Indian buffet in Chiang Mai?

Wopanese

Seems to me like this topic came up a while ago and there was a big debate on what was real Indian food or was it English Indian food even a mention as to American Indian food.

I was wondering if the Indian food in India was the same through out the country and how much time had people spent there. Some had spent a good amount of time there. Most I think were like me I like it or I don't like it. Yes I like Le spice also there is a little Indian food restaurant across from the Doungtawan (spelling} Central hotel that is quite good. I don't know if there are any buffets in Chiang Mai.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Seems to me like this topic came up a while ago and there was a big debate on what was real Indian food or was it English Indian food even a mention as to American Indian food.

I was wondering if the Indian food in India was the same through out the country and how much time had people spent there. Some had spent a good amount of time there. Most I think were like me I like it or I don't like it. Yes I like Le spice also there is a little Indian food restaurant across from the Doungtawan (spelling} Central hotel that is quite good. I don't know if there are any buffets in Chiang Mai.

We used to go to Le Spice about 6 years ago and the food was pretty good but my wife found that almost every time when we got the Check-Bin, there was a mistake.....in "their favour" and we got sick of having to point it out to them.

We used to go to Le Spice about 6 years ago and the food was pretty good but my wife found that almost every time when we got the Check-Bin, there was a mistake.....in "their favour" and we got sick of having to point it out to them.

I had a run in with them about a year and a half ago and they wouldn't even bring me the menu so I could check prices. Haven't been back since. But the food was good.

Check that one across from the Doungtawan Hotel on Loi Kroh.

Le Spice, IMO, food is good, but not spicy enough for moi. Portion sizes too small for what you pay for. Naan not up to snuff. During the lunch period people are

setting up for the Night Bazaare and the noise makes it sound as though you were under the L tracks in downtown Chicago. Probably the best of the lot.

Give the one across from the Doungtawanon Central Hotel on Loi Kroh real close to the night bazaar a try and let us know what you think of it. It is a small place.

The best Indian food in CNX is what I make in my home(yes I am biased)

usually 2-3 times a week,at least I know whats going into it ! its not difficult

but takes a bit time to get it right. I also make my own pickles and chutneys,

its Nan 's I cannot make.

Indian food in India,bears little resemblance to British Indian curries, its also

the same with Chinese food.

I have been to most of the curry houses in CNX, nothing special,the best one

used to be in the Night Bazaar,but he was Pakistani,and that was a long time

ago,at the time I think he was only Indian curry house in CNX.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the Sausage King Buffet wholetthegogout! That sounds worth checking out!

I'm still looking for a great Indian restaurant.

Seems that we may be asking too much to want a good Indian Buffet.

I loved Bollywood! I ate their buffet often. I was sad to see them go.

Keep the suggestions coming.

<snip for brevity>

regards Worgeordie

Was that the one in the Galare food-court area, we used to visit them often, in the days before we actually moved to live here ! thumbsup.gif

The sausage King Buffet would be worth checking out at the price, I haven't tried any of Robs curries but his kebabs have been pretty good.

I'm with Worgeordie on making your own, you can get all the ingredients here and make a good Brit style Curry - The best by the way tongue.png

I haven't tried making naan bread but just make do with flat breads, I have an Indian Tava pan that is ideal for making chapatis.

The best Indian food experience in CM is Kebab house, cheap enough that you can try a variety of dishes at a fairly low cost.

Taj Mahal has, in my opinion, the best Indian food in this town. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place on Ratchaphakinai Road, just a short walk south of Ratchadamnoen Road (Sunday Walking Street). You can also get delivery through Meals on Wheels 4U. No buffet. Try the Chicken Achaar.

kebab house,by zoe yellow does a decent indian meal,and the brothers are from india,so i suppose it must help,can not understand posters decreeing,places,without giving some reaonable alternitives,just to say some thing or some were is crap,is just a negitive way to look at or discuss a subject,

The best Indian food experience in CM is Kebab house

.....mmm...the word 'Kebab' got my mouth watering...I would almost fly back to Calcutta just to eat those things again- Incredible!!...not even close to what K.H offer.

BTW.. has anyone tried that large Moroccan-style restaurant called Babylon,overlooking Galare market?

The best Indian food in CNX is what I make in my home(yes I am biased)

usually 2-3 times a week,at least I know whats going into it ! its not difficult

but takes a bit time to get it right. I also make my own pickles and chutneys,

its Nan 's I cannot make.

i

You are 100% right, bonney lad. Home made is the only way to go, we have it at least once a week. Every single Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese restaurant I've tried in Thailarnd, Cambodia and Vietnam are 'British Indian' which is code for bland and sweet. It was all the go in Mumbai a couple of years ago for the middle class to eat at 'English Indian Food' restaurants, I have no idea why as it's awful. bah.gif

Nan bread isn't hard to make, just like small stotty cakes.

For those not making it themselves, Indian food isn't as difficult as it appears reading a book or watching a video, all you need is plenty of time and patience.

REQUEST: I've run out of poppy seeds and I've been everywhere I know where to go looking for them but can't get them, all the supermarkets around city and Hang Dong Road, Bombay Spices at Kad Luang, Kaeseem, no luck anywhere. I know I've got them here previously because the empty jar was one I bought locally, not one I brought with me from UK. I have lots of nigella seeds, but they won't give the same taste when ground and added to the spice mix spitting away in the pan.

Any help with the poppy seeds will be much appreciated, and try making an Indian dish. It really is easy to do with enough patience, and Youtube is full of video's from Indian or ethnic Indian people living in US,Aus and UK.

I was wondering if the Indian food in India the same through out the country and how much time had people spent there. Some had spent a good amount of time there. Most I think were like me I like it or I don't like it. Yes I like Le spice also there is a little Indian food restaurant across from the Doungtawan (spelling} Central hotel that is quite good. I don't know if there are any buffets in Chiang Mai.

The food is very different in different parts of the country. As in Thailand, coconut is used heavily in the southern area's (tropical area's where coconuts are plentiful). I particularly like Punjabi food (even though it's vegetarian) and Goan food which is much more sharp, but my absolute favourite food anywhere in the world is Tamil. I'm lucky enough to have ethnic Indian friends (Punjabi and Tamil) in Malaysia who have mother's all to pleased to let me into their kitchens as an observer/helper whilst they prepare food and bear with me asking lots of questions and scribbling notes.

Unfortunately for those who don't or can't cook, pretty much the only way to eat your way around India with it's sometimes subtle and sometimes explosive differences is to make those dishes yourself.

Youtube is an excellent tool to watch the techniques.

<snip for brevity>

regards Worgeordie

Was that the one in the Galare food-court area, we used to visit them often, in the days before we actually moved to live here ! thumbsup.gif

No not that one,the one i remember was on the main road ,couple doors up from the Burger King

on the corner,but that was 25 years ago,but still a fond memory.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

<snip for brevity>

regards Worgeordie

No not that one,the one i remember was on the main road ,couple doors up from the Burger King

on the corner,but that was 25 years ago,but still a fond memory.

regards worgeordie

That place was good and also Halal I think, used to eat there Fridays with an Islamic guy. RIP