is not returning to a topic annoying or not....

rct99q

Just curious if I am the only one....but many times I see a topic read a few replies add one of my own and then never return to see what has happened. Or return a day later only to see another 300 posts added and don't bother reading through them all to see if anyone has added or read your comments.

I know there are some function keys to 'watch" a topic but really who has time.

Do you find it annoying when a poster never returns to a topic after you have added to their comment/s?

I actually find it more annoying (or hilarious, depending on how you see it) when posters fail to get an understanding of the topic itself. I can understand that one might not want to read through 10 pages of posts, but I dont hink it's too much to ask that they read the FIRST post.

To answer your question, I dont find it annoying. One should never expect replies from a single specific poster on a forum even though a discussion sometimes transforms into a private discussion; something a forum was never meant to be. That's just my personal opinion, and as usual - I can be wrong.

• Like 1

I think people often have very narrow ideas about what a forum could or should be. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...OR, their perception of an internet forum is just as narrow as your own, only in a different part of the spectrum.

The trick here is to admit that there's no hard rule, and that we cant always expect others to behave in a way that it fits our view. Accusing someone of NOT acknowledging your deeds is probably the ONLY thing that's rude in a situation like this.

Personally, I dont feel the need to get acknowledged for me deeds. Thais say "pidt thong lang phra".

But again, just an opinion...

Edited by Forethat

Who is actually going to read through 300 replies to a post ? Impossible to stay "on topic".

So, eventually it will happen, that after the 50iest reply, an automatically generated message will appear on the screen saying something like: "Topic exhausted, veering off to far from OP's comment. Isolate key words or sentences and start new Topic based on those key-words or sentences."

Administrators, Moderators may want to give it a thought.

Cheers.

The posts I find most annoying are those where the poster is seeking advice on a vague or ridiculous proposition e g:

Hi I'm writing an essay on the history of the world. Do you have any advice on where I should start and the details of any sexy 18 year old girls who would be prepared to help me ? I'm a retired vegetarian and don't pay tax in the UK. Thanks for any help.

This may be of help to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1rnFvrkFc

I find discussions about "what annoys me about the behaviour of random strangers on the net" to be annoying.

Including this very reply of course, I often annoy myself, so I take it out on everyone else. . .

I find discussions about "what annoys me about the behaviour of random strangers on the net" to be annoying.

Including this very reply of course, I often annoy myself, so I take it out on everyone else. . .

But are they random strangers. They may be anonymous, but I seem to get a particular image of a person based on some of their replies and avatar.

Like jjngthing -i get the image of a 40ish, spectacled book wormish kind of guy who probably played d&d

And was the go to guy in the chess club.

Viilagefarang - i picture a Jean-luk Picard type figure from Star Trek, older, mature, always coming up with the right words at the right time, but insecure about his hair loss.

Edited by rct99q
  • Like 1

Thank you for your replies. Will help me sleep better at night knowing that I did not need to add a follow up to any reply I may post.

As for my first reply above.....your thoughts on what......let's say.......Neeram looks like? To be honest I have always pictured Barbara Walters...no idea why?!

Cute fantasies, and of course "relatively real" relationships often develop in these fora, but then those participating at that level aren't showing the kind of behaviour the OP is complaining about.

Only a very small subset of those posting here make that level of effort.

Interesting question - which group do you consider more healthy and normal?

8-)

Viilagefarang - i picture a Jean-luk Picard type figure from Star Trek, older, mature, always coming up with the right words at the right time, but insecure about his hair loss.

Rugs, plugs, comb-overs and hats are insecure, I’m boldly bald and don’t hide my dome. There was some debate on my Google+ image, as to whether I looked more Star Trek, Vampire or Lord of the Rings, and whether I should change my eyes from blue to red.laugh.png

• Like 1

The annoying one for me, and I consider rude, is when somone starts a post, then never returns to comment again or say "thanks" if they asked for info or advice.

If people take time to offer help or give info, atleast the OP should have the courtesy to acknowledge it.

You are so right Charlie, I have asked advice a few times, and always go back to see replies and comment on them. but if you have four or five columns, it can be hard to answer them all. But it is still nice to acknowledge them.

It is annoying to answer to questions when using a search engine on the net can give so many answers.

TV members can. and do, give their own experience about posters questions, which in my opinion, is much better than Google.

I enjoy the threads, I read most of the reply's, just do not read the post of the posters I feel are trolls, that only respond to attempt to get an emotional response from a personal attack, all the others I will read.

Many interesting Threads, many uninteresting, I mostly enjoy the Farming and Western food forums.

Cheers