Protesters mobilise ahead of planned Thai capital 'shutdown'

Lite Beer

Answer to yourself on 1 question, honestly. If you could make 1 person from this circus to magically disappear and calm things down in this country and let it move forward, who would that be? Honestly.

I'll answer where everyone can see. Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. Without him there would be no UDD, no disruption of the 2009 ASEAN meeting in Pataya, no 2010 Ratchaprasong attempted soft coup of the Abhisit government resulting in 87 dead and many lives destroyed, no changing the constitution to give his party more power, no fake amnesty bill, disguised as reconciliation, that forgives more than 2,500 ongoing corruption cases and absolves Thaksin of all misdeeds convicted of or not yet charged, no government bankrupting Thailand with an unsustainable Rice Scheme resulting in the destruction of the agricultural segment of the Thai economy, and there certainly would be no reason for hoards of people to gather in Bangkok to follow Suthep's lead to overthrow the latest Thaksin puppet government. I could go on but that should be enough for anyone who is not a propagandist or red blind.

Spot on, i don't understan why people are still talking about suthep, yingluck, charlem, 3rd party provocatuers , amart, udd, ptp etc, if this one persone goes away he will take all the above crap with him. This country will be a better place without this 1 guy tearing it apart.

Credulous......greed and fear exists for a reason in our world......it is never only one individual in the past, present or future. We have to focus on better elucidation and solutions that could add value to our society rather than just being frivolous.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Answer to yourself on 1 question, honestly. If you could make 1 person from this circus to magically disappear and calm things down in this country and let it move forward, who would that be? Honestly.

I'll answer where everyone can see. Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. Without him there would be no UDD, no disruption of the 2009 ASEAN meeting in Pataya, no 2010 Ratchaprasong attempted soft coup of the Abhisit government resulting in 87 dead and many lives destroyed, no changing the constitution to give his party more power, no fake amnesty bill, disguised as reconciliation, that forgives more than 2,500 ongoing corruption cases and absolves Thaksin of all misdeeds convicted of or not yet charged, no government bankrupting Thailand with an unsustainable Rice Scheme resulting in the destruction of the agricultural segment of the Thai economy, and there certainly would be no reason for hoards of people to gather in Bangkok to follow Suthep's lead to overthrow the latest Thaksin puppet government. I could go on but that should be enough for anyone who is not a propagandist or red blind.

Spot on, i don't understan why people are still talking about suthep, yingluck, charlem, 3rd party provocatuers , amart, udd, ptp etc, if this one persone goes away he will take all the above crap with him. This country will be a better place without this 1 guy tearing it apart.

Credulous......greed and fear exists for a reason in our world......it is never only one individual in the past, present or future. We have to focus on better elucidation and solutions that could add value to our society rather than just being frivolous.

it is never only one individual in the past, present or future.

Demonstrably wrong assertion. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Kim, Gengis Khan, most Roman Emoperors, etc. Take any one of these men out of their uncontested power and the World would be a different, arguably better place. This is why Dr. Thaksin is such a menace to the health of Thailand in his lust for uncontested power.

Your response is obtuse to the question posed and responded to.

Posts in violation of these forum rules have been removed:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

http://airportthai.co.th/main/th/news/121/aot-offers-alternative-roadmaps-to-from-don-mueang-airport AoT offers alternative roadmaps to/from Don Mueang airport 12 January 2014

The Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) has provided alternative roadmaps to and from Don Mueang airport to get around traffic problems caused by thedemonstration beginning on Monday(January 13).

Passengers are also advised to reach the airport three hours in advance for international flight check-in and two hours for domestic to ensure smooth departures.

Don Mueang general manager Chaturongkapon Sodmanee said there are alternative roads to Don Mueang airport which the travelling public are advised to take if the two main roads - Vibhavadi Rangsit and the Don Mueang Tollways -became problematic.

From the inner Bangkok, the public should take Chaeng Watana Expressway, exiting at Sri Saman, then heading towards Song Prabha road till its end, turning left to Cherd Wuthakat road, straight on till a three-way junction, turning right crossing the railway tracks to take the U-turn bridge where the sign of Don Mueang can be seen, onward to get into the in-bound Vibhavadi Rangsit road and to get to the airport through ``Tor Dor Mor 3'' and ``Tor Do Mor 4'' channels.

The other access to the airport is through the out-bound Kanchana Pisek Road heading towards Bang Pa-in, keeping left to exit at Lamlukha, follow the Phaholyothin sign to get to the Lamlukha Road for about 400 metres, turning left to cross a bridge over a canel until the end of the road, turning left and taking a U-turn with the ``Rangsit'' sign, keeping left to enter Vibhavadi Rangsit road before taking “ Entrance 3 ” and “ Entrance 4 '' channels.

In addition, Don Mueang Airport has set aside areas within the cargo terminals and the 5-storey car park (situated between cargo terminals #2 and #3 with the capacity of 1,500 cars) where members of the public affected by the demonstration can park their vehicles for free.

AoT has coordinated with the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will also provide free regular shuttle bus services between the cargo terminals to Don Mueang train station to offer an alternative transportation mode to get into and out of inner Bangkok.

For additional information and assistance, call Don Mueang Coordinating Centre at 02 535 3861, 24-hour.

Victory monument was getting filled in around 10:30pm. Cars were parked parallel four deep and buses and trucks unloading and some speeches were going on. I wish I read this thread earlier cause when I got to Siam I had to U turn back to Democracy and get on the expressway (50 baht now!) Silom was business as usual. My concern is the amount of drinking already going on and drunks, anger and protesting don't really mix well. I hope people don't get killed or hurt. My 7/11 offf Satorn ran out of the extra large water already, I got the last one ........

Am down in Pattalung and there is a huge party organised by a close friend to support the yellows. I given up trying to talk any sense - missus and a lot of her family deeply worried about making a living in BKK and where all this is leading. Visited a farm today and the grand old mum pulled out a Glock 9 mm she carries for protection after a burglary quite recently. The place is bristling with guns. I guess its now down to fingers crossed and pray this settles down sometime soon with the least loss of life. I'm ostriching on this now we can't change a thing and so its not woth worrying until there is something immediate and personal to worry about. Makes you realise how un-Thai we farangs are and always will be.

I just talked to one of my nieces who lives outside of Korat and her feelings as well as apparently most of those who live in that area are not anger or disgust at what is happening in Bangkok, but simply amazement as to why no one has shot this idiot suthep yet!

The real question here is ...is it really worth destroying Thailand to replace one corrupt politician with another corrupt politician? I have no doubts that Thaksin is corrupt, but Suthep also is. So why destroy the country if in the end we just end up with money flowing into another corrupt pocket?

Abhisit and Suthep have already demonstrated that they had no intentions of changing the laws for the better while they were in power. They did absolutely nothing. Suthep was charged with distributing land to poor people while he was a politician in the South and the land ended up in the hands of Phuket's richest families, not with the poor people.

When the Democrat government was question about this, they dissolved parliament in order not to have to answer and subsequently lost the next elections.

My God, you've convinced me.

Let's get Thaksin back before the elections, which will be postponed, and get him back in the big chair.

Give him back the money he stole, let him have his land, overturn his conviction, let him loose on another 2,000+ extra judicial killings to eradicate drugs, again, give him his heavy-handed approach to the situation in the South (that worked a treat last time, didn't it?), shit let's just make him ***g.

Just one question. When the red-shirts were threatening to 'destroy the country' in 2009 and 2010, and actually doing it, were you as equally vocal in your disapproval?

As far as I remember, nobody did 'destroy the country', unless you really do equate Central World with Thailand. There were other buildings set fire to, to be fair, but a number of these were suspicious in the sense that they seemed likely to be opportunistic arson for insurance money. Even some of the major fires were less than thoroughly investigated and, whiilst it is admittedly likely that some of the more extreme redshirts were behind at least some of the fires, as far as I can remember there was little if any evidence that came to light as to who was actually guilty.

Having said that, I was living off Rama IV at the time, and on that day a bunch of hooligans on motorbikes came down and ransacked and looted the 7/11. The question is, just like the riots in England two years back, how much of this was politically motivated and how much just opportunistic mayhem? Look at the history of social disorder in any country and you can see how soon one blends into another. You see it with the yellows now - remember the bus torched a few weeks back, the taxi driver beaten unconscious, etc? Same mindless thuggery, if you take a more balanced view and avoid being an apologist for violence on any side.

What you talking about?UDD reds were convicted of arson

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am down in Pattalung and there is a huge party organised by a close friend to support the yellows. I given up trying to talk any sense - missus and a lot of her family deeply worried about making a living in BKK and where all this is leading. Visited a farm today and the grand old mum pulled out a Glock 9 mm she carries for protection after a burglary quite recently. The place is bristling with guns. I guess its now down to fingers crossed and pray this settles down sometime soon with the least loss of life. I'm ostriching on this now we can't change a thing and so its not woth worrying until there is something immediate and personal to worry about. Makes you realise how un-Thai we farangs are and always will be.

I just talked to one of my nieces who lives outside of Korat and her feelings as well as apparently most of those who live in that area are not anger or disgust at what is happening in Bangkok, but simply amazement as to why no one has shot this idiot suthep yet!

People who are idiots get shot.

Talk to people who live here.......... why don't you?

Feelings in Korat are the most mixed..... they don't know whether or not to be Esan or Thai... 5555555555555555+

Sanuk... last statement...... but... if you don't get it... therefore you don't get it.

-m.

spoke to 'ordinary' Thais today

they loath Suthep and all he stands for

as one said only today "Thaksin is bad - Suthep bad, bad"

so Suthept can destroy all he wants (for now) but he'll never win any election - well only in his megalomaniac dreams

As one Thai said to me:

"Maybe we are lucky and Suthep will run into a flying bullet soon - seems to happen a lot in Bangkok."

Suthep should be careful Bangkok seems a dangerous place - according to him a lot of people have run into flying bullets in Bangkok before!

- 555 what goes around comes around.

• Like 1

What other country would the police stand an watch as "protestors" blocked a main city centre intersection.as I witnessed tonight at MBK SIAM. Barricades and deciding who goes where.what a joke the country is becoming ,Surely the military will need to step in? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is what I want to know I mean how easy is it to just arrest the truck driver ? I can understand not being able to stop people gathering to march etc but setting up stages at intersections a day early ? how can they let that happen ? blink.png ............... Ive seen some crazy things here over the years but this last few years has got so bizarre and dysfunctional that a stage can be set up in the middle of BKK without a by your leave or permit ... im so glad im out of BKK, no one really intends to stop any of this madness the place is a total joke now.

• Like 1

People who are idiots get shot.

Talk to people who live here.......... why don't you?

Feelings in Korat are the most mixed..... they don't know whether or not to be Esan or Thai... 5555555555555555+

Sanuk... last statement...... but... if you don't get it... therefore you don't get it.

-m.

First of all being an idiot doesn't get one shot, however inciting crowds to overthrow the democratically elected government, destabilize Thailands largest city, not allowing people to register for the upcoming elections, cut off water and power to goverment buildings and illegally occupying government buildings as well as overunning thai television stations for months on end should get one shot! As far as feelings in Nakhon Ratchasima Province area goes, the vast majority are just like my niece and have utter disdain for the antics of suthep and his followers thumbsup.gif The people in Issan (not Esan) are the most Thai of any people in Thailand, certainly much more Thai than the Chinese elite in Bangkok that back suthep or the throngs of malay protestors that suthep has paid to come up to Bangkok and cause trouble wai2.gif Not sure what this 5555555 nonsense is all about, but you are the one who doesn't get it my friend so wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late smile.png

• Like 1

Big surprise statement coming from that area.......................I don't think

Meanwhile in Breaking News, scientists have confirmed that water is actually...............wet.

I will raise you that.. the PTP never got a majority either why should they tyrannize the honest hard working people who pay the taxes they steal.

Enough is enough and that is why there is an uprising.

I like Suthep his idea of no statue of limitation on corruption. Surely even the reds could agree on that. Why has YL this not suggested either.........

If one looks at the government, the entity that is setting the policy and legally the "government" , it does indeed have a majority of the electorate votes.

The smaller parties representing approx., 10 % of the electorate stated prior to the election that they would support the party that garnered the most votes. People voted for these parties with that knowledge. The combined vote tally gives the government more support than the Democrats have ever obtained.

It's great that Suthep has no statute of limitation on corruption. Will he be opening up his books then? Will he provide an explanation as to just how he made windfall profits on palm oil and land development?

No? I didn't think so.

Tilac2 wrote:

Here are just a few examples of what Thailand needs to do to be brought into the 21st century:

elimination of extreme poverty;

rational public transport;

better education, including critical thinking;

better public health;

enforcement of laws;

better environmental policies.

When does Suthep talk about these policies? Dunno. But few Thai politicians ever do. Thaksin was that rare politician who actually did anything about any of these important issues, and he is vilified. Suthep goes on and on about the need to 'clean the house'. That always means Thaksin. Suthep seems to be empty of any policy except kicking Thaksin out. ...

__________________< end of quote >_________________________________________________________

One thing I miss in your list is the reduction or even extinction of corruption. How come? Also where is a real/working democracy as a way of running the countries, in a way that includes ALL and not only the rich and superrich...

The other point is that I would put priorities in a differnet way.

Better education and critical thinking you mention... Well Taksin had 6 years time to improve education, at some point he was Minister of Education and still... no change at all. To be honest, it doesn't take me wonder. Because clever farmers wouldn't vote for TRT or any such old-fashioned parties, so better to keep 'em stupid and give them 1000 Baht, when you visit them before the next election is opened.

The protesters in Bangkok are all for fighting corruption, more real democracy, better education and a more even distribution of the national wealth. So why would you wnat to put such people down? And instead believe the lies of Taksin. KNow when I stopped believing him? When he claimes he would sdolve the Bangkok traffic chaos within 6 months, some 16 years or so ago. I mean, how can you trust somebody after such a statement???

Yesterday I heard something that I believe is true. Translation to English, "I'm not afraid of this 'Thep, I'm afraid of the other 'Thep." I think this is right on. It's something that Thai people can't discuss. Thais are all afraid to the core of their being. We are all pawns, even Suthep himself. Maybe this post won't make it to view, but at least the person that will delete this will have to read it.

I will raise you that.. the PTP never got a majority either why should they tyrannize the honest hard working people who pay the taxes they steal.

I like Suthep his idea of no statue of limitation on corruption. Surely even the reds could agree on that. Why has YL this not suggested either.........

If one looks at the government, the entity that is setting the policy and legally the "government" , it does indeed have a majority of the electorate votes.

The smaller parties representing approx., 10 % of the electorate stated prior to the election that they would support the party that garnered the most votes. People voted for these parties with that knowledge. The combined vote tally gives the government more support than the Democrats have ever obtained.

It's great that Suthep has no statute of limitation on corruption. Will he be opening up his books then? Will he provide an explanation as to just how he made windfall profits on palm oil and land development?

No? I didn't think so.

Kid,

I don't care if he will or won't many politicians can get caught with some luck even he can be caught. At least he is talking about stuff that benefits the country. Will it catch him.. maybe / maybe not. Will many others get caught... you can bet your ass on it. Is it positive to fight corruption.. yes.

Seems the red side does not want it because they are in power and can steal less. I don't understand that anyone is against something like this. Just see it as a positive thing out of all this fighting.

No? I didn't think so.

Kid,

I don't care if he will or won't many politicians can get caught with some luck even he can be caught. At least he is talking about stuff that benefits the country. Will it catch him.. maybe / maybe not. Will many others get caught... you can bet your ass on it. Is it positive to fight corruption.. yes.

Seems the red side does not want it because they are in power and can steal less. I don't understand that anyone is against something like this. Just see it as a positive thing out of all this fighting.

There is a reason why an employee dishonesty insurance policy does not insure against crime committed by an employee with a known previous history of dishonesty. By the same token, one does not look to or rely on people with dubious pasts and questionable current activity to be beacons of virtue. There is a Mayor of one of North America's largest cities who up until he was recently caught smoking crack and hanging out with gang bangers was also a big talker on the evils of drugs and gang crimes. I find the Suthep situation quite similar. Lots of talk by a person who denies wrongdoing but who has a cloud of wrongdoing hanging heavy over his head.

Tilac2 wrote:

Here are just a few examples of what Thailand needs to do to be brought into the 21st century:

elimination of extreme poverty;

rational public transport;

better education, including critical thinking;

better public health;

enforcement of laws;

better environmental policies.

When does Suthep talk about these policies? Dunno. But few Thai politicians ever do. Thaksin was that rare politician who actually did anything about any of these important issues, and he is vilified. Suthep goes on and on about the need to 'clean the house'. That always means Thaksin. Suthep seems to be empty of any policy except kicking Thaksin out. ...

__________________< end of quote >_________________________________________________________

One thing I miss in your list is the reduction or even extinction of corruption. How come? Also where is a real/working democracy as a way of running the countries, in a way that includes ALL and not only the rich and superrich...

The other point is that I would put priorities in a differnet way.

Better education and critical thinking you mention... Well Taksin had 6 years time to improve education, at some point he was Minister of Education and still... no change at all. To be honest, it doesn't take me wonder. Because clever farmers wouldn't vote for TRT or any such old-fashioned parties, so better to keep 'em stupid and give them 1000 Baht, when you visit them before the next election is opened.

The protesters in Bangkok are all for fighting corruption, more real democracy, better education and a more even distribution of the national wealth. So why would you wnat to put such people down? And instead believe the lies of Taksin. KNow when I stopped believing him? When he claimes he would sdolve the Bangkok traffic chaos within 6 months, some 16 years or so ago. I mean, how can you trust somebody after such a statement???

I wish people would stop with the farmer yokel bullshit. Just because youre a farmer, it doesnt make you an idiot. Just because you dont have an education above primary school level, it doesnt make you an idiot. Theres plenty of ways to be canny, smart, clever, intelligent, thoughtful and considerate on this planet. The root cause of wisdom and intelligence isnt your 4.0 grade average in the SATs.

People will vote for what is in their self interest. The key challenge is simply to show them how a communal self interest benefits them FAR more than a short term interest. There are very few people so stupid that they cant understand this. Then again, there are also very few people who are stupid enough to believe a third or fourth promise of 'jam tomorrow!'. And had the 'democrats' not undone everything with one stupid action (not the protest, but the absolute and unalterable insistence that there be no talks, no discussions and that the franchise be once again threatened because the poor are clearly too stupid to vote (for a party that offers them very little)), they might well have found a very good opportunity to make a real dent in these areas and offer an alternative. The growing crisis over rice payments is an open goal for a parliamentary opposition party. It creates the clear conditions for change WITHIN a legal rational framework (thus, as a crucial bonus, restoring the legitimacy of an accountable government to the people and thus the VALUE of every persons vote).

Instead though, they have once again cheapened the democratic system and made it much more likely (ironically) for short term interests to trump longer term insterests. Why bother caring about these issues in the future when 2 years down the line we'll be back in another coup/constitutional crisis and the paralysis of government?

Its an absolute catastrophe for democracy. The only way this will reach any kind of solution that will benefit thai people in the long term is (ironically again), if democracy holds out and the protests dissipate. But why will they? The democrats know that the decision to abandon contesting the elections has pulled them out of government for the next 4 years, and that gives them absolutely no reason to act in a manner that would respect the democratic process throughout the lifetime of the next government (should it even occur). Its all or nothing. And if the protesters should get their way... they have just lost the rural poor in the north for a generation. In fact, should their reforms go for the type of boundary changes (the only 'democratically' acceptable way to strip people of their vote) that would cripple the chance for the return of the reds (under whichever party name theyll be going by once PTP are unsurprisingly banned for the next 5 years), they will simply march on the capital because once again democracy isnt doing anything for them. And the only way to stop them will be civil war or acceding to their demands.

Its like a gigantic merry go round. Im assuming thai people must be having a bundle of fun on it because no one seems to actually want to get off.

Edited by inutil