Everly Brothers singer Phil Everly dies aged 74

webfact

Everly Brothers singer Phil Everly dies aged 74 in Los Angeles after battle with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
By CASSIE CARPENTER

eb.jpg
The Everly Brothers
file photo

LOS ANGELES: -- Phil Everly of the popular Grammy-winning duo The Everly Brothers passed away Friday in Burbank at age 74.

The rock singer - who scored hits with All I Have To Do Is Dream, Wake Up Little Susie, and Bye Bye Love - died due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

'He fought long and hard,' she noted, adding that Phil's death was the result of a lifetime cigarette habit.
Along with his 76-year-old brother Don, the Everly Brothers still hold the record for the most top 100 singles by any duo in history.

During the height of their success in the 1950s and 1960s, the country crooners charted nearly three dozen hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

The Cathy's Clown hitmakers - who began as a family act with their parents Ike & Margaret - were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

After an acrimonious split in the early 1970s, the Everly's reunited in 1983.

11-time Grammy winner Linda Ronstadt covered the brothers' track When Will I Be Loved back in 1975.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2533632/Everly-Brothers-singer-Phil-Everly-dies-aged-74-Los-Angeles-battle-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease.html

-- Daily Mail 2014-01-04

My first true girlfriend and I had many make-out sessions listening to the Everly Brothers in the late 50's. Back then I was a smoker too, like Phil Everly. Luckily I found a way to quit when I was about 30, not like my younger sister who died of lung cancer at 61 and my uncle who died at 59. It still amazes me to see people continuing to smoke, ignoring all the associated dangers of tobacco smoke.

RIP Phil.. and thanks for all the beautiful music!

A month ago, I was listening to a radio interview with Graham Nash (the high voice of The Hollies / Crosby, Stills and Nash). The Everly's were his heroes, not surprisingly. One evening, Nash was in a Canadian City, and one of the Everlys dropped by and asked the younger Nash to accompany them. Nash was on 7th heaven. Someone actually recorded it on a little cassette player.

Memories....oh man....way off the charts....more words escape me.

Here's a video from 2004....

Funny thing. My daughter used to sing this sitting in the back seat of the car in 2006 when she was just 5 years old. She still loves their music and so do her Mom and I.

RIP Phil.

• Like 1

One last snippet of music history from me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvHlry_yyw

Hey sunshine51,

Many, many thanks for posting these great memories.

Cheers,

Torrens54 in CNX.

You're welcome....try & Google "Everly Brothers Youtube"...see what happens!

You'll be there for hours...I was. Good simple music played with real instruments

and a lotta soul & heart. Those were the days. If ya have kids (any age) be sure

they listen to this "old stuff" too...they'll inevitably come around...hah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1ig-dYuLk