CM2 closed

The Dancer

It seems the CM2 dance club in the basement of the Novotel, Siam Square, closed from Jan. 1. It was a great place in its day, which was till a couple of years ago, before starting to lose out to all those little clubs that began sprouting like mushrooms. Of late the big fella was pathetically empty.

When I poked my head into the Novotel a couple of nights ago the security guy told me CM2 would reopen in a couple of months after "renovation". Anyone know if this is true? The location is great and they have tons of space. All they need is a bit of imagination and investment. Heck, Spasso down the street and equally upscale seems to be doing just fine.

Well, here's hoping my favorite dance club rises from its ashes.

He did say "equally upscale" so maybe that upscale is pretty low... smile.png

CM2 was always (at least in the past 5 years or so) pretty downmarket and tacky. And when they opened the smoking room it was magnificently grim, dimly lit, stinking of smoke and sweat. They sometimes had a vodka slide thing though- that ice sculpture where they pour vodka straight down an ice chute into your mouth. So, y'know... it wasn't all bad.

edited for spelling

Edited by Rumblecat

it was such a weird club, but good god the band they had several years back was actually pretty good.

the crowd was this crazy mix of awkward businessmen of various ethnicities who weren't sure how to act in a club and aggressive eastern euro/russian women..and tourists

• Like 1

it was such a weird club, but good god the band they had several years back was actually pretty good.

the crowd was this crazy mix of awkward businessmen of various ethnicities who weren't sure how to act in a club and aggressive eastern euro/russian women..and tourists

But great for people watching and seeing the Arabs being swept up by the forward ladyboys whilst shyer flowers nervously nursed a drink.

Went to Spassos the other night with the missus and another female friend , awful American band , lots of showy ageing farangs and 1020 baht for two small Singhas and a gin and tonic. Not much than a five star bar beer these days.We left after one drink and decamped to Khao San road where we had a whale of a time and seems like a lot of young Thais hang out there along with the farang 'kee nok' but not surprisingly no 'ladies of the night' . Dirt cheap and great for people watching and all the hawkers and hustlers. After our friend took us through the protest camp which was interesting.

But great for people watching and seeing the Arabs being swept up by the forward ladyboys whilst shyer flowers nervously nursed a drink.

Went to Spassos the other night with the missus and another female friend , awful American band , lots of showy ageing farangs and 1020 baht for two small Singhas and a gin and tonic. Not much than a five star bar beer these days.We left after one drink and decamped to Khao San road where we had a whale of a time and seems like a lot of young Thais hang out there along with the farang 'kee nok' but not surprisingly no 'ladies of the night' . Dirt cheap and great for people watching and all the hawkers and hustlers. After our friend took us through the protest camp which was interesting.

you are spot on about the people watching at CM2, and I also agree about KSR. People some time give a hard time because "its not the real thailand", but to be honest, you could say that about so many places. Its just a unique place in BKK, its own beast you can say, and I have a good time almost every time I go because there is a lot of crazies feeding off each others energy and a number of small drinking places where you can meet people from all over the world.

• Like 1