Vote against me if you want me out: caretaker PM Yingluck

webfact

Vote buying is an excuse. By all accounts,all of the major parties have & continue to use this tactic. Thaksin Shinawatra & family are only the 10th richest in Thailand, according to Forbes (2013), so how is it they they have such overwhelming finances to dominate the political landscape? Newin Chitchob was used by the Dem coalition to outbid PT in the north & north-east, but was spectacularly unsuccessful. The reds/PT called for international observers for the last election, but they were denied by the Dems, who of course don't respect 'farang'.

This is just one of a few choice excuses used by the opposition to try & explain the simple fact that they are not well enough supported to win a general election.

The Reds DID NOT call for observers for the last election... who told you this...Your wife no doubt... whatever, its a complete fallacy... at no time in history has Thailand asked for international observers... Get your facts right ..

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both logical and reasonable. Don't really understand the vote buying argument. Both sides apparently do it.

Not sure how effective it is. Once you are behind the curtain you already have the money and vote your

conscience anyway. wink.png

• Like 2

Very simple and logical way to do it. No one gets hurt and the ecomony is not effected. The problem is that Suthep and his brainless idiots can't see how easy it really can be. Let the people have the say on election day and if you loose then accept it like adults and not spoilt little rich kids throwing tantrums.

Shows just how stupid this post is..... The whole anti-government movement is about Thailand ridding itself of this corrupt, unprincipled , and stupid government ....

.......and replacing it with an entirely different corrupt, unprincipled and stupid government, but this time not elected.

Very simple and logical way to do it. No one gets hurt and the ecomony is not effected. The problem is that Suthep and his brainless idiots can't see how easy it really can be. Let the people have the say on election day and if you loose then accept it like adults and not spoilt little rich kids throwing tantrums.

Shows just how stupid this post is..... The whole anti-government movement is about Thailand ridding itself of this corrupt, unprincipled , and stupid government .. not about giving them the opportunity to buy their way to power again...

and replace it with a corrupt dangerous raving lunatic and his equally corrupt band of nut cases. Yea now that is real sensible and logical. Let the people vote for who they want.

If you think elections are stupid then that is your right if you prefer a dictatorship then that is also your right.

Edited by chooka

Now that the halfway point in the election period has passed, it is sober to take stock. At the moment, the election is poised to be held without 28 constituencies, more than the 25 allowable for parliament to constitutionally open. And that is not taking into account the " no " votes in other parts of the South and Bangkok which are - at least in some cases - going to overwhelm the leading candidate. And there is no expectation that any future elections or by-elections will alter that result. In a very real sense, the end of the Thaksin era was inexorably set in motion on December 9 when parliament was dissolved. Because there is now no expectation that it will ever be able to be re-opened. The Yingluck administration has been effectively locked out of governance for what appears to be a perpetual state of dissolution. There now seems no way forward outside of a reform process, set in motion by Yingluck's resignation. The administration can decide to try to violently quell the protest movement - as seems their clear inclination - but at the end of the day, this administration has inevitably come to an end.

they would win anyway I believe and i know Thais will vote whichever way they want but, granted, there is 'influence' bought on both sides and it is plainly WRONG but its not the reason PTP won[/size][/background]

Agreed. The reason PTP won probably had a lot more to do with the dismal election campaign the Dems put on, and the fact that they kept their election promises within the realms of possible reality, rather than absurd fantasy.

With regards people taking money and voting how they wish, my parents were just the other week saying how it used to be common practice on election day in the UK, for political parties to send out minibuses to old people's homes, lay on tea and biscuits, and offer to personally chauffeur people to and from the voting booth. No money exchanged hands but a powerful sense of obligation was established in the minds of the recipients. These sorts of tricks, as well as the more blatant ones putting money directly in voters hands, have been around since the ballot box was invented, and are done for a very good reason.

• Like 2

"Vote against me if you want me out: caretaker PM"

We might all make fun of our Barbie girl puppet PM, and we may all enjoy it, we must however take into account that actually it won't be her decision anyway to decide her fate 'cause her brother in Dubai control her like a mindless puppet.

Rich teacher said " the Dems do not like farrangs", Who really loves us here, and why don't they ??? looked upon as ATM only by government--money is all they relate to. Who started the get out 90 day visa runs ???? who is opposed to a farrang owning 40x40 patch of land ????

In the early days Who put Thailand on the map as a tourist destination ???? who spread the word around the world this is theeeee place to visit ??? who came in their droves from the west and splashed money around ?? Who made thousands of Thai rural people more rich. ???? and gave more money to people than Thaksin has ever done. ???

The west does not deserve some of the treatment dished out here. Forgetting us and concentrating on China.

If you want reform you do not let the PM heal the wounds as she said----if they are not healed in 3 years they will never be---sorry Yingluck it is not washing.

Look at YOUR record over 3 years shameful, you are in complete denial along with some posters here, who cannot take your record on board. Your dog ravages your child--He has to go -you will not trust again.

Are you using Google Translate? It's hard to make sense of what you're trying to say here. Child ravaging dogs is a new twist.

In the 2007 election Peua Thai and Dems got more or less equal numbers in the Party List system (a more accurate reflection of nationwide support), yet PT got 48% of MPs deems 35%, due to the weighted constituency proportions. Then you have the small parties who will 'go where the money is', so you have a coalition with a strong parliamentary dominance, led by one party which is led by one unelected person, thinking they are 'the majority'. Can't you see the shortcoming then?

Madam, we are not seeking to beat you at the elections we are seeking to hold you, the elected leader, accountable. Something you seem to have overlooked.

I assume you have read the reults. If so, this is, plain and simply, a lie

PTP; 15.7million

Democrats, 11.4m

Please try to make an argument based on something even vaguely approaching the truth. Disingenuous claims are not helpful

Prbkk your figures are from the July-2011-election, virtualtraveller is clearly ("In the 2007 election") talking about the December-2007 one, so not "plainly and simply, a lie" or "disingenuous claims" after all. wink.png

Some might consider an apology to be in order ? wai2.gif

Rich teacher said " the Dems do not like farrangs", Who really loves us here, and why don't they ??? looked upon as ATM only by government--money is all they relate to. Who started the get out 90 day visa runs ???? who is opposed to a farrang owning 40x40 patch of land ????

In the early days Who put Thailand on the map as a tourist destination ???? who spread the word around the world this is theeeee place to visit ??? who came in their droves from the west and splashed money around ?? Who made thousands of Thai rural people more rich. ???? and gave more money to people than Thaksin has ever done. ???

The west does not deserve some of the treatment dished out here. Forgetting us and concentrating on China.

If you want reform you do not let the PM heal the wounds as she said----if they are not healed in 3 years they will never be---sorry Yingluck it is not washing.

Look at YOUR record over 3 years shameful, you are in complete denial along with some posters here, who cannot take your record on board. Your dog ravages your child--He has to go -you will not trust again.

Are you using Google Translate? It's hard to make sense of what you're trying to say here. Child ravaging dogs is a new twist.

Crazy--you full well know what I'm talking about without this B/S remark get real and not avoid my post.

The comparison of having someone or thing hurt you so bad--you do not trust it again---(government) your avoidance to answer the wrongs is your problem without using a lame dog sick pig (as the saying goes) excuse like your reply.

I am sure you knew what I meant if not you have a problem. you must use google translate to know about it ??? your weak answer to my post is true to your attitude to corruption--you can tolerate it or you would cry out against it

Agreed. The election is there for the people to decide. Otherwise it will loose it purposes. Why do they allow situation to get out of hand.?This is not about her and it is grudge against the other family and using the people to fight his war. The nation belongs to the people and not to just one person.

Desperate for the election because she knows her brothers cronies will fix it so they can't lose then she can ram through his amnesty and she is out letting the fugitive take over..

"Let's talk and even though we have different opinions we do not need to be divided. Please do not pass on these conflicts to our children. Turn our differences into a force to solve problems for the country," she said.

But Thaksin / PT / cronies / Yingluck are creating problems for the children by stealing the people's money for themselves, the rice scam, taking out the 2 trillion loan to pay for it ( which future generations will be stuck trying to pay back ), first car, first house, tablets and by perpetuating the corruption since it allows you to get away with murder, quite literally !

• Like 1

Agreed. The election is there for the people to decide. Otherwise it will loose it purposes. Why do they allow situation to get out of hand.?This is not about her and it is grudge against the other family and using the people to fight his war. The nation belongs to the people and not to just one person.

I have aired my feelings on too much-but to get any sense out of the voters you have to show them/teach them that no way they will receive money at the BOX and your vote will only allow you to vote for politicians without any blemishes.

All Thais to be treated the same, not favour Issan and forget the south.

I was here when Thaksin said ( southerers) if you do not vote for us you will get no benefits/perks, that is 1 reason he is not welcome there.

Had he said that to Issan people he would have been well forgotten by now.

In the 2007 election Peua Thai and Dems got more or less equal numbers in the Party List system (a more accurate reflection of nationwide support), yet PT got 48% of MPs deems 35%, due to the weighted constituency proportions. Then you have the small parties who will 'go where the money is', so you have a coalition with a strong parliamentary dominance, led by one party which is led by one unelected person, thinking they are 'the majority'. Can't you see the shortcoming then?

Madam, we are not seeking to beat you at the elections we are seeking to hold you, the elected leader, accountable. Something you seem to have overlooked.

According to wikipedia, while the proportional vote was more or less even at 14M each, PPP took the constituency vote by 26.2 to 21.7 million. That is why they had more seats in parliament.

Who can tell me where the missing party list votes went? Did large numbers of people vote for their local MP but not cast a party list vote?

Crazy--you full well know what I'm talking about without this B/S remark get real and not avoid my post.

The comparison of having someone or thing hurt you so bad--you do not trust it again---(government) your avoidance to answer the wrongs is your problem without using a lame dog sick pig (as the saying goes) excuse like your reply.

I am sure you knew what I meant if not you have a problem. you must use google translate to know about it ??? your weak answer to my post is true to your attitude to corruption--you can tolerate it or you would cry out against it

Middle Eastern, I'd guess. Excitable. So once you've got rid of the democratically elected child ravaging dog (CRD), what are you going to replace it with? I'm still waiting for the name of even one of Sutheps 499 'good people'. Interested to know who's going to do the appointing, too. Who's the big APPOINTER? Possibly the lame dog sick pig (as the saying goes)? Better the CRD you know than the CRD you don't, I say.

(ThaiVisa is great. I'm learning new English phrases every day).

Great idea because the Shin dynasty have more money than the opposition with which to buy votes. Without any reform, the election is simply a financial transaction as it is sold to the highest bidder. The number of posts I have seen banging on about a democratically elected government is heartbreaking. How is buying an election democratic?

As both International Moderators and Thai moderators of the last election have already stated that the election of Yingluck was legitimate and fair. As stated before, in any western society, in an unpopular area for the current government in power all they do is promise infrastructure, better roads, schools, hospitals etc and deliver on these. Simply another form of vote buying, one tangible and beneficial, the other type, being cash payments less so; but obtaining the same effects. Wake up people we live in Thailand.

Will the next government be less corrupt then this one? Did anyone complain when Thaksin built the Skytrain, upgraded motorways, new airport, and other infrastructure in the east and north east? Noooo.... So before you answer BTS users, he did do some good to the country. And what politicians dont line their pockets?? Ahh American ones for sure, with all Obama's deals going to firms where nearly all the polies have shares in.

People, where not living in a dream land, here or in the west. Stop expecting one and get on with life as best as one can. There is no perfect form of government either in the east of the west, they, in my mind are all just as bad as each other. The only difference is that one is more transparent. Heartbreaking indeed!!

In this kingdom you cannot use the word transparent, it is near non existent . it is free for all, from the top to the farm. Pity for the others who want clean government. Here the cancer is malignant and terminal.

• Like 1

Didn't people vote against her in the last election?

Her party got less than 50% of the votes.

So what you really are saying is that you have no knowledge or concept off politics? Thailand does not have a two-party system and 265 out of 500 is pretty impressive, and in most cases considered a landslide.

• Like 1

Middle Eastern, I'd guess. Excitable. So once you've got rid of the democratically elected child ravaging dog (CRD), what are you going to replace it with? I'm still waiting for the name of even one of Sutheps 499 'good people'. Interested to know who's going to do the appointing, too. Who's the big APPOINTER? Possibly the lame dog sick pig (as the saying goes)? Better the CRD you know than the CRD you don't, I say.

(ThaiVisa is great. I'm learning new English phrases every day).

Like most people here I do not have persons I could nominate, only a female who I swap for the PM anyday she happens to be in BURMA (Myanmar)

or other persons we cannot speak about in connection with politics, If there are persons like PREM or similar bring them on please.

All the others --walk the plank for dishonesty .

What is the point of an election when the likely winner will be an autocratic government taking orders from an unelected criminal? There is more to democracy than elections and one man one vote, and the supporters of the losing parties have as much right to a law-abiding responsible government as the winners.

Yo have to remember who made him a criminal with trumped up charges and a witch hunt and coup to remove him THE PEOPLE KNOW THAT which is why they have NO PROBLEM with him helping sis out to run the country because if he was allowed back HE WOULD BE THE PM because the Majority would vote him in

Like it or NOT thats the truth and you guys and the yellows just cant stand that so the only way is to seize ILLEGAL control again taking it away from the majority who voted the government in.

Great idea because the Shin dynasty have more money than the opposition with which to buy votes. Without any reform, the election is simply a financial transaction as it is sold to the highest bidder. The number of posts I have seen banging on about a democratically elected government is heartbreaking. How is buying an election democratic?

As both International Moderators and Thai moderators of the last election have already stated that the election of Yingluck was legitimate and fair. As stated before, in any western society, in an unpopular area for the current government in power all they do is promise infrastructure, better roads, schools, hospitals etc and deliver on these. Simply another form of vote buying, one tangible and beneficial, the other type, being cash payments less so; but obtaining the same effects. Wake up people we live in Thailand.

Will the next government be less corrupt then this one? Did anyone complain when Thaksin built the Skytrain, upgraded motorways, new airport, and other infrastructure in the east and north east? Noooo.... So before you answer BTS users, he did do some good to the country. And what politicians dont line their pockets?? Ahh American ones for sure, with all Obama's deals going to firms where nearly all the polies have shares in.

People, where not living in a dream land, here or in the west. Stop expecting one and get on with life as best as one can. There is no perfect form of government either in the east of the west, they, in my mind are all just as bad as each other. The only difference is that one is more transparent. Heartbreaking indeed!!

Good post - realistic, insightful, true.

• Like 1

paying people doesn't guarantee they will vote for you. The dems paid my wife's family last time and they voted for Yingluk. Took the money and thought suckers.

People will still vote for whoever they want

You keep saying this... not everyone is like your wife's family, many will vote for who paid them...

What if i told you that in one study only 4% answered that they would change they're vote when offered money? Most people are not as stupid as you think, and are clever enough to take the money and vote for what they originally intended. Some people even only accepts bribery from the party they originally intended to vote for.

I can add link if you are interested in reading the article, but is it allowed to post links from Asiancorrespondant.com here? Don't understad all the rules on this page.

Edited by Dualeck
  • Like 1

Desperate for the election because she knows her brothers cronies will fix it so they can't lose then she can ram through his amnesty and she is out letting the fugitive take over..

"Let's talk and even though we have different opinions we do not need to be divided. Please do not pass on these conflicts to our children. Turn our differences into a force to solve problems for the country," she said.

But Thaksin / PT / cronies / Yingluck are creating problems for the children by stealing the people's money for themselves, the rice scam, taking out the 2 trillion loan to pay for it ( which future generations will be stuck trying to pay back ), first car, first house, tablets and by perpetuating the corruption since it allows you to get away with murder, quite literally !

Suthep's breathtakingly spectacular corruption in 1995 collapsed the elected Democrat party government in which he had been Minister of Agriculture and corruption supremo.

Anyone who believes this guy now must needs be considered a fool.

• Like 1

What is the point of an election when the likely winner will be an autocratic government taking orders from an unelected criminal? There is more to democracy than elections and one man one vote, and the supporters of the losing parties have as much right to a law-abiding responsible government as the winners.

Yo have to remember who made him a criminal with trumped up charges and a witch hunt and coup to remove him THE PEOPLE KNOW THAT which is why they have NO PROBLEM with him helping sis out to run the country because if he was allowed back HE WOULD BE THE PM because the Majority would vote him in

Like it or NOT thats the truth and you guys and the yellows just cant stand that so the only way is to seize ILLEGAL control again taking it away from the majority who voted the government in.

Thaksin is more popular when he is throwing his money at them if that dried up he would fade--he knows that.

You may well be right about him getting votes to be PM again. making him still popular, but he also is a despised man at many levels of Thai society, so he would be on edge and never turn his back when in public. If he was to RULE again he would have to do a big U turn. but he does not have that in him.

money ego limelight is what he knows best.

• Like 2

Someone may not understand why Millions of people protesting since over 2 months.

Reform before Election...very easy to understand...

But Ms. Stubborn and the rest of the gang, include their credulous followers think, they can sit it out...

This is the Taksin democracy, thers no place for other meanings, and by the way, this Government is the bankrupt of Thailand.

Elections dont solve the problems, it make them worse...coffee1.gif

Millions protesting are you sure?

Yes and we have seen the millions outside of Bangkok protesting too... Ahh is something missing here? oh yes, the majority of Thailand, not just people from Bangkok and southern or central regions. Oh, does one really know what democracy really is. Just a question to ponder....

Suthep's breathtakingly spectacular corruption in 1995 collapsed the elected Democrat party government in which he had been Minister of Agriculture and corruption supremo.

Anyone who believes this guy now must needs be considered a fool.

It seems that many posters here tolerate the corruption of the current government because it was voted in.