Thai army chief mum regarding possible coup

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayuth says govt must be held responsible if violence breaks out

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha said the government would be held responsible if violence happens during the Bangkok Shutdown rally on Monday.

He said the government would be required to take responsibility by the principle if the people clash or kill each other or riote.

He said he hopes that there would be no violence and anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-07

Hes contradicted himself in that statement...the government wwould be held responsible...and....anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible. Doing as Mr Thaksin told him..sit on the fence til I tell you what to do. Helps when you have the commander in chief on the subs bench

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha said the government would be held responsible if violence happens during the Bangkok Shutdown rally on Monday.

He said the government would be required to take responsibility by the principle if the people clash or kill each other or riote.

He said he hopes that there would be no violence and anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-07

Hes contradicted himself in that statement...the government wwould be held responsible...and....anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible. Doing as Mr Thaksin told him..sit on the fence til I tell you what to do. Helps when you have the commander in chief on the subs bench

No he didn't contradict himself. The Nation did with their inaccurate sensational headline and subtitle. This is what he really said according to the journalist who wrote the article:

...the government would be required to take responsibility...
Edited by diceq

Brace for impact.....civil war is approaching. This won't be simple coup like 2006.

Totally agree. No yellow ribbons tied to guns this time. I read stories sometime back about reds buying masses of weapons, sold by soldiers, after the last slaughter in Bangkok and a similar documentary was aired on Al Jazeera. They knew certain groups would never allow their government to rule so next time the army couped they would not be going to seize back power with slingshots and homemade rockets.

The army knows whats coming ...this time the opposition will be firing back. 10,000,000 conscripts who know how to fire weapons...we <deleted> up their general!!!!!!

• Like 1

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-07

No he didn't contradict himself. The Nation did with their inaccurate sensational headline and subtitle. This is what he really said:

He said the government would be required to take responsibility...

and he said...anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible. Anybody is not just the government

• Like 1

and he said...anyone who causes violence, he or she must be held responsible. Anybody is not just the government

I take that to mean anybody except the government or the police. But then again it could have been lost in translation.

Prayuth leaves open to a lot of interpretation of what the military's role is and will be. I guess that's called Option Planning. He does seem to indicate a scenario wherein Yingluck can call for a state of emergency that, if made under the proper circumstances (destruction of government property, public facilities, critical services, injury of government & public workers), would activate the military's involvement in a defense posture against the deminstrators. But he also indicates that the government itself could be as responsble as the protesters, ie., counter-protesters? In any case Army Day on Jan. 18th is perfectly timed to have military forces on hand. We'll know soon how Occupation Bangkok evolves.

This guy hates Thaksin, hates the red shirts, was a key player in the coup and the 2010 crackdown, etc etc. So you know which way he wants the wind to blow... basically, he's looking for any excuse to bring in the tanks again. The wildcard is that he's set to retire this year, so if he wants one more try for the brass ring, it has to be soon. Doesn't bode well...

It sounds like Yingluck has been fired from her role as the Minister of Defence.

Yes, I must confess that in the world I know it is the rogue general who gets fired by the Minister of Defence.

So, you must be a newcomer here.wai2.gif

I was here during the troubles in 1992 - these things can spin out of control quickly. I was working for a Thai language newspaper at the time. One of our reporters brought in pictures of two fairly large trucks overflowing with corpses (mostly students - 50 or more.) The editor refused to publish the photos fearing for his own safety and the safety of the staff.

That night, while trying to sleep, I could here bullets flying around and one hit our house and went right through the wall where my roommate was sleeping! We got sleeping bags and slept on the lawn near a cement fence thinking it was safer taking our chances with the snakes!

It was exciting, but really scary & sad. I hope it doesn't get that bad this time.

One good thing - in over 30 years of living in Bangkok - I never saw fewer traffic jams. Except for military vehicles the streets were almost empty. (I've got a picture of my friend laying down in the middle of Sukhumwit! (Pre BTS)

Edited by dazzle

It sounds like Yingluck has been fired from her role as the Minister of Defence.

Yes, I must confess that in the world I know it is the rogue general who gets fired by the Minister of Defence.

Well, I do have a few more than 7 posts, but then I suppose you have all too many under your old username. My post was more a reflection on how things are in the countries that most TVF posters come from, rather than an expression of any great surprise about events in Thailand. You'll see if you look at threads from a week or two ago that I posted a reminder of Prem's views on the jockey and the stable owner - which lays out the traditional Amart doctrine on these matters.

Well, I do have a few more than 7 posts, but then I suppose you have all too many under your old username. My post was more a reflection on how things are in the countries that most TVF posters come from, rather than an expression of any great surprise about events in Thailand. You'll see if you look at threads from a week or two ago that I posted a reminder of Prem's views on the jockey and the stable owner - which lays out the traditional Amart doctrine on these matters.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to be taken seriously.

By stating the government must be held responsible if violence breaks out, the army has pinned their colours to the mast. Basically its like saying to Suthep that if he can get a small group to kick off, he can have the keys to the kingdom. Violence is now more likely than ever.

Thai and non-Thais, who knows, have been killing themselves to the tune of 6-7000 in the Thai south. Countless tens of thousands maimed and injured. Yet the Thai army has no medicine at all let alone strong medicine for the Thai south.

I think he's waving his massive stick around, trying to make all sides paranoid enough to avoid the worst excesses of their ambitions. Army-spiel par excellance.

Exactly. And I think he seems like a good enough guy. The army seems more reasonable than the politicians.

So for Thai Army Day, I look forward to seeing the parades throughout all of Bangkok and especially all occupied major intersections. Let's see if they demonstrate their cool military vehicles with live rounds too. For the sake of Thai Army Day of course.

I think the army-chief is waiting for his political-boss, the Minister of Defence, to ask him & his jolly men-in-green to do a coup & press the political re-set button, so that the Red-Shirts can't blame him/them, like in 2010 ? facepalm.gif

And then today ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694978-pm-yingluck-dismisses-coup-plot-with-army/

BANGKOK, Jan 8 - Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday dismissed a report that she has asked the army to carry out a coup d'etat to end the political crisis.

and some people say, the government doesn't read ThaiVisa ?! laugh.png

From where I am standing I see no alternative but a coup. It,s just a shame that in the past the military have proved themselves woefully inept at running the country. If only Khun Anant felt like another stint at interim P.M. smile.png Left to their own devices the shawawatras will do more for Thailand than the Marcos family did for the Philippines, the star of Asia 50 years ago and look at it now smile.png IMHO (that,s humble, not honest) the only way forward is for the formation of a party that is not so magalomaniac and addresses the needs and fears of all. That,s not so difficult I,m sure, but I would need additional part-time work to keep as busy as I like to bee smile.png

Thai army day.....thought they said the tanks were coming for children's day ?......is someone telling porkies again ?

I think it's all to do with the quantity of hardware on the move - if you ask me children's day and army day are very convenient to cover hardware and tro(u)p movements on a large scale, I had a feeling about this a few days ago

I wonder how many PT MP's are filling their undies right now or have left the country already

oh, that is good news for all investors

and visitors to thailand

might be or might be not...

hope everybody cancels their trips & investments

but hey, what is thailand famous for ?

and those kind of tourists, they would even come if bangkok was burning...

they all head to pattaya or phuket anyway for some good time.... being 30 days millionaires and then returning to their home country saving up for then next trip

Brace for impact.....civil war is approaching. This won't be simple coup like 2006.

There will be no Civil War here... It's just not gonna happen, Relax and have a drink on me if you wish.

I did because I am always open for good advice. 1.8 ltr. in fact and thought things over. But I am even more worried now. There is enough fuel amongst the people to start a C.W. And an extremely persevering ousted PM working from abroad.

Yingluck who is very very popular not only with her voters but internationally too. Thousands of soldiers thinking Red.

Anarchistic jokes on 2 legs already responsible for deaths. When I saw Suthep on TV reclaming his hatred while a Buddhist monk was sitting behind him........as if Lord Buddha decided Suthep is the enlightened one. Scaring business this time, not 2006 when the Reds were pretty surprised / overruled.