Exporting Grandma to Thailand

roamer

When people go about these polls they often have an end result in mind and then need to justify it with a poll which are very easy to manipulate.You can just outright lie and make up data or you can influence the person you are polling by the way you form your questions. For example, when Americans are polled

Do you support the Affordable Care Act

vs

Do you support ObamaCare

vs

Asking specific questions about the rules of the affordable care act.

Also, a scientist you always must control variables. Many in nursing homes will be unhappy because they are sick, because their lives are coming to an end, because they may no longer be able to control their bladder and because of these things are likely to suffer from depression. So asking them general questions about their level of happiness might not be productive. A better method would be examining the full list of their options.

• Like 1

When people go about these polls they often have an end result in mind and then need to justify it with a poll which are very easy to manipulate.You can just outright lie and make up data or you can influence the person you are polling by the way you form your questions. For example, when Americans are polled

Do you support the Affordable Care Act

vs

Do you support ObamaCare

vs

Asking specific questions about the rules of the affordable care act.

Also, a scientist you always must control variables. Many in nursing homes will be unhappy because they are sick, because their lives are coming to an end, because they may no longer be able to control their bladder and because of these things are likely to suffer from depression. So asking them general questions about their level of happiness might not be productive. A better method would be examining the full list of their options.

Nursing homes are easy to check. Go to 10 and 9 will smell like pee.

The declining percentage of elderly in nursing homes in the US (and most likely other western countries) is the result of the rise of long-term care insurance, which provides for care-giving in the home longer, the rise of "assisted living" and other transitional long-term care arrangements short of full-on nursing homes, and the greater degree of independence of people to a higher age, concurrent with longer life spans.

Nothing to do with people actually caring for their parents at home themselves.

The declining percentage of elderly in nursing homes in the US (and most likely other western countries) is the result of the rise of long-term care insurance, which provides for care-giving in the home longer, the rise of "assisted living" and other transitional long-term care arrangements short of full-on nursing homes, and the greater degree of independence of people to a higher age, concurrent with longer life spans.

It is also due to older people being in better health.

I see, so people are just dumping their granny in the back woods?

Regardless of what is driving the reduction, the data is clear, extended families are once again on the increase in the west.

You might argue this is economic pressures, but they still exist, just like extended families in Thailand exist as a result of economic pressures and are reducing as a result of the growth in individual wealth.

And all the while the legal mechanisms to protect the elderly who loose the ability to take care of their own affairs exist in the west where they do not exist in Thailand.

Records showed that the 120-bed Atlantic Shores had a fire ant infestation for years. A pest control company came out weekly to spray for fire ants in patient rooms.

It was the second time in recent years that a Florida nursing home has settled with a family after a patient died of fire ant bites. A North Port home paid an undisclosed amount to the family of an 87-year-old woman who was attacked in 2000.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nursing-home-ant-bite-death-payout/

Been there done that and I'll take my chances in Thailand. Ever heard of death by fire ants here?

My family did this. It is not the right solution for everyone, but for , any people it is much better than the alternatives. In the U.S., good care might cost $15,000 per month. If you can't afford it, you probably get really lousy care. The choice is then do you want good care in Thailand for 70,000-90,000 baht per month, or do you want bad care closer to home? I think we made the right decision. Sent from my GT-N5120 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can find assisted living for as cheap as 4K USD per month. Obviously not in the major cities, but it's possible in some areas. The places aren't great, but they are available.

I've got mom here. 89 with dementia. It's a horrible disease. Maybe worse for the caregivers. It's terribly difficult. Luckily, full time care is available here for very small money.

I find it very strange that there was a big advertiser on this site last year promoting a care home for the elderly in chiang mai ,seing many elderly expats complaining here about getting a decent health insurance at an affordable price in Thailand i would like to hear the comments from those few elderly swiss suffering from dementia about their situation in Thailand because i am sure these people need a lot of medical attention and most of their health insurances in their home countrys will only pay out when staying in their home countrys for treatment and said care home is being run by a swiss guy just a bussiness advertisment i think .

Specially in a country where they can not even take decent care of their own poor,handicapped, and orphans.

Records showed that the 120-bed Atlantic Shores had a fire ant infestation for years. A pest control company came out weekly to spray for fire ants in patient rooms.

It was the second time in recent years that a Florida nursing home has settled with a family after a patient died of fire ant bites. A North Port home paid an undisclosed amount to the family of an 87-year-old woman who was attacked in 2000.

Been there done that and I'll take my chances in Thailand. Ever heard of death by fire ants here?

In the US the victim, the victim's family and the press have the unrestricted right to discuss the neglect of the people running the home, in Thailand the victim, the victim's family and the press might very well face criminal prosecution for speaking the truth about neglect.

That you have not heard of neglect in Thailand does not mean it does not exist.

• Like 2

An interesting Topic indeed.

On the subject of Dementia, though--as has previously been stated, this is not an easy disease to quantify--some sufferers are completely incapable of rational 'anything'--whilst others are perfectly able to sit down, in a social environment and have a normal, engaging conversation--this is certainly the case with the previously mentioned Step-Mother of @hermit who posted on the first page--I know this because said lady came to my house a couple of months ago after we had all been for a meal in a local, Chiang Mai restaurant; I chatted with her at length about her recollections of her life in UK, her current life in Thailand, and how she loves being here and would hate to have had to go into the Care Home near Bristol proposed by some of her family members.

Sadly, as @hermit has said this possible outcome has again reared it's head since the Self Appointed Deputy for the old lady has decided that he is not willing to counter-sign the necessary funding for the care given to her by her Step-Son and his family in Thailand and is trying, through the use of solicitor's letters, to forcibly return the lady to live alone in a Care Home, in an area of England that she has little or no connection with--having spent the last 20 years living with @hermit's father in Vienna, Austria.

This is in no way a typical case, but as with all aspects of our individual Aging Processes, there is no 'typical' situation.

I have encountered many elderly folks with latter stage Dementia for whom any Care Home, and particularly one in a Developing Country, is not going to be a pleasant option--in fact, without full-time, 100% family-based care nowhere is a suitable option.

When I was aged16 I did voluntary Sunday work at a Geriatric Care Home in the North of England--that experience has stayed with me to this day--anything short of a personal, one-to-one care is always going to be second best, even given the dedication shown by many carers in many homes.

I find it very strange that there was a big advertiser on this site last year promoting a care home for the elderly in chiang mai ,seing many elderly expats complaining here about getting a decent health insurance at an affordable price in Thailand i would like to hear the comments from those few elderly swiss suffering from dementia about their situation in Thailand because i am sure these people need a lot of medical attention and most of their health insurances in their home countrys will only pay out when staying in their home countrys for treatment and said care home is being run by a swiss guy just a bussiness advertisment i think .

Specially in a country where they can not even take decent care of their own poor,handicapped, and orphans.

"I would like to hear the comments from those few elderly swiss suffering from dementia about their situation in Thailand "

they keep trying to log in.....but

• Like 1

In the US the victim, the victim's family and the press have the unrestricted right to discuss the neglect of the people running the home, in Thailand the victim, the victim's family and the press might very well face criminal prosecution for speaking the truth about neglect.

That sure is true.

I took care of mom and pop till dad died and mom only spent a year out of 5 in a nursing home when she could no longer walk. In the States you have to spend down the relatives savings down to a home and car and $3000 cash if I remember correctly before they can get medicaid. So what cost me $500,000 in the US I could have done for $100,000 in Thailand. And I could have kept the $400,000. Although how I would have moved mom and dad to Thailand I don't know.

In the West long term health care insurance is the answer but not everyone is smart enough to buy it when they can. For those that don't the cost of full time care in Thailand is only a fraction of the cost in the West.

Having watched both alternatives here and the West the solution is clear to me (too late of course). I'd hire 3 full time caregivers in Thailand (in my house) and find a doctor who made house calls (not difficult in Thailand). I could do this for the same price as one caregiver in the States.

• Like 1

>> The west has been exporting its hippies, drug addicts, wanted criminals and sex maniacs to Thailand for a long time.

>>

>> Respectable elderly and consumers of medical services are definitely positive trend.

><deleted> ? why do you have "hippies" included in your list of undesirables? If you are trying to be inclusive, please include whichever catagory you place yourself in as we have too many here with similar attitudes already.

-------------------------------

no-hippies.jpg

dscn1530.jpg

Both of my parents ended their days in an old folks home.

It broke my heart, but there was nothing I could do about it as I was single and working in a remote area.

The issue really was that my parents refused to move off the farm, but when they finally couldn't look after themselves, there was no other choice.

They couldn't prepare food or wash themselves, they weren't taking their medicine and the house was filthy.

When I get ancient and decrepit I would be happy to end my time in a Thailand nursing home.

The only problem for me is that I would no longer be entitled to the Australian medical subsidy.

A bonus would be to escape the cold. A big issue when you are very old.

I've been actively researching the Thai and Cambodian dementia homes. There seems to be quite a few.

My 79 yr old mother has dementia, back in the UK. I spend 2 months a year there supporting her. The rest of the time, the burden rests with my brother, who is busy with work and family

Social Services are doing everything to keep her in her own home, providing 3 visits per day to administer meds and endure that she eats a hot meal. The point will come when she needs to go into a home, which really scares her.

I have considered bringing her out here, to live in an 2 bed apartment nearby with a live-in nurse, so that I could visit her everyday.

I have considered the medical expenses, but think that at her stage of life it is about making her comfortable. It makes little sense to put her through chemo etc

Has anyone had experience of doing something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been in two different places in Canada where the people are sent to die. Pathetic. One had a patient strapped to a potty chair. The care they were receiving was abysmal. People in their pajamas and a robe just sitting in their wheel chair in the hall ways looking off into nowhere.

I have had the privilege of seeing the care of an elderly gentleman here in Thailand. the care given was far better than what they could get back in the west. This lady stayed in the hospital until the Gentleman passed away. The care given here is far more personal than the care given in the old folks homes back in the west.

To the Thai's it is not just a business they care for the people.

A fairy tale that does not reflect the demographics of Thailand. The HSRI has been responsible for setting the agenda for elder care since 1992.

It is now in stage 5 of its plan HSRI’s new strategies focus on equitable and sustainable health system through an establishment of research alliances and collaboration with multisectoral partners to facilitate policy action through research

Unfortunately, for those who are of limited means it is a bleak end of life filled with the abuse, neglect and physical injury seen in the west. Do you know how many specialized geriatric health care providers there are in Thailand? You can count them on one hand. Alzheimer's is a difficult disease and has many stages and variations. A GP is not the most appropriate person to deal with it. Do you know what the primary treatment is? Sedatives. There are no art therapy classes, no swimming, no exercise or music classes as one sees in western or Japanese/Taiwan/Singapore elder care facilities.

Thailand is a nation comprised of haves and have nots. For the haves who can afford to pay for an attendant, then yes your story can and does happen. Much of the country is comprised of have nots who do not have the financial means to pay for a retirement home let alone the special care many elderly patients need. Thai families are smaller now and the kids are often scattered with one child often shouldering the burden of care. In many cases, the elderly have no one. This has been documented in scholarly articles, and social advocates have been warning the government for at least a decade of the issue. The sense of community is no longer there. In the good old days, neighbours would help, but not anymore.

Have a walk around and ask yourself why don't you see as many elderly people out and about, active as one might see in Japan or Germany. Yes, part of the reason is that the elderly are not as big a demographic as in those countries, but one of the main reasons is that elderly Thais are virtual prisoners of their homes once they reach a point where their limbs are weak or their eyesight is poor. Thailand is not a place to be if you need a wheelchair, or a cane or help getting up a curb. The rural working poor age quickly here. My best friend's father is 57 and he looks 77. The man spent 50 years in the rice fields and it shows. He'll most likely be dead by 65.

It is not unusual for children with behavioural problems or the elderly with dementia to be locked or tied up in a Thai home. Usually, strong sedatives are handed out. . It sounds cruel, but in a country where there are few if any elder care homes and the caregiver is often the sole person, it is the only option .You don't see it, but its out there. The reality too is that old people are often denied medication or have a fatalistic approach to illness because they are uneducated. It is a totally different approach to what you are used to. In Thailand, an elderly person especially a foreigner, without an advocate is more likely to be abused or neglected. Staff at elder cares the world over take advantage of the elderly, borrowing money or taking possessions. The advocate, whether it is a spouse, or a child is there to see that the patient isn't exploited and is fed and not left to sit in feces. In Thailand, like the west, often the elderly have no advocate to protect them from the abuse.

I was not talking about professionals. It is just starting here in Thailand. I was talking about people. Even in the for profit places they will receive better help because in spite of what the majority of expats On Thai Visa think about the Thai's they are a much more caring culture.

Sure if you ship grandma off here to Thailand and make no arrangements for her care it is going to be a very dark situation. On the other hand what kind of help is a person who would do that going to get for them if they keep therm at home. As I said I have been in a two places in the west where they were put to die.

I have seen one here in Thailand where it is a fledgling industry. I choose Thailand.

I did not give any detaila on the fellow I saw in the hospital here other than his care giver sat in the IC unit with him day and night with only medical equipment to look at.

I did not mention that as I was walking down the hall to the room he was in I saw many of ther patients had a Thai just sitting in the room with them. As I say Thai's are a far more caring culture than the western. They just don't have the cash to show the flash which seems to be more important to some people. I have had hospital care here myself. My Thai wife made sure there was some one with me 24 hours a day. She even slept there at night. The facts were that I needed no help what so ever from them. I could get up and go to the bathroom and take care of myself there. I could go to the refrigerator and get my own pop or turn the hot water kettle on and make my own coffee. Yet they were there any how. Knowing full well I could do all these things and it was only going to be a three day thing.

There are many farongs who come over here and make no provision for there care. No insurance and no close friends to watch over them. Many of them come here to use the Thai women for a different kind of care. They wind up friendless and poor.

I have been in two different places in Canada where the people are sent to die. Pathetic. One had a patient strapped to a potty chair. The care they were receiving was abysmal. People in their pajamas and a robe just sitting in their wheel chair in the hall ways looking off into nowhere.

I have had the privilege of seeing the care of an elderly gentleman here in Thailand. the care given was far better than what they could get back in the west. This lady stayed in the hospital until the Gentleman passed away. The care given here is far more personal than the care given in the old folks homes back in the west.

To the Thai's it is not just a business they care for the people.

A fairy tale that does not reflect the demographics of Thailand. The HSRI has been responsible for setting the agenda for elder care since 1992.

It is now in stage 5 of its plan HSRI’s new strategies focus on equitable and sustainable health system through an establishment of research alliances and collaboration with multisectoral partners to facilitate policy action through research

Unfortunately, for those who are of limited means it is a bleak end of life filled with the abuse, neglect and physical injury seen in the west. Do you know how many specialized geriatric health care providers there are in Thailand? You can count them on one hand. Alzheimer's is a difficult disease and has many stages and variations. A GP is not the most appropriate person to deal with it. Do you know what the primary treatment is? Sedatives. There are no art therapy classes, no swimming, no exercise or music classes as one sees in western or Japanese/Taiwan/Singapore elder care facilities.

Thailand is a nation comprised of haves and have nots. For the haves who can afford to pay for an attendant, then yes your story can and does happen. Much of the country is comprised of have nots who do not have the financial means to pay for a retirement home let alone the special care many elderly patients need. Thai families are smaller now and the kids are often scattered with one child often shouldering the burden of care. In many cases, the elderly have no one. This has been documented in scholarly articles, and social advocates have been warning the government for at least a decade of the issue. The sense of community is no longer there. In the good old days, neighbours would help, but not anymore.

Have a walk around and ask yourself why don't you see as many elderly people out and about, active as one might see in Japan or Germany. Yes, part of the reason is that the elderly are not as big a demographic as in those countries, but one of the main reasons is that elderly Thais are virtual prisoners of their homes once they reach a point where their limbs are weak or their eyesight is poor. Thailand is not a place to be if you need a wheelchair, or a cane or help getting up a curb. The rural working poor age quickly here. My best friend's father is 57 and he looks 77. The man spent 50 years in the rice fields and it shows. He'll most likely be dead by 65.

It is not unusual for children with behavioural problems or the elderly with dementia to be locked or tied up in a Thai home. Usually, strong sedatives are handed out. . It sounds cruel, but in a country where there are few if any elder care homes and the caregiver is often the sole person, it is the only option .You don't see it, but its out there. The reality too is that old people are often denied medication or have a fatalistic approach to illness because they are uneducated. It is a totally different approach to what you are used to. In Thailand, an elderly person especially a foreigner, without an advocate is more likely to be abused or neglected. Staff at elder cares the world over take advantage of the elderly, borrowing money or taking possessions. The advocate, whether it is a spouse, or a child is there to see that the patient isn't exploited and is fed and not left to sit in feces. In Thailand, like the west, often the elderly have no advocate to protect them from the abuse.

I was not talking about professionals. It is just starting here in Thailand. I was talking about people. Even in the for profit places they will receive better help because in spite of what the majority of expats On Thai Visa think about the Thai's they are a much more caring culture.

Sure if you ship grandma off here to Thailand and make no arrangements for her care it is going to be a very dark situation. On the other hand what kind of help is a person who would do that going to get for them if they keep therm at home. As I said I have been in a two places in the west where they were put to die.

I have seen one here in Thailand where it is a fledgling industry. I choose Thailand.

I did not give any detaila on the fellow I saw in the hospital here other than his care giver sat in the IC unit with him day and night with only medical equipment to look at.

I did not mention that as I was walking down the hall to the room he was in I saw many of ther patients had a Thai just sitting in the room with them. As I say Thai's are a far more caring culture than the western. They just don't have the cash to show the flash which seems to be more important to some people. I have had hospital care here myself. My Thai wife made sure there was some one with me 24 hours a day. She even slept there at night. The facts were that I needed no help what so ever from them. I could get up and go to the bathroom and take care of myself there. I could go to the refrigerator and get my own pop or turn the hot water kettle on and make my own coffee. Yet they were there any how. Knowing full well I could do all these things and it was only going to be a three day thing.

There are many farongs who come over here and make no provision for there care. No insurance and no close friends to watch over them. Many of them come here to use the Thai women for a different kind of care. They wind up friendless and poor.

Before I was married I was in the hospital here with insurance from my employer. I had two ladies 12 hours each.

They just sat there and made sure I was breathing. If there was a problem they called a nurse. Nice people. Quiet most of the time

or talked if I wanted to talk. They cut up my food and helped me to get to the toilet and shower. I think most hospitals have these

women on call if they are needed.

And all the while the legal mechanisms to protect the elderly who loose the ability to take care of their own affairs exist in the west where they do not exist in Thailand.

So what? Not hard to verify / guarantee good care, same as you would back home.

Much better value for money here, whether in your home or a facility

Before I was married I was in the hospital here with insurance from my employer. I had two ladies 12 hours each.

They just sat there and made sure I was breathing. If there was a problem they called a nurse. Nice people. Quiet most of the time

or talked if I wanted to talk. They cut up my food and helped me to get to the toilet and shower. I think most hospitals have these

women on call if they are needed.

Yes, it's pretty much a requirement here in Chiang Mai that a patient in a private hospital room have someone stay with them 24 hrs if there is any concern that the patient may possibly get themselves into trouble. Especially the first 24 hrs after surgery. The hospital wants to make sure that the patient doesn't injure himself getting an/out of bed or try to get in/out of bed if that's against doctor's order. Also, staff in private hospitals often don't do personal care like feeding, shaving, etc. They expect family members to do this for the patient. If someone doesn't have a family member available, then usually the hospital can make an off-duty staff person available, for additional charge, of course.

All the private hospital rooms have a sleeping sofa, refrigerator, microwave -- actually most are better equipped than many studio apartments and guest house rooms.

Part of the role of the person who stays with a patient is to keep the patient "oriented". I question how a Thai caregiver can do that if not able to speak the patient's native language. This is how you end up with patients who are tied to a bed or medicated with a chemical straight-jacket, when no one can explain to them where they are and why it's important for them to stay in bed and not try to get up. I hope these Swiss dementia care places have native speaking caregivers on staff to help in these situations.

That sure is true.

I took care of mom and pop till dad died and mom only spent a year out of 5 in a nursing home when she could no longer walk. In the States you have to spend down the relatives savings down to a home and car and $3000 cash if I remember correctly before they can get medicaid. So what cost me $500,000 in the US I could have done for $100,000 in Thailand. And I could have kept the $400,000. Although how I would have moved mom and dad to Thailand I don't know.

In the West long term health care insurance is the answer but not everyone is smart enough to buy it when they can. For those that don't the cost of full time care in Thailand is only a fraction of the cost in the West.

Having watched both alternatives here and the West the solution is clear to me (too late of course). I'd hire 3 full time caregivers in Thailand (in my house) and find a doctor who made house calls (not difficult in Thailand). I could do this for the same price as one caregiver in the States.

In response to the part I've highlighted in boldface -- this can be a good plan, IF someone is in charge of managing the three full time caregivers and calling in the doctor when needed. This would be a plan that "Bandersnatch" could put in place for his mother (he raised the question a few posts back)

The problem is in putting this plan together for yourself. By the time you get to the point that you need three full time caregivers and a doctor making house calls, you're usually not in a state to manage the administrative details of this arrangement. This gets to the point that has been raised about the lack of clear laws in Thailand in establishing trust arrangements for resident foreigners unable to handle their own affairs.

Unfortunately, foreigners in need of this arrangement often fall victim to exploitation (usually financial exploitation) and often outright neglect. The situation doesn't come to the attention of Thai authorities until the physical neglect becomes quite extreme and then only when Thai neighbors lodge complaints.

When I were 14 years on I used to visit three uncles on different periods depending when they were admitted.to what was then referred to then as the "workhouse. It was a gov. funded institution. All of my uncles were bachelors. All in their 70's. They used to sit around a room all day looking at nothing, I suppose you could say waiting for their demise. They arose from their bed a 6 am and sat their all day except for their meals. Then went to bed at 6 p.m. I thought at my early age that I would not ever like to be in their position. I got married but my wife passed away before me which is rather than the norm. I came to Thailand and married a Thai lady. I am not rich but can manage on what we have and she will take care of me until I pass. She will benefit from my death. Which is a small price to pay for being looked after.

I can't speak to the UK, never having been in a nursing home there. In the US the people who have frequent visitors have better care. The State inspections take care of the glaring faults but not much more than that. Most of the folks only have $3000 cash in a bank account (medicaid rules) so there is not danger of theft.

I like Thailand better because care is close and easy to get. No waiting at the hospital or clinic. Is it as good? I have had good and bad experiences.

The person being cared for should not have any money. The money has to be controlled by another party, relative or whatever. Lawyers here or in the West I am skeptical of. You pays your money you takes your chances.smile.png

In a similar situation - My Thai wife would welcome my Mom (Middle stage dementia - Alzheimer's).

It's a long shot for a thousand reasons.

I agree that the level of care here in Thailand would be (for the $$ paid) pretty good.

But -- What about the visa issues and the realities of the 90 day reporting requirements?

Anyone out there with experience advice on that?

Regards - ken

Just today I was talking with a friend who is caring for her mother in her home, having brought her over from Canada. She said it's a real shame they have to maintain a 800,000 baht retirement visa bank account for Mom, when, in fact she's a dependent of her daughter (my friend) and really should be granted a dependent's visa in much the same way a wife would be granted a visa on her retired husband's visa.

But, the daughter is able to handle all the paperwork associated with maintaining 95 year old Mom's visa and 90 day reporting no problem with a letter from the doctor saying that Mom isn't capable of managing her own affairs. Also, there's a Power of Attorney that Mom signed in Canada before she left giving Daughter power to handle all her financial and business affairs, like visa and banking stuff, plus a Last Will naming Daughter as the Sole Heir. Daughter just has to wave those documents around, and offer to drag the Immigration officers out to the car to look at Mom whenever she goes to Immigration to take care of 90 day reports and the visa extensions for Mom. The documents are in English and were done in Canada, but nobody looks at them very carefully; they just want to know they exist.

Edited by NancyL