Australian fee for consular support?

harrry

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/reckless-travellers-could-be-charged-for-consular-assistance-bishop-20140104-30af9.html

A threat to impose a fee for consular support after Australian activist Colin Russell was detained in Russia has opened the prospect of broader charges for government support of thousands of Australians who find themselves in trouble overseas.

On Friday foreign affairs minister Julie Bishop said the activities of the Australian government on behalf of Mr Russell had cost tens of thousands of dollars, and she would look very closely at recovering the costs.

"Of course cost recovery can be an important part of providing consular support," she said.

In News Ltd papers on Saturday Ms Bishop was reported to have outlined a review of fees for cost recovery of consular activities for Australians in trouble overseas, and the circumstances in which those fees could be levied.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/reckless-travellers-could-be-charged-for-consular-assistance-bishop-20140104-30af9.html#ixzz2pOz3odaT

we already pay them for everything we want/need them to do, whats new. My problem is that the thai girls that work at the consulate try to tell Australians they know better than them and make up their own rules. Recently I had one refuse to do what the actual Australian consulate secretary had told me they would do if I went to the consulate, I wasted a day & 3000 baht on airfares as the secretary was not in the consulate to tell her otherwise. Luckily my email to her abusing the thai worker hit as nerve and she ended up sending me the paperwork needed for nothing as a way to apologise for the incompetent thai worker along with a letter of apology. Mate we are already screwed by the consulate so this is nothing new.

Wow, I thought it was only the Poms that whinge about "The Embassy ain't doing nuffink" smile.png

Well wernt we so called Poms

Its not just the Embassy, Austrailia in general doent look after their citizens EG no pension if moving to another country, pay a few thousand every year for free public health cover , & basically incompetent female staff in various roles Eg HR, Flight bookings & many others as they seem to be unable to solve variuos problems

The nanny state of australian govt makes the system a 'user pays' system- it applies to all levels in oz and now they want to hit us up whilst abroad.

Anyone can get into strife whilst abroad and need a consulate. Its crazy to have to pay for this. Even senator nick zenaphon was in deep shit in KL last year.

The nanny state of australian govt makes the system a 'user pays' system- it applies to all levels in oz and now they want to hit us up whilst abroad.

Anyone can get into strife whilst abroad and need a consulate. Its crazy to have to pay for this. Even senator nick zenaphon was in deep shit in KL last year.

Call it a nanny state but then have a go at it for making you pay, the very antithesis of a 'nanny state'. Don't want a nanny state but don't want to pay your way.

Seriously, there is no pleasing you blokes.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

No surprises here !! This is in line with the conservative Abbott government's agenda of making it more difficult for those in our society who may have a different world view regarding topics like conservation. The Abbott government has abolished the climate change authority which was set up to advise government, it has done away with a Science minister in cabinet and has given the go ahead for expansion of a port on the Great Barrier Reef which will mean dredge tailings will be pumped onto the reef. All in all I am not surprised at the mean spirited aproach of this government. Has there ever been a coup in Oz ... just joking folks jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif