Air quality bad in many areas, Thai PCD director says

webfact

Air quality bad in many areas, PCD director says
Janjira Pongrai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- AIR QUALITY has dropped to a level where it could affect the health of people living in many parts of Thailand, including Bangkok.

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has advised people to stay indoors if smog is visible. Or if they really need to go out, they should wear face masks.

PCD director general Wichien Jung-rungruang revealed yesterday that the amount of particulate matter of up to 10 micrometres in size (PM10) soared to 244 micrograms per cubic metre of air near highways in Samut Sakhon.

"It's way above safe levels," he said. The PM10 amount should be less than 120 micrograms per cubic metre of air.

There was also bad pollution in Saraburi's Chalerm Phra Kiat district - 200 micrograms of PM10 per cubic metre of air. The PM10 amount also reached 182 micrograms in Nonthaburi's Muang district and 176 micrograms in Pathum Wan in Bangkok. In Khon Kaen's Muang district, the PM10 amount reached 146 micrograms. In Ayutthaya's Muang district, 143 micrograms of PM10 particles were recorded.

"Ozone concentration is also higher than safe levels in many areas," Wichien disclosed. The safe "limit" for ozone is no more than 100 parts per billion (PPB).

"But it's 119 PPB in Bangkok's Bang Na district and 112 PPB in Phya Thai district," Wichien said. He also pointed out that smog was now visible over Bangkok and several other provinces.

Songkran Agsorn, deputy director-general of the Meteorological Depart-ment, said without strong wind over recent weeks, dust had gathered in Bangkok and the air quality had dropped.

"This situation will likely drag into the middle of January," he said. But he was more concerned about smog in the North. This problem is usually caused by locals lighting fires to clear land. But it occurs both in northern Thailand and across the border in neighbouring countries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-07

Yes, now the cold weather and early morning dampness is going the burning, which began in December , will begin again in earnest and the north will be a huge health hazard to one and all.

Thinking of your holidays, avoid the north of Thailand - Chiangmai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hongson etc for the next 3 to 4 months,

I live in Nonthaburi, near Impact, and I see heavy smog every day for the last three weeks or so.

Many times I can actually smell smoke, maybe from burning of fields.

Never experienced such heavy pollution in my 3+ years in bkk.

It's been disgusting in BKK for the past 10 days or so. Each day getting worse with today about as bad as I've seen. It's been so thick that we couldn't see Baiyoke II through the soup. Growing weary of Chinese air quality in Thailand.

• Like 2

I am in Phetchabun. Views are limited in the day. You can only see blue sky if you look somewhat upward. Out along the horizon it is constantly hazy and you cannot even see the sun set--it just fades away into pollution above the horizon. It's been this way since October when the rains stopped. The general population is busy burning everything they can as usual. Bicycling often get the sickening smell of smoke from freshly burned areas by roadsides or driving by putrid smoke from someone burning their plastic bags. Have to keep the doors and windows of the house closed to keep the smoke out as all the villagers are burning wood day and night to stay warm even in 80 degree weather. I have been here long enough to know the air quality deteriorates until the rains come which means there are much more miserable weather months to come. So the article stating "This situation will likely drag into the middle of January" must be a joke I don't get.

Edited by canopy
  • Like 1

The clear photo is from end of November when the northern cool air started blowing over BKK.. It was clear like that for a few days.. For the past 2 weeks it's been disgusting.. The hazy photo is from today..

post-85907-0-58151300-1389059114_thumb.j

post-85907-0-00155700-1389059124_thumb.j

Edited by kotsak
  • Like 2

The clear photo is from end of November when the northern cool air started blowing over BKK.. It was clear like that for a few days.. For the past 2 weeks it's been disgusting.. The hazy photo is from today..

Lovely view. (on a clear day)

Lets see if we can beat China as most polluted country in Asia, we are already number one in alcohol consumption http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/infographic/alcohol-consumption-thailand/

So lets find waste and start burning plastic, wood, oil, tyres, foam, leaves lets burn everything that we can find and see if me can make as much smoke as possible.

Also lets blow-up some car engines so they will create blue and black smoke as much as they can when they drive through our streets and don't forget to create some traffic jams so they have to wait for about 30 minutes and let the engines run.

So look for your lighter, go out and BURN - BURN - BURN - BURN - BURN - BURN - BURN

• Like 1

Suthep et al can say they are shutting down Bangkok as a health measure for the good of the people. Sort of "clear the air" strike. Here in Jomtien the air is bad also. Can't see Ko Larn lots of the time. Lots of nose blowing....

Yes, now the cold weather and early morning dampness is going the burning, which began in December , will begin again in earnest and the north will be a huge health hazard to one and all.

Thinking of your holidays, avoid the north of Thailand - Chiangmai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hongson etc for the next 3 to 4 months,

How long does the northern haze last? May/June?

I was thinking of doing a road trip up that way.

Here is a night view ;)

post-85907-0-60886600-1389076507_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here is a night view wink.png

Not to lead to more thread drift, but that really is a lovely view. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

All the ships are nearly in the same position. Anchor area?

Not so many these days but yes, there are 5-6 ships that anchor here almost daily, plus some random big cargo ships berthed at the dock next to the rice storage facilities (it takes them days to fill them up).

Here is a night view wink.png

Agree. Great view. Where about is ur building? South/East side of the river bank? Bang Na?

Played tennis over the weekend in BKk and I can feel the burn in my lungs. Just like when I was a kid in LA in the 70's. First Stage smog alert, mean you can only be outside for no more than 15 minutes.

Edited by aimbc

Agree. Great view. Where about is ur building? South/East side of the river bank? Bang Na?

Yannawa, along Rama 3, close to the entrance of the Industrial Bridge. My view is towards Khlong Toei and during very clear days I think I can see the airport to the far east :D.

Don,t go until it rains for a week,in rainy season Mae Hon Song has unbelievable pollution, and of course it,s those horrible Myanmar/Lao people doing most of it.

Yannawa, along Rama 3, close to the entrance of the Industrial Bridge. My view is towards Khlong Toei and during very clear days I think I can see the airport to the far east biggrin.png.

Ahhh, sound like Pano area.

Don,t go until it rains for a week,in rainy season Mae Hon Song has unbelievable pollution, and of course it,s those horrible Myanmar/Lao people doing most of it.

Thanks. Might aim for the end of the rainy season in October/November then.

Yannawa, along Rama 3, close to the entrance of the Industrial Bridge. My view is towards Khlong Toei and during very clear days I think I can see the airport to the far east biggrin.png.

Ahhh, sound like Pano area.

Yeah, Pano is a bit more south... Way too expensive :>

yes burnings start in the evening,

so they cannot be traced, you think ?

if cought, what to do? call police ?

we did before, and they replied: the people promised to keep it to a minimum ....

no fine, no nothing !

laws, rules, the only excist on paper in this country

Holy #$%^ !!! A picture says a thousand words. I know there are a lot of Chinese coming here lately, but I think they come to escape the smog....

Thanks. Might aim for the end of the rainy season in October/November then.

The advice you read was written in a confusing way. Clearest air is during the rainy season. October and November this year were dry and bad. But beware even in the rainy season all it takes is a couple consecutive days of sunshine and the fire bugs will be lighting everything they can ablaze and the air quality and views start to suffer and deteriorate every day until it rains again.