Airasia To Launch Bangkok - Langkawi Service

george

LANGKAWI: -- AirAsia will offer direct flights between Bangkok and Langkawi soon, Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said.

He said Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid had agreed to allow the low-cost carrier to offer the service after a meeting with the AirAsia management recently.

AirAsia was expected to be operate three flights per week for the route to enable foreign tourists in Bangkok to come to Langkawi directly, Bernama News reported.

"We hope AirAsia will also offer Medan-Langkawi or Aceh-Langkawi service in the future," he told reporters after meeting tour operators and local community leaders here last night.

--Antara News 2006-05-17

If and when the Thai Consul is up and running fully in Langkawi, this would make an excellent alternative for visa runs.

Langkawi is a beautiful island and there's superb duty-free shopping as well.

Penang is getting a bit tired these days!

any idea of duty free prices of spirits,cigarrettes etc in langkawi backpack

any idea of duty free prices of spirits,cigarrettes etc in langkawi backpack

Got to be honest, it's been a while since I've been there. I used to go a lot when I lived in the south but now it's a bit further.

The spirits and fags though are not much different from Thai prices, however on my last trip I got some electronic bits and bobs down there, stereo, computer speakers etc. and they were cheaper than here.

Langkawi used to be great for computer bits, mobile phones. Must be 3 years since I was there but with this new flight I'm very tempted to take the family down for a holiday.

Bintang used to be well cheap , but I haven't been there for nearly ten years.

A large beer was less than a Ringgit , which was about 10 baht back then.

And this price was in bars , the equivalent in THai bars for the same beer size would be about 90/100 in those days.

Taste like fish a little bit though....

:o

Edited by chonabot