Should I Cancel my Trip to Bangkok?

Jonathan Fairfield

If you're not already in Thailand I'd advise you to cancel any plans you have to fly into Bangkok. Go to the Philippines instead.

If you're already in Thailand I'd advise you to go to Bangkok.

dear Billm your advise it's not smart at all.

I guess the poster doesn't visit the "bread and circus for plebs" areas and other places are with out any problem.

Or you don't like guests ?

I don't like tourists. I'd give the same advice all tourists: Don't come, and if you do stay in Bangkok (because I don't live there)...

Thai Visa is an amazing place ... so full of interesting characters.

Some, more interesting then others.

Sadly Bill, you are not one of them.

BTW ... other people, not Tourists, have Business or Family in Bangkok, thus not Tourists.

Just saying like ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[if you're already in Thailand I'd advise you to go to Bangkok.]

I think he left out 'not' but is too shy to admit it. Stupid advice regardless.

So it wasn't a typo. It would have been "Smarter" to have stated his reason at the time: that he hates tourists around him. How self-centred is that?

Edited by laobali

Bangkok boringen als always.

Arrived the 8th, leaving now 12th, after lunch, haven't experienced any hindrance from Suthep's actions.

Airport closure?

Not today any time soon.

Leave the city to you guys,55555

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

RE:Should I Cancel my Trip to Bangkok?

Heres my 2cents worth...

I live in the Rama 4 road area not to far off the boxing stadium , and all seems OK at the mo...

If you have a Job/Business or Family in Bangkok, then I would NOT cancel.

However, If a tourist with family and you leave Bangkok shortly after arriving...say to go to the Islands etc,. ETC. Then just avoid the dodgy areas in Bangkok.

The other thing to consider is see if your travel agent can offer a full refund or change destination?

Then what the <deleted>*k do I know i've only been coming here for 23 years...violin.gif

AND wondering how this is going to affect my visa run to Poi Pet this Thursday 16 Jan!coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Edited by CaptainPeacock
  • Like 1

Asoke is one of the affected intersections, but took a stroll along Suk. toward there around 4:30 this afternoon... Quiet, not much traffic, but shops, restaurants, banks, exchange windows... all open. Some shops inside mall bldgs closed. Very very few of the usual sidewalk vendors. Some taxis running; no busses though. Around 5 there was a march towards Asoke. Music, singing, flag-waving, crowd from one sidewalk to the other. The Asoke area itself seemed more like a rock concert than a political rally during the short time I was there. BIG crowd though. Food & drink stands. Sort of a holiday or festival atmosphere. No signs of anybody seizing anything...

Edited by hawker9000

Asoke is one of the affected intersections, but took a stroll along Suk. toward there around 4:30 this afternoon... Quiet, not much traffic, but shops, restaurants, banks, exchange windows... all open. Some shops inside mall bldgs closed. Very very few of the usual sidewalk vendors. Some taxis running; no busses though. Around 5 there was a march towards Asoke. Music, singing, flag-waving, crowd from one sidewalk to the other. The Asoke area itself seemed more like a rock concert than a political rally during the short time I was there. BIG crowd though. Food & drink stands. Sort of a holiday or festival atmosphere. No signs of anybody seizing anything...

Yep, dead right... I walked down Sukhumvit from Ploenchit to Asoke late this afternoon too. Rarely have it seen it look so peaceful. You could walk quickly without having to dodge people, food carts and stalls and even the air smelled fresher than normal. It was so incredibly relaxing, and I wish Bangkok was like this all the time. It was almost like I imagine the city might have been 20 years ago when there was probably 1/3 the number of cars on the roads there is today. Blissful experience! Every cloud has a silver lining.

Im still here living near Democracy Monument and Khoasan Road. I haven't changed where I walk or when I walk or go somewhere. I cant speak for all Bangkok, its a huge city but where I live its as usual. Khoasan Road has less tourists though. 40% of all air ticket bookings to Thailand have been canceled. around 300.000 booked tickets. I have Swedish crones, Before 1 Crone: 4,3 Baht now 1 Crone almost 5 Baht, never been this good for a long time.

Hello,

I found info about this free shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Muang Airpot:

http://www.pausethemoment.com/bkk-to-dmk-for-free/

Anyone knows if this route is affected by the protests ? I will arrive to Bangkok at February 7th. I'm sure no one knows what the situation will be like then, but how it is now ?

Here is a map on yahoo showing the blockade locations, I live in Silom just outside and don't really have any problems getting into the city.

http://news.yahoo.com/protesters-mobilise-ahead-planned-thai-capital-39-shutdown-080603449.html

I flew out of BKK on the 14th, and had no problems whatsoever, but out of caution caught a taxi very early in the morning. There was so little traffic the driver didn't even use the tollway. He was a cheerful type and we chatted quite a bit; he was very curious to know how foreigners, esp. friends & relatives back home, viewed the whole thing, what they were seeing in the news, etc. For his part, based just on the events of the 13th, he said he didn't think traffic through Suvarnabhumi was being much affected. And based on what I saw myself, it looked like a typical morning there. When I mentioned that what little I witnessed at Asoke on Monday seemed more like a festival or holiday atmosphere than a political event, he strongly agreed. "Goods times, goods times!" smile.png