Protester shot near Bangkok Chaeng Wattana rally site

webfact

Protester from Nakhon Si Thammarat shot near Chaeng Wattana rally site
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A protester was shot and seriously injured while he was guarding a barrier at the Chaeng Wattana rally site late Sunday night, police said.

Pol Col Charoen Srisalak, deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Divison 2, said Samrarn Chanthong-on, 36 a Nakhon Si Thammarat resident, was shot at around midnight.

Charoen said eyewitnesses told police that man was shot by a motorcyclist who stopped at the barrier and talked to him briefly before a gunfire was heard.

Smararn was rushed to the Mongkut Wattana Hospital and was in safe condition. He was shot by a shot gun at his left shoulder.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-13

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest people read the lead report in the Bangkok Post.

Emergency meeting being held between all military top brass in response to the two shootings last night, and to adjust their military deployment.

I hope they move the troops away from where the governments wants them (government buildings) and deploy them to protect the protesters seeing as the police have zero interest in doing it themselves. Even better, to discuss how far this will go before they move in and oust this bunch of jerks.

Emergency meeting being held between all military top brass in response to the two shootings last night, and to adjust their military deployment.

I hope they move the troops away from where the governments wants them (government buildings) and deploy them to protect the protesters seeing as the police have zero interest in doing it themselves. Even better, to discuss how far this will go before they move in and oust this bunch of jerks.

Your friends protesters did choose to be there, knowing that it might be not safe, government people, buildings and workers, and all non-protesters should be protected.

I would never encourage killing, but giving Suthep the bullet he deserves would make my day.

• Like 2

Oh man...

Again: could it be "red shirts"?

Yup!

Do we have prove?

Nope!

It is likely, that all kinds of hooligans will crawl out of the woodwork and satisfy their own needs for violence.

Any dopehead on Yabaa could be the shooter...

• Like 2

Your friends protesters did choose to be there, knowing that it might be not safe, government people, buildings and workers, and all non-protesters should be protected.

I would never encourage killing, but giving Suthep the bullet he deserves would make my day.

Why wouldn't it be safe? Didn't the police say they were going to protect both sides?

Are you also suggesting that it was the fault of the 80 protesters that were killed in 2010 because they chose to be there? Particularly then, they knew it wouldn't be safe as it was their own side were shooting to at the army, with the army shooting back. It wasn't some third hand just driving by and shooting protesters.

"Particularly then, they knew it wouldn't be safe as it was their own side were shooting to at the army, with the army shooting back."

What a shameless excuse, whybother. Did they deserve it then?

Like the people in the Wat, whybother, were there people shooting at the army from the Wat in 2010? I know that was the government line but do you still believe it.

Anyway your hypothesis suggests that all the UDD supporters who were shot and killed were amongst protesters that were firing at the Army, I don't think so.

80 odd dead and 2000 injured seems like a lot of collateral damage, doesn't it?

Lousy argument; that if you weren't there you wouldn't get shot. Citizens peacefully protesting don't lose the right to life; and shooting people doesn't become legal because you are doing it to protect red democracy (although an amnesty is possible).

• Like 2

Why wouldn't it be safe? Didn't the police say they were going to protect both sides?

Are you also suggesting that it was the fault of the 80 protesters that were killed in 2010 because they chose to be there? Particularly then, they knew it wouldn't be safe as it was their own side were shooting to at the army, with the army shooting back. It wasn't some third hand just driving by and shooting protesters.

"Particularly then, they knew it wouldn't be safe as it was their own side were shooting to at the army, with the army shooting back."

What a shameless excuse, whybother. Did they deserve it then?

Like the people in the Wat, whybother, were there people shooting at the army from the Wat in 2010? I know that was the government line but do you still believe it.

Anyway your hypothesis suggests that all the UDD supporters who were shot and killed were amongst protesters that were firing at the Army, I don't think so.

80 odd dead and 2000 injured seems like a lot of collateral damage, doesn't it?

I wasn't the one saying they deserved it. 'ikke' said the protester that was shot deserved it because he was there. That suggests that he also believes that the red shirt protesters deserve it because they were there. The difference being that the protester last night was shot by some third party, and not the army / police that in 2010 were fighting against an armed militia.

Not a very good start to a peaceful protest.,the brain dead are out there causing trouble, this seems to be a fashionable thing to do in Thailand , pity they didn't find a way forward to a return to a normal situation , having said that , I wounder what is normal for Thailand these day'scoffee1.gif

Two men shot

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Erawan Medical Emergency Services Center, as of 00.46 am, on Monday reported that a 30-year-old man was shot at his neck near Chang Wattana Road. He is now being undergone treatment at Mongkut Wattana Hospital as he as lost a lot of blood.

Meanwhile, Springnews television station reported via its twitter that a man was shot near the barricade of anti-government demonstration at Soi 14 on Chang Wattana Road.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-13

Yes the dead red shirts have only themselves to blame. Their leader openly told them he planned a terrorist attack on Bangkok, if they still continue to support him then they too are terrorists.

Thaksin's little helpers - keeping Thailand's version of democracy safe.

Probably had absolutely nothing to do with politics. It was, most likely, some cyclist, with a bad temper, and a gun, confronting someone who would not let him pass through. People get shot for much less confrontational issues here.

Yeah,

people who are not in either side (anti or pro-government) are now irritated with the hassle those demonstrators are doing on the roads.

I try to avoid getting into these red vs. yellow slanging matches, but this is one of the most stupid things I have read on TV in a while.

If this is what passes for democratic thought amongst pro-government people, then Thailand would clearly be better served by a dictatorship.

Despicable.

Call me confused.

Which pro-government people are you talking about? The pro-monarchist's (yellows) who want to bring down the constitutionally elected government, or the populist people (reds) who want to protect their constitutionally elected representative government against an unelected, non-representative form of government?

They each claim to be pros.

Thaksin's little helpers - keeping Thailand's version of democracy safe.

Probably had absolutely nothing to do with politics. It was, most likely, some cyclist, with a bad temper, and a gun, confronting someone who would not let him pass through. People get shot for much less confrontational issues here.

Yeah,

people who are not in either side (anti or pro-government) are now irritated with the hassle those demonstrators are doing on the roads.

god, what's going on in Thailand is about the same as going on throughout Africa. Graft and corruption were not invented by Thais. Graft and corruption comes with greed and power. It's the nature of the beast, and what happens when those out of power for years do when they finally get power.

Perhaps anarchy ala Noam Chomski would be the best solution. No central government - only localized back and forth among the people, doing what's in their own narrow, self-interest?

That would sure be hell for us expats!

Edited by qdinthailand
  • Like 1