Preperations To Work In Thailand

Dear members,

I'm (since october last year) planning to work in Thailand.

I'm of Dutch-Indonesian origin and not totally uncommon with the (at least) Indonesian 'ways', since my father was born there and grew up the Indonesian way (rather than the European /colonial way).

At my last visit to Thailand I contacted a mostly Farang lead IT-recruitement centre and

was told that, since their would be an expected growth in the IT industry of 17% in 2004, there's a reasonable demand for Farang IT proffesionals.

I also realise that in order to find work one should be based in bangkok for at least 6 months.

Trough surfing the internet (and a lot of Bangkok related sites) I found out that one could set up a base in Bangkok reasonably easy (condo, appartment etc.).

Another thing I would do is to familarize myself with the Thai culture (courses, selfstudy).

I'm looking for ways to get in contact with people, organisations, etc. who can help me to get an IT job or who can tell me more about setting my self up in Bangkok to achieve my goals.

One last question.

The only visa I can obtain here in the Netherands would be a tourist visa (3 months). I thougth this could be extendend. Does anyone now if this can be done in Thailand?

I have studied the thaivisa.com related subjects and are probablly just lazy to ask this question in the hope that someone with similar expierience will be helpfull to awnser this.

Any help would be greatfull,

Thanks for you assistance,

Edwarsbrouwer

Hoy edward,

Nice as it may seem , i would not put your mind to hard on finding a job in thailand.

I came here august last year as ######/project manager/network consultant and searched for It jobs.

Haven't found one yet !! They just don't want to see you coming. lose face...

Besides is saw here somewhere you're an oracle programmer ? Just plain forget that.

IF there are company's here that use oracle , if you get a job then, expect to get paid half of what you make in holland.

I'll give you one good advice if you come here.

VEEL GELD MEEBRENGEN !!!!

B

Hi

If you are good with Oracle, I think you may have a good chance if you can visit websites of ERP Package Implementation Companies and then try to get in touch with the Owner or with the CEO direct than making your applications to Delete folders of Thai HR Managers (Damagers :o ).

Some suggestions for you are: SAP, Navision, Oracle Financial.

All 3 Packages are like hot cake moving in high-end ERP segment and I am sure you will have a good chance if you have the right Oracle Skills with some projects behind you.

:o Thanks Kwiz117,

It seems that the biggest hurdle is the culteral difference.

Thank you for your suggestions and I will try your proposed sollutions (and I will keep you informed).

I just read (Bangkok Post) that:

The Information and Communications Technology Ministry will work with the private sector to set up the first National ICT Learning Centre in May.

ICT Minister Dr Surapong Suebwonglee claimed the centre would encourage Thai youth and white collar workers to become ICT professionals.

Do you think they would need any farang to assist them here?

Dear Edwarsbrouwer, No one comes to Thailand to work. This is a retiree paradise. As a matter of fact why not work in your country, there is a lot more going on there, than here. And less pollution too...... :o

The Information and Communications Technology Ministry will work with the private sector to set up the first National ICT Learning Centre in May.

ICT Minister Dr Surapong Suebwonglee claimed the centre would encourage Thai youth and white collar workers to become ICT professionals.

Do you think they would need any farang to assist them here?

Hi..

I think apart from English, Thai's think that they know everything. Also they will translate everything to Thai.

If you are native speaker and from a western country, you will have a good chance to do anything in Thailand.

BTW, why you want to work here..? You will get outdated within days..That's for sure.. Unless you have a special reason like many of us here.. :D

Also do not take what these ministers say ..last few months..i have heard..

Thailand is promoting as the fasion city of Asia..Thailand as IT City of Asia..Thailand as the destination for best Spa's..for Golf..(for sex? :o ) etc etc..

Basically it happen when Mr Thaksin get a chance to read a book or after come back from a froeign trip... :D

Until they really do it..do not keep much hopes. This IT project idea will not be very easy when you get countries like India, Sri Lanka dominating in this sector in Asia.

If you need to really go for a job with a carrier developmet, then think of moving into Bangalore..India..That's the place to be.. :D