changing my thai childs surname to my own ...advice please

kranuan

If the child has British citizenship then you can apply by deedpoll, very quick, cheap and simple.

If the child is a Thai citizen then you must apply at the local Amphur, but be warned a friend of mine tried to change a Thai child's surname to his own to circumnavigate the complex adoption process and was told flat out by the amphur official. "they will not change a Thai child's surname to a farang name!"

Hope to have helped.

If the child has British citizenship then you can apply by deedpoll, very quick, cheap and simple.

If the child is a Thai citizen then you must apply at the local Amphur, but be warned a friend of mine tried to change a Thai child's surname to his own to circumnavigate the complex adoption process and was told flat out by the amphur official. "they will not change a Thai child's surname to a farang name!"

Hope to have helped.

Good advice, deed poll is a doddle, many expats have probably done it before moving.

Changing the name to a foreigner's in Thailand is not easy, if at all possible.

By law a Thai person must have a name that has a meaning in Thai. exceptions are made for persons marrying foreigner and their off-spring.

I gather you raise the children, but are not the father. That means they cannot have your name.

Some amphurs are very strict in this, others have a more open approach. You can try the amphur and ask to change the names to the mothers current last name (is your last name), but if they refuse they are going by the rules.

so the kids now in uk, he goes to school in uk with his thai surname , when school writes to his parents they address the kids in our surname, confusing !! thanks anyway

What is even more confusing is when the child has been using a non thai surname in the U.K for years.

Their exam result qualifications and NI card come as the original thai name.