Thai PM fends off emergency decree for Bangkok

webfact

Thai PM fends off emergency decree for Bangkok
By Digital Content

13889871234998-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra gave assurances today that an emergency decree will not be imposed in response to the anticipated Jan 13 seizure of Bangkok by anti-government protesters.

She said the government will closely monitor the situation and asked protesters to abide by the law, complaining that the months-long demonstrations have damaged the country and impacted foreigners’ confidence in Thailand.

A number of countries have warned their citizens against travelling to the kingdom, she said.

Ms Yingluck said the government will weigh pros and cons of activating an emergency decree which will be the final option in dealing with the political turmoil.

She described as an infringement of individual’s right a threat by protesters to cut electricity and water supplies to the homes of the PM and some top Cabinet members.

The caretaker PM repeated her attempt to persuade protesters to dialogue on national reform.

Anti-government protesters have insisted that national reform must take place before an election.

Ms Yingluck inspected and gave moral support to police and military units deployed at Suvarnabhumi Airport in preparations for the Jan 13 “Bangkok shutdown.”

Deputy metropolitan police commander Adul Narongsak said police and military personnel will be assigned to 20 major locations, covering 64 intersections, in Bangkok on Jan 13 during which urgent mobile equipment, cranes, tow trucks, ambulances and helicopters will be on standby to deal with disturbances.

He said security forces, backed up by 60 extra groups, will be on guard at government properties and residences of leading government members, covering 30 locations.

In Ratchaburi province, protesters blocked the entrance to Ratanaraj Bumrung School in Ban Pong district this morning to bar Science and Technology Minister Pirapan Palusuk and Pheu Thai candidate Chavoralat Chinthammit from entering the compound to officially open the Science Week. The opening ceremony was called off. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-06

Yingluck insists emergency decree last option
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra insisted on Monday that declaring an emergency would be the last option in dealing with the current protests.

She said the emergency decree was a harsh law was likely to lead to more violence.

"It will be the last option but I would like to say that we are trying not to use it," Yingluck said.

On Monday, Yingluck visited the Suvarnabhumi International Airport to provide moral support to security officials. Twelve companies of policemen and two companies of troops were deployed to ensure security at the airport.

While Yingluck was making the inspection, policemen applauded and shouted "PM fight on", prompting her eyes to brim with tears.

The troops applauded only when instructed to do by a police spokesman over the public address system.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-06

While Yingluck was making the inspection, policemen applauded and shouted "PM fight on", prompting her eyes to brim with tears.

The troops applauded only when instructed to do by a police spokesman over the public address system.

Easy to see then where allegiances lie. Police pro and army anti the shinaclan.

• Like 1

The end of the Thaksin era in essence was already set in motion on December 9 when parliament was dissolved - because, unwittingly it seems - it appears that the administration has backed itself into a perpetual state of dissolution, as the new parliament will be at least 28 constituencies shy, and therefore constitutionally unable to open. There really are no viable options for the Yingluck administration to remain in power, as even a desperate attempt to quell the protest movement by force will not change the projected reality on the ground of a parliament that is not sufficiently filled to convene.

• Like 2

"While Yingluck was making the inspection, policemen applauded and shouted "PM fight on", prompting her eyes to brim with tears.

The troops applauded only when instructed to do by a police spokesman over the public address system."

So the troops didn't get the memo. Heads up for us all there, check e mail before start work.

She said the government will closely monitor the situation and asked protesters to abide by the law, complaining that the months-long demonstrations have damaged the country and impacted foreigners’ confidence in Thailand.

Is it not at all possible that some of the PTP policies re rice, flood control, car loans etc might have had an impact on the economy, or is the present set of dire financial circumstances only the fault of the protesters?

Not too hard to figure out I guess.

yes, that is true but the markets would have made that judgement leading to a correction. Unfortunately, the power-crazed Suthep decided to take the country to the edge before that happened. It is very hard to believe that he did that, Nuremberg style, for the good of the country.

Jeeze, How can the markets make an adjustment if nobody will say how much has been lost by the Rice Scam, Flood Scam, over to you red leader one.

• Like 1

One can only think that a emergency decree for Tim-buck two would be more effective than one for BKK, total waste of time , not one person will take a scrap of notice, so it's a good decision caretaker PM yingluck and you never had to do a bloody thing.

The final paragraph of this article is very sad.

When students have worked hard to show their projects

off and their reward is a cancelled Science Week then the

powers-that-be have to stand up and do something about it.

Only the opening ceremony was cancelled. Not having to listen to some boring, idiotic politician seems to be a real bonus to me! They are probably thankful.

Completely disagree. This could be the only chance these kids get to meet a VIP ( no matter what politics). It's horrible that some crazies decide, NO, the kids can't meet that guy. Absolutely pathetic. Thailand , like everywhere, needs to get kids interested in science. Having bullies interfere with that is lousy, but hardly surprising in this ongoing lunacy.

• Like 2

Typical Yingluck / PTP statement. We have no intention of invoking the Emergency decree then two paragraphs later we will deiced whether or not to invoke the emergency decree. Obviously one of these is redundant like so much of this woman and her cadre's rhetoric.

Does she read Thai Visa?

Or at least somebody translates to her the farangs comments?

Most probably!

I wish she did read this but alas... i feel she has more loot than all of us combined so she dont give a toss...

Is it not at all possible that some of the PTP policies re rice, flood control, car loans etc might have had an impact on the economy, or is the present set of dire financial circumstances only the fault of the protesters?

yes, that is true but the markets would have made that judgement leading to a correction. Unfortunately, the power-crazed Suthep decided to take the country to the edge before that happened. It is very hard to believe that he did that, Nuremberg style, for the good of the country.

Jeeze, How can the markets make an adjustment if nobody will say how much has been lost by the Rice Scam, Flood Scam, over to you red leader one.

He has no idea. He simply tries to blame Suthep for anything and everything. He conveniently and completely ignores the lies, corruption, cheating, illegal acts and inept mismanagement of his favored PTP.

He likes comparing Suthep to Hitler and Mussolini but never seems to equate Thaksin to Stalin, Moa or Mugabe.

A little biased and the least intelligent rhetoric of the pro Thaksin dictatorship supporters.

• Like 1

The final paragraph of this article is very sad.

When students have worked hard to show their projects

off and their reward is a cancelled Science Week then the

powers-that-be have to stand up and do something about it.

Only the opening ceremony was cancelled. Not having to listen to some boring, idiotic politician seems to be a real bonus to me! They are probably thankful.

Completely disagree. This could be the only chance these kids get to meet a VIP ( no matter what politics). It's horrible that some crazies decide, NO, the kids can't meet that guy. Absolutely pathetic. Thailand , like everywhere, needs to get kids interested in science. Having bullies interfere with that is lousy, but hardly surprising in this ongoing lunacy.

Why would a child be impressed by a crooked mp, I shat in the Queen Elizabeths bogger, and I still feel like a VIP, does that count?

I am not an economist by any means, nor very well versed on Thai political history, but I'm just wondering how you view the financial circumstances as dire. Please explain.

You will appreciate that S&P. have just rated the forecast as stable and not downgraded Thailand's financial ratings. Have they missed something? Not being on one side or the other as I live in the U.K. at present, but listening to many vitriolic comments re Thaksin and his cronies plundering the resources of the country, I am somewhat perplexed as to peoples' reasoning. Is it not a fact that he in fact lowered Thailand's National and Public Debt whilst in power, and at the same time managed to release Thailand from the grips of the IMF by repaying Thailand's loan.

Does this not at least imply that he did better than the previous administration? May one ergo presume he lined his own pockets less than them also.

I was by the way living in Thailand from 2004 until 2011, so was there during the last bloodless coup d'etat in 2006. Anything I have said is factually incorrect or I am misinformed Please Advise. Kindest Regards

she said the government will closely monitor the situation and asked protesters to abide by the law, complaining that the months-long demonstrations have damaged the country and impacted foreigners’ confidence in Thailand.

• Like 1

Easy to see then where allegiances lie. Police pro and army anti the shinaclan.

This time those soldiers who have officers aligned to the elite will remain in the barracks and the Water Melon conscripts will be on the front line. Revenge is a bitch when served very cold