Bringing Mountain Bike with me from the UK

Icarus1

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Ko Tao to live for a while and I want ro bring my mountain bike with me from the UK. Some people who I have spoken with have mentioned I can bring the bike with me when I fly, and pay extra for over size/ excess luggage. I've done some research and I cant find any information out on this. I dont Wish to have the bike shipped separately. I wondered if anyone has any experience in doing this and / or knows the best airline to do this with? I intend to get the lomprayah bus from Ko San road, so it's only the international flight which I'm not sure of. Any help and advise will ve much appreciated! Thanks :)

Unless you have a really nice bike, I'd just buy a used one here. It's like $200 to ship it, and if it's really nice, you'll need to get a hard travel case for it. Some $400-500. Otherwise it could be damaged.

Great selection of used bikes in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Mmm well ill be happy to pay $200 for that and id ensure it would be well packaged. I've seen people in India at the airport with Widescreen tvs coming off the carousel from an emirates flight so im hopeful , that it wouldn't get too bashed

It's a decent bike, worth around $2000 but it's personal to me and its a 29er, and not sure if these are availble in Thailand. I really would prefer to bring it with me but only if it can fly with me

And in addition, the roads in Ko Tao are far from pleasant. You would have problems carrying it around with your luggage. I would leave it at home.

I wwouldn't be carrying it around. Straight from Mae Haad pier in a pick up to my accommodation then assemble the bike ;)Ko Tao itself is perfect for mountain biking :)

Edited by Icarus1

bring along some spare tire tubes 29" as the proper widths are hard to find here. Keep in mind thai roads are littered with small sharp objects and never get cleaned well, so you can expect lots of punctures in the long run. I do not see any problem but recommend to pack it well with bubble wraps and make sure nothing protrudes ( dismount handles and pedals and put them back on later ) keep the package as small as possible, use strong cardboard and lotsa duct tape !

Good luck in bringing the bicycle over and lotsa riding fun !

• Like 1

bring along some spare tire tubes 29" as the proper widths are hard to find here. Keep in mind thai roads are littered with small sharp objects and never get cleaned well, so you can expect lots of punctures in the long run. I do not see any problem but recommend to pack it well with bubble wraps and make sure nothing protrudes ( dismount handles and pedals and put them back on later ) keep the package as small as possible, use strong cardboard and lotsa duct tape !

Good luck in bringing the bicycle over and lotsa riding fun !

Thanks Crazygregg44. Yes I'll definately bring some spare tubes, but Ive got special Slime tubes, which (theorectically are puncture proof - to a certain degree!) . I'm looking at using my Widescreen TV box (peddles off, handle bars flat) and padding it to the max. I can't wait to ride over there though! Just need to find the airline/method and prices etc ;)

I would call the airline and have a conversation with them about that,

My Thai friend from the US went to Thailand to visit last year, and I remember he took a bike with him on the plane.

he took the wheels apart and the steering bar off and packed the whole thing in a flat cardboard box

He check it in at the airline as luggage

It could not have being very expensive, he is a very good businessman, he owns a very successful restaurant, and the jock about him among all the friends is how cheap he is. But he is a very nice guy.

• Like 1

Check with airline, OP mentioned EK...

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/FAQDetails.aspx?faqId=214958

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/FAQDetails.aspx?faqCategory=214913

Most decent bike shops will disassemble and pack your bike for you - they have lots of boxes available.

I brought my Cannondale from the U.S. when I relocated - it was packed by a bike shop for me and arrived fine, albeit at a separate baggage counter at the old BKK (DMK); UA didn't charge me but I had pretty high status with them and a massive baggage allotment - this was ~ 7 years ago.

In this thread there is some (older) detail re: EK and a bike.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1043142-dont-fly-emirates-bicycle.html

• Like 1

I used to travel alot with my bike,

first time i took pedles off, deflated the tires, took off the seat post with seat, turned handlebars, put it in a box that you get when u buythem

than i started traveling alot from Bangkok and HK to Nepal and Bali.

All i did was roll it up to the chekin counter an deflate the tires.

Each airline is different so just ask before u buy the ticket.

A good mn bike will set u back at least 30,000 bah an there are many choices here now unlike 15 years ago.

Forge the tubes an spares, you can get everything u want for a high end bike here

• Like 1

Hi, I brought my Santa Cruz MTB to in a soft bike Bag, rigid is not required. I fixed wooden spacers between front and rear forks - with tape. Removed peddles, Handle bar - I just removed and leaving all cables connected inc. hydraulic brake pipes and taped it to the bike.The bag which I still have(and don't need) had separate bags for each wheell.

At Emirates check-in desk I arrived very early deliberatley to give time for negotiaons. After the check-in clarke called a senior officer(Arabian) we talked it was agreed If I signed a damage waver they would carry it free!!! - great, it arrived damage free. BUT

Thai customes called me over - long chat he thought I was trying to import a new bike, but when he found some mud on one tier all was ok.

I use Kevlar tiers and good quality tubes, thats a lough cos marked on the rubber - made in Thailand. Zero flats - but keep the pressure up - 50psi - ish.

Hydraulic brakes in Thailand can be a problem because of the high temperatures, you might have to drain some fluid out. Also, I have had a problem finding DOT5 fluid, DOT3 is as good as it gets here.

I did meet a guy on a flight to the UK, he brought a bike to Thailand and it cost more than the bike was worth(BA).

So I suggest you hone your neg. skills. - good luck.

• Like 1

Bring your own bike for sure, otherwise you'll have to muck around for a week to set another up correctly.

Check with your airline - most non-budget airlines give you 20kg free luggage allowance

(but the sneaky ones have a BS 'sporting goods' charge, and I think all USA airlines charge anyway).

Just beg/borrow/steal a bike box from a bike shop, with some hex keys and a small shifter,

remove pedals and front wheel, deflate tyres,

lower seat post, twist handle bars, tape up box - too easy. Cheers, AA

• Like 1

I've done it multiple times and in the end always succeeded. getting it on the plane. Sometimes they want you to put it in a "box", that was for example two cardboard pieces wrapped with this shrink plastic, like a sandwich, in BKK airport. Then you have to bring it to the "oversize luggage check - in". Just make sure you are at the check - in very early so you have time to wrap it according to the demands.

Air Asia has this "sports equipment" charge, 800 Baht or so. Then of course you got to pay for the extra Kgs. I have never encountered the mentioned 200 $ charge, not even out of Germany.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, really great advice! I'll be using all this valuable knowledge to get my beloved Gary Fisher to Ko Tao (Safely!)

Definately, i'll beg borrow and steal from a bike shop and request they package it up securely. I'll likely fly direct with Thai Airways.

Will provide an update when I get near my leaving date (unfortunately not for a while- maybe 6 months)

Thanks all, really do appreciate this advice :)

• 1 month later...

I don't see any mention of import tax at Thai customs. It has been my experience that comming in with large, carboard wrapped. odd shapped boxes always gets you stopped at the customs checkpoint at the airport.

Does anyone have any info on this?

b

There's no need to negotiate at check-in about whether the airline will take your bike or how much it costs! The airlines have already have policy in place for carriage of bikes. Each airline has its own policy. Go to the airlines website look under baggage, sporting goods. Many airlines will take your bike for free. Some will give you extra baggage allowance. Some will hit you with a huge charge!

Qatar, Etihad and emirates have carried bikes for me with no damage and no charge. When you have your ticket booked call the airline with your booking reference and advise them you are taking a bike. They will note you will have bike at check-in and make sure there is space for it on the day of travel.

I always get an old box from my local bike shop. All the bikes they sell arrive in a box so they normally have a pile of flattened boxes waiting to be recycled.

Check out the airlines frequent flyer scheme. Some will give you extra kg's just for being a member.