's second sister's cousin twice-removed" hearsay.

And even if so, until and unless they are convicted (en-masse according to the tone of your post), their votes are as good as any and their livelihoods equally important to anyone else's.

Or you could maybe say it to their faces.

• Like 1

Hey Mr. Dangerfield, calm down a bit.

The populace is not speaking, 20 red shirt sympathisers are speaking.

While I agree that not all taxi drivers are red shirts, I would stake my life that these 20 taxi drivers have an allegiance to the red faction.

I’m pretty sure that the taxi drivers lost more revenue during the 2010 riots but they were not so worried about loosing their money then.

And why would that be, exactly?

Maybe cuz the real populace is tired of the Army continually sticking their collective hand up the backside of their glove puppet and elitist enforced governmental administration for the better good of the few rather than the many.

And please don't tell me to calm down.

I'll do that in my own time, thank you.

Oh dear, no sex last night? biggrin.png

If that was a question....none of your business.

If it was a statement.....we really don't need to know.

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

For "hypocritical" read democratic.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

You have no clue at all, "it's only the elite!". What a comment to make, you've really fallen for the Red propaganda.

Do we have to explain it your lot all again. Speak to the real people, go outside and speak to people on the street and see why they are unhappy with this Government. This isn't no rich vs poor thing going on, wake up.

The South of Thailand, are they elite? No. Are they poor? A lot of them, yes. Are the majority, anti-Government, yes?

The Elite - a lot of them are anti the Government, sure. But a lot of the Elite are pro-Thaksin too, a hell of a lot. And what about the Shinatarwa (sic) family, not exactly, trudging the fields every day are they?

Then you have your working classes and middle classes, some who are pro Government, some Anti, some Neutral. Many of these are disgusted with the Government after what they see in a failed Rice Scam robbing their taxes they pay, a Government that continually lies and corrupt to the core and let's not forget the thing that started all this mayhem, a whitewash bill, to make corrupt, deceitful criminals have nothing to answer for.

That my friend, is why the people are upset and taking to the streets. Do the majority of these people like Suthep, from what I hear, not many. They do however, know it's right for this Government to be railed in. If the Government had done its job properly then none of this would have happened. Simple. But no, they got greedy, power hungry and thought of one man, just one man, over the needs and wishes of the people. That's disgusting.

Go easy on him, he's very touchy today.

At last.

The real "populace" are speaking.

Those who stand to lose the very daily rice they put on their families tables due to the selfish actions of an elite minority and its paid canon-fodder, should the capital be further disrupted.

Forget the Army and forget the Police, you really, really, really don't wanna upset the taxi/MC brigade.

You'll barely be able to sit down for a week, if you do.

Nice 1.

The real populace are starting to speak.

All we need now are the street-vendors who don't have their carts insured, in order to be smashed by protestors and the bar owners who are in similar position to join them. Not to mention the street girls workers.

Who would voluntarily face down that lot?

Thusep and his ilk will be heading for Dubai, in quick order.

I agree

Suthep has been rambling on how the Majority "The real People" are on his side. Looks like the real people (Not the rich elite) are fed up with him and are hurting and maybe about to give him a far old spanking. There is now a 500K incentive.

A bit hypocritical. They served the reds well, blocking streets and being idiots. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are upset!!!

For "hypocritical" read democratic.

The "population" is quite happy with the current government, thank you very much (it's they who voted them in, after all).

It's only the elite who are throwing their rattles out of the pram cuz no-one likes them or wants them to govern in the current administration's stead.

You have no clue at all, "it's only the elite!". What a comment to make, you've really fallen for the Red propaganda.

Do we have to explain it your lot all again. Speak to the real people, go outside and speak to people on the street and see why they are unhappy with this Government. This isn't no rich vs poor thing going on, wake up.

The South of Thailand, are they elite? No. Are they poor? A lot of them, yes. Are the majority, anti-Government, yes?

The Elite - a lot of them are anti the Government, sure. But a lot of the Elite are pro-Thaksin too, a hell of a lot. And what about the Shinatarwa (sic) family, not exactly, trudging the fields every day are they?

Then you have your working classes and middle classes, some who are pro Government, some Anti, some Neutral. Many of these are disgusted with the Government after what they see in a failed Rice Scam robbing their taxes they pay, a Government that continually lies and corrupt to the core and let's not forget the thing that started all this mayhem, a whitewash bill, to make corrupt, deceitful criminals have nothing to answer for.

That my friend, is why the people are upset and taking to the streets. Do the majority of these people like Suthep, from what I hear, not many. They do however, know it's right for this Government to be railed in. If the Government had done its job properly then none of this would have happened. Simple. But no, they got greedy, power hungry and thought of one man, just one man, over the needs and wishes of the people. That's disgusting.

Go easy on him, he's very touchy today.

I do speak with people on the street (those people who voted in the current administration, dontcha know).

What else do you think helps form my stance and opinions?

I'm gobsmacked you support a potential apartheid style of government.

And (for what it's worth) I'm "touchy" almost every day. laugh.png

At last.

Given their historical penchant for robbing or raping or murdering unsuspecting customers, there's some validity in that.

Evidence please.

Not "I know a man who knew a man who had a brother who's second sister's cousin twice-removed" hearsay.

And even if so, until and unless they are convicted (en-masse according to the tone of your post), their votes are as good as any and their livelihoods equally important to anyone else's.

Or you could maybe say it to their faces.

Evidence? LOL

Google searches of,

Bangkok taxi driver robbery

Bangkok taxi driver rape

Bangkok taxi driver murder

will give dozens of examples of evidence.

Are you really that unaware of their history?

Seriously?

No one questioned the validity of their votes.

Try and keep a grip on things.

I asked you.

I already have Google.

I can seek and validate pretty much any stance I want to take on pretty much any given subject with Google.

Evidence, please.

Don't these taxi-drivers realise, there will be a million potential-customers, wanting to get a ride to the demo ?

And then throw-in all Jatupon's Red-Shirt anti-anti-protesters, wanting to rally & make the world safe, for caretaker-governments !

Yay for Increased business-opportunities for taxi-drivers ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2