Labor Union press on 'Chadchart' to fire THAI's management

webfact

Labor Union press on 'Chadchart' to fire THAI's management

BANGKOK, 6 Jan 2014, (NNT) The Thai Airways Labor Union will hand in a letter to Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt tomorrow to follow up on the progress of the union's demand for the removal of the Thai Airways current chairman and the acting president.

According to Mr. Damrong Waiyakanee, President of the Labor Union of Thai Airways, Thai's Chairman Ampon Kittiampon and its Acting President Chokchai Panyayong have caused huge losses to the company and contributed nothing to the airlines since they have been with the company, despite their extremely high salaries and benefits. Mr. Damrong said if the two were allowed to continue to stay in their positions, they would eventually bankrupt the national carrier.

The union has no plan to go on strike at the moment as it wants to give the Transport Minister ample time to look into the issue, added the union boss.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-06 footer_n.gif

Ampon being a Thaksin crony and a former Cabinet secretary-general of the PTP. Nice being able to get a huge salary and benefits for doing nothing.

What do you expect him to do?

Answer phone in the call center?

Serve chicken/fish in Eco class?

• Like 1

Could be some people want Thai to go broke. They could then just buy it up cheaply at a government auction.

Arisman the wannabe airline mogul could do it! clap2.gif

Im sure, they sell him a few Jets for a special price, maybe a new ricedeal...3 years old stocked rice in nice packages for Tourists...cheesy.gif They do everything for the poor farmers and want only their best, their land...rolleyes.gif If any other Airline would take them? sad.png Or anybody else from this club of loonys...cheesy.gif Painting disaster away and found that a ugly ghost have responsible...cheesy.gif Scotty, beam me up...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Ampon being a Thaksin crony and a former Cabinet secretary-general of the PTP. Nice being able to get a huge salary and benefits for doing nothing.

He was appointed to Thai Airways in 2009 and has been Secretary General to the Cabinet since 2010. Not surprised he does little at Thai, given his many other roles.

Could be some people want Thai to go broke. They could then just buy it up cheaply at a government auction.

Au contraire. In the main, state owned airlines are inefficient and uncompetitive. Privatize the airline now and transfer the employees' pension fund liability and the cost of medical benefits to the new private sector company. You will soon see a marked improvement in performance across the company and a curtailment of the abuse of priviliges.

Singapore Airlines seems to do pretty well though...

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

Nothing whatever to do with Thaksin. This goes back to the elite bleeding the company dry through free tickets, upgrades, hiso privileges. It has been known for DECADES. How may Isaan looking people did you ever see working on a Thai plane? Light skin preferred.

There ya go with the "Elite Hi So" thingy again and erroneously conflate Issan, dark skin as the reason that Thai Air is going down the tube.

It's ridiculous to assume that dark skinned people or Issan looking people, (which is a discriminatory remark on you part) or Hi So perks are the reason for Thai's demise.

The airline business is brutal, and there is no room for incompetent leadership.

• Like 1

Au contraire. In the main, state owned airlines are inefficient and uncompetitive. Privatize the airline now and transfer the employees' pension fund liability and the cost of medical benefits to the new private sector company. You will soon see a marked improvement in performance across the company and a curtailment of the abuse of priviliges.

You're spot on Empty but that's Singapore... I'd think it'd be more of a contrast that a comparison. If I were Thai Air... I'd be looking at what Singapore does right.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Nothing whatever to do with Thaksin. This goes back to the elite bleeding the company dry through free tickets, upgrades, hiso privileges. It has been known for DECADES. How may Isaan looking people did you ever see working on a Thai plane? Light skin preferred.

Ok.....but shouldn't he have at least tried to stop this?

He's a crony.....even the unions know this....and maybe plenty of Thai employees....

I don't understand what the Isaan reference is meant for....all airlines have preferences for their staff....

"Au contraire. In the main, state owned airlines are inefficient and uncompetitive."

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. I'm simply suggesting that if certain people wanted Thai to go broke then they would reap the benefits of it's demise and lucrative routes.

What do you expect him to do?

Answer phone in the call center?

Serve chicken/fish in Eco class?

Well I dont care who he is but I sure as hell knows that THAI is going down down. They started Thai SMILE (what a bloody joke) as a low cost carrier to compete in the Asian market YET THEIR PRICES REMAIN as high as NORMAL thai (the supposed full service arm) carrier.

So why bother? Someone is dumb as hell. they have not dropped a fare lower than NORMAL thai flights since they started nd their service is all that went lower.

• Like 1

The TG personnel are concerned only about their own jobs and guaranteed salaries. They are not concerned about who runs the company as long as the person doesn't interfere with the labour union's activities.

If SQ was doing so well, why did it terminate 76 pilots as it cut costs and downsized last year?

Remember the Reuters report from May 2013?

(Reuters) - Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIAL.SI) reported weaker-than-expected full-year results and warned of a deteriorating environment as it struggles to cope with the rapid emergence of Gulf carriers and low cost Asian rivals.SIA is attempting a big strategy overhaul, pushing into the budget airlines segment and expanding its regional network.

Here's a reality check: SQ is not burdened by labour contracts and pension obligations like TG. Nor does the Singapore military oversee SQ operations. I suggest you look at the military relationship with TG and you will find part of the problem. TG's labour force are for the most part not particularly impressive. The client facing personnel can at best be described as snotty. I was on the shuttle to Hiong Kong the other day, seated in Royal Silk. After dinner service on this 2 1/2 hour flight, the FAs disappeared to sit and chat in the galley. I brought my coffee cup, table cloth and napkin to them after waiting 20 minutes for a refill. I left the cup and linens on the galley service counter. The FAs got the message and showed up shortly thereafter to clean up. That's the type of personnel onboard TG today.

My sentiments and experiences ENTIRELY. I also fly SQ and have to state that the SQ ECONOMY i OFTEN better than thai Business. THAI people in business are as lazy as they come compared to other nations and I am sad to state this but it is from a varety of experience over 19 years

<<SNIP>>

I was on the shuttle to Hiong Kong the other day, seated in Royal Silk. After dinner service on this 2 1/2 hour flight, the FAs disappeared to sit and chat in the galley. I brought my coffee cup, table cloth and napkin to them after waiting 20 minutes for a refill. I left the cup and linens on the galley service counter. The FAs got the message and showed up shortly thereafter to clean up. That's the type of personnel onboard TG today.

20 minutes is a long time.

Whenever I fly Biz Class and I don't see a Flight Attendant, I have no qualms in pressing the FA button on the multimedia controller. Any airline - even SQ.

I think the FAs are fine with this - they don't need to patrol the cabin very often for me.

The Thaksin magic dust: jobs for the boys = economic shambles.

Strike 2 with the rice scheme.

The Thai Airways share price has fallen by 60% in the last six months.
With the right insider information you can earn a lot of money.
Simply buy leverage papers on falling prices.

Would be interesting to know who has earned in the last half Year massively money.

BTW, my pet peeve about TG: the FAs don't treat everyone equally.

I once flew First Class on TG from Australia to BKK when they had First Class on this route.

There weren't many passengers in this cabin, but the FAs were fawning all over someone in Row 1. I of course did not recognise who the Thai person was - politician? Lord/Lady? Hi-So? (but definitely not a major royal - even I would recognise one)

I felt as if the Farangs at the back of the same cabin were seen as distracting from their obsequiousness to the Elite personage. Although I bet we paid full price for our 1st class tix, whereas the V.VIP probably got a complimentary ticket.

My sentiments and experiences ENTIRELY. I also fly SQ and have to state that the SQ ECONOMY i OFTEN better than thai Business. THAI people in business are as lazy as they come compared to other nations and I am sad to state this but it is from a varety of experience over 19 years

However bad THAI may be I will take the THAI business class seat over the Singapore Airlines economy class ticket any and every day of the week.

Any time you want to make a swap just let me know.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

You might have to wait some time for structural reforms from the Thaksin regime. After all, their rosette is firmly pinned to the rice scheme which has not only firmly entrenched current practices but made them far worse. Having useless management in state controlled companies not much different than having useless individuals running ministries in the cabinet. Their prime responsibility loyalty to Thaksin. So jobs for the boys it is then and long may it 'ahem, continue.

Speaking as someone in the industry.

If you really, really want to know how not to run a state airline, I would suggest you study the Greek flag carrier, Olympic (in its many incarantions).

Trust me, TG is a monument of efficiency compared to them, and the cronyism at TG pales into insignificance compared to Olympic.

That said, I fly a lot, though not as much as in the past, and TG is far from a bottom tier carrier. Could they be better, absolutely, and I would be one of the first to notice it.

Speaking as someone in the industry.

If you really, really want to know how not to run a state airline, I would suggest you study the Greek flag carrier, Olympic (in its many incarantions).

Trust me, TG is a monument of efficiency compared to them, and the cronyism at TG pales into insignificance compared to Olympic.

That said, I fly a lot, though not as much as in the past, and TG is far from a bottom tier carrier. Could they be better, absolutely, and I would be one of the first to notice it.

Ah, Olympic. Lived there for 18 months. That airline really was treated as a politicians taxi.

Obama appointed Mrs Harry Clinton as state secretary but she also running a president candidate as the interest of the nation are top priority , politic second. Thailand talking about democracy but doesn't really understand about it. The last president was doing a good job by making the national carrier a reverse profit but due to political problems have to removed him, what a sad moved .

Edited by Bkungbank