Suthep kicks off Bangkok shutdown mass protest

webfact

Just called a Thai friend, a retired general, whose house is right on one of the roads used by the "protesters". He said that he went out to talk to them and found that many of the people he saw had been bused in from southern Thailand. They had been given 2,000 baht a piece for their "protesting" efforts. We are planning to get a group of us friends together and go protest tomorrow. What a great party we could have for 2,000 baht each.

That's strange, my wife and her friends as well as several hundred others from our village have been in BKK for several weeks protesting and no one has offered them any money to go. I had better let her know she is losing outxsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png .

Might be hoarding it in the "cunning kit"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cunning%20Kit

Nah, it would take more than 2000 Baht to get my wife to move if it was something she didn't believe in. She didn't even tell me she was going, just disappeared one evening and phoned me the next morning to tell me she was in BKK (and t o ask me to send her some money)biggrin.png .Saw her later that day on the TV jumping around like a loony.

I don't think you are helping the average profile of a yellow shirt protester by describing your wife as "a loony"

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems to be the death throes of Sutheps moment of fame and sadly he`ll want to go out with a bang before being arrested. What is clear is that ordinary people, regardless of their feelings on Yingluck, dont have the stomach for this and the economic damage it will cause.

The Dems have shocked me thoughout at how badly they`ve played their hand, which at times has been so strong Yingluck shoudn`t even have had a chance. With the amnesty bill, non payment of rice and other general discontentment, for the first time in years there was a visible gap between Shinawatras and the reds that was crying out to be exploited. The stage was set for a liberal smooth talker from the Dems to come out to promise the middle ground and investment to these Northern heartlands and landslide the next election.

Instead they backed Suthep facepalm.gif

You should have got off your butt and taken a stroll through the protests sites, as I did today.

The crowds I saw today would be at least five times larger than the red shirts at the greatest.

I would think Suthep would be walking on air at the moment.

Thanks much for the objective, first-hand report. That is what this forum is great for. I mentioned previously that the 10,000 number seemed strange and I'm glad you have cleared things up. What you say makes sense, regardless of which side you support, it's best to examine the facts.

Regarding the earlier posts where people are talking about 10,000 protesters, I would caution against believing any numbers you see in th media, but rather believe first hand accounts and aerial photographs. I live in Surat Thani and I can tell you that 10-20% of the businesses here are closed today, maybe more, because the owners are in BKK protesting. Those that are open are probably missing several staff.

Just to show how implausable 10,000 protestors is, let's look at BKK itself. Everyone agrees that BKK is fully against the current administration. Everybody agrees that Bangkok's population is 10 million or more. Thus, if only 1% of Bangkokians protested, that would be 100,000 protestors. I would guess it's more likely that there are 10 - 20% of the Bangkok public protesting today (they have the day off, why not?). Add to this all the folks from the South and it's hard to imagine that there aren't over a million, maybe several million.

Secondly, the comment about Southern protestors being paid 2,000 baht to go to protest probably requires more explanation. The Southerners I speak to truly believe what they are doing is right and good for the country and all the ones I know who go to BKK are certainly not making any money doing this. Many who want to go of course cannot go for business, family, or health reasons, so many of them pass the protestors some money to offset their travel, lodging, and food expenses.

I'm not saying I'm on the side of the protestors, I just want to clarify some things based on first hand information, rather than listening to the media.

" Everyone agrees that BKK is fully against the current administration. " No

Hope you're not considering a career in anything involving numbers or for that matter facts.

How about evolution, for or against there?

Apologies, I guess I should have said that "The majority of BKK supports the protesters," I had sort of thought that our readers here understood that aspect of my comment. Does anyone disagree with this comment?

As for numbers. 1% of 10 million is determined by multiplying 10 million by 0.01 and the product is 100,000. The balance of my estimates are simply estimates coming from what I've personally observed.

As far as my comments about "facts," everything I said was from first hand experience and thus a fact.

As for evolution. I believe that homo sapiens did indeed evolve over millions of years, but sadly, some of us still have a lot of evolving to do in order to catch up. For instance those of us who insult a perfectly objective, fact-filled post.

Good posts Beachguy, unfortunately TV seems to be unique in the fact that half the guys who post on here are sat in front of their computers, calculator in hand and Wikipedia open just trying to trash every post that they can. There are some excellent posters here who make some very good comments/arguments, it's just unfortunate that we have to wade through the crap to find them.

15000 cops, 10.000 protesters, but the police can do ...NOTHING

I'm not sure where these figures come from, but if you're not in Bangkok, and you haven't taken a walk down to one of the seven protest sites, those figures are absolute BS!

I went to 6 of the sites today and the only visible presence the police had was about a dozen sitting under the overpass at the Sathorn intersection.

When the protesters were gathered outside the police HQ, there wasn't a cop in sight.

As for 10,000 protesters, well that's a joke, a lie and outright propaganda.

Take your pick and there was near enough 10,000 people at any one of the 6 sites I went to in central Bangkok. I couldn't move at walking pace the whole stretch from Pathuwan to Rajprasong.

10,000 my arse!

There is no way the police would have been able to do anything but hand out free bottles of water in Bangkok today.

Regarding the earlier posts where people are talking about 10,000 protesters, I would caution against believing any numbers you see in th media, but rather believe first hand accounts and aerial photographs. I live in Surat Thani and I can tell you that 10-20% of the businesses here are closed today, maybe more, because the owners are in BKK protesting. Those that are open are probably missing several staff.

Just to show how implausable 10,000 protestors is, let's look at BKK itself. Everyone agrees that BKK is fully against the current administration. Everybody agrees that Bangkok's population is 10 million or more. Thus, if only 1% of Bangkokians protested, that would be 100,000 protestors. I would guess it's more likely that there are 10 - 20% of the Bangkok public protesting today (they have the day off, why not?). Add to this all the folks from the South and it's hard to imagine that there aren't over a million, maybe several million.

Secondly, the comment about Southern protestors being paid 2,000 baht to go to protest probably requires more explanation. The Southerners I speak to truly believe what they are doing is right and good for the country and all the ones I know who go to BKK are certainly not making any money doing this. Many who want to go of course cannot go for business, family, or health reasons, so many of them pass the protestors some money to offset their travel, lodging, and food expenses.

I'm not saying I'm on the side of the protestors, I just want to clarify some things based on first hand information, rather than listening to the media.

" Everyone agrees that BKK is fully against the current administration. " No

Hope you're not considering a career in anything involving numbers or for that matter facts.

How about evolution, for or against there?

Apologies, I guess I should have said that "The majority of BKK supports the protesters," I had sort of thought that our readers here understood that aspect of my comment. Does anyone disagree with this comment?

As for numbers. 1% of 10 million is determined by multiplying 10 million by 0.01 and the product is 100,000. The balance of my estimates are simply estimates coming from what I've personally observed.

As far as my comments about "facts," everything I said was from first hand experience and thus a fact.

As for evolution. I believe that homo sapiens did indeed evolve over millions of years, but sadly, some of us still have a lot of evolving to do in order to catch up. For instance those of us who insult a perfectly objective, fact-filled post.

"Apologies, I guess I should have said that "The majority of BKK supports the protesters," I had sort of thought that our readers here understood that aspect of my comment. Does anyone disagree with this comment?"

Yes, I disagree - I went to work today, trains very full - on the way home a woman sporting a whistle and talking loudly on the phone about how she'd been at victory monument was shouted at by several quite angry people and almost thrown bodily out when the doors opened. So, no, the majority of BKK does not support the protestors from my experience.

Very interesting. I guess my response would be to think about the people on the train. They are probably working people who have been incredibly inconvenienced by this -- they are people who had to go to work in spite of the "shutdown." I'd be angry too.

You may be right and BKK may favor PTP, but that would go against voting patterns and most of what I've read in this forum. Anyway, it's good to hear first hand accounts like this.

Oh my, an estimated 10,000 people joined him.

So much for the millions then. tongue.png

If Suthep doesn't have at least 1 million or even a few hundred thousand and can only muster 50,000 in total, he's not going to look too good as he said millions were coming.

I've been to Asoke intersection this afternoon and there are an awful lot of people... I'd estimate 200,000 from just what I could see and it could possibly have been a lot more.

Also these people are ordinary working class people. NOT the elite that the foreign media try to imply.

If Suthep doesn't have at least 1 million or even a few hundred thousand and can only muster 50,000 in total, he's not going to look too good as he said millions were coming.

I've been to Asoke intersection this afternoon and there are an awful lot of people... I'd estimate 200,000 from just what I could see and it could possibly have been a lot more.

Also these people are ordinary working class people. NOT the elite that the foreign media try to imply.

I was flying above them. I put the number at 7 million !

At least :lol:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

15000 cops, 10.000 protesters, but the police can do ...NOTHING

I'm not sure where these figures come from, but if you're not in Bangkok, and you haven't taken a walk down to one of the seven protest sites, those figures are absolute BS!

I went to 6 of the sites today and the only visible presence the police had was about a dozen sitting under the overpass at the Sathorn intersection.

When the protesters were gathered outside the police HQ, there wasn't a cop in sight.

As for 10,000 protesters, well that's a joke, a lie and outright propaganda.

Take your pick and there was near enough 10,000 people at any one of the 6 sites I went to in central Bangkok. I couldn't move at walking pace the whole stretch from Pathuwan to Rajprasong.

10,000 my arse!

There is no way the police would have been able to do anything but hand out free bottles of water in Bangkok today.

Doesn't that make it a max of 60,000 protestors then? Not really revolutionary spring numbers.

Just called a Thai friend, a retired general, whose house is right on one of the roads used by the "protesters". He said that he went out to talk to them and found that many of the people he saw had been bused in from southern Thailand. They had been given 2,000 baht a piece for their "protesting" efforts. We are planning to get a group of us friends together and go protest tomorrow. What a great party we could have for 2,000 baht each.

That's strange, my wife and her friends as well as several hundred others from our village have been in BKK for several weeks protesting and no one has offered them any money to go. I had better let her know she is losing outxsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png .

Might be hoarding it in the "cunning kit"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cunning%20Kit

Nah, it would take more than 2000 Baht to get my wife to move if it was something she didn't believe in. She didn't even tell me she was going, just disappeared one evening and phoned me the next morning to tell me she was in BKK (and t o ask me to send her some money)biggrin.png .Saw her later that day on the TV jumping around like a loony.

I don't think you are helping the average profile of a yellow shirt protester by describing your wife as "a loony"

Or by acting "like a loony" sorry for the misquote.

Actually she wears a dark blue shirt with a Thai flag on it and has never been a yellow shirt. I personally don't particularly support either party and I am sure that whoever wins it won't make a blind bit of difference to the foreigners in Thailand. I do however support her right to protest.Let's be honest the first prime minister of either colour who gives foreigners the right to permanent residency after 12 months will have TV posters praising them to the skies but that is never going to happenthumbsup.gif .

Do you have any idea just how many people 200k is?

This is what 135k looks like - http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01430/Glastonbury-from-a_1430890b.jpg

You say you could see 200k? No you couldn`t thats physically impossible unless you were in a helicopter.

I dont doubt tens of thousands around today but lets not go down the 6 million route again <deleted>.

This seems to be the death throes of Sutheps moment of fame and sadly he`ll want to go out with a bang before being arrested. What is clear is that ordinary people, regardless of their feelings on Yingluck, dont have the stomach for this and the economic damage it will cause.

The Dems have shocked me thoughout at how badly they`ve played their hand, which at times has been so strong Yingluck shoudn`t even have had a chance. With the amnesty bill, non payment of rice and other general discontentment, for the first time in years there was a visible gap between Shinawatras and the reds that was crying out to be exploited. The stage was set for a liberal smooth talker from the Dems to come out to promise the middle ground and investment to these Northern heartlands and landslide the next election.

You should have got off your butt and taken a stroll through the protests sites, as I did today.

The crowds I saw today would be at least five times larger than the red shirts at the greatest.

"Walking on air" - but why?

- World opinion has moved firmly to favour Yingluck - something which any politiician with half a brain could have avoided given her recent behaviour and record. Things have progressed from Thaskin v Suthep to democracy v Suthep, red shirts have been replaced by kids in white holding candles. I`ve honestly never seen someone so badly out witted in politics be it here or abroad.

- Contrary to your observations it is widely accepted todays numbers are down on the last march (6 million in Sutheps eyes, 150k to normal people) to under 100K.

- Hes had perhaps half a dozen "Final" pushes now and all have ended in failure and fizzled out, as will this. The guys pulling his strings are now feeling it financially and backing off.

- <deleted> he tried to set up a parallel police force of volunteers to displace the real police. I havn`t heard of a single instance of this and the police still around, like everything else hes tried its just failed and he comes off looking like hes not right in the head.

"Get off your butt" and do a bit of research before trying to follow what is you think is cool. Backing this clown doesnt make you middle class or one of them, your still just a worthless farang trying to fit in in their eyes.

Bit hard to discuss with someone who probably isn't even in the country, but at least I'm pretty confident that I'm only a 'worthless farang' in your eyes.

You're obviously relying on the BBC, or such, for your information, so I do have the advantage that when I get to actually see the crowds the international press are estimating as 'so big' or 'so small', I can make an assessment based on reality, not editorial requirement.

The numbers 'widely accepted' for the red shirt protest at it's peak were 100,000. today was probably five times bigger and growing.

But you don't care about facts and reality, do you?

- World opinion has moved firmly to favour Yingluck - something which any politiician with half a brain could have avoided given her recent behaviour and record. Things have progressed from Thaskin v Suthep to democracy v Suthep, red shirts have been replaced by kids in white holding candles. I`ve honestly never seen someone so badly out witted in politics be it here or abroad.

- Contrary to your observations it is widely accepted todays numbers are down on the last march (6 million in Sutheps eyes, 150k to normal people) to under 100K.

- Hes had perhaps half a dozen "Final" pushes now and all have ended in failure and fizzled out, as will this. The guys pulling his strings are now feeling it financially and backing off.

- <deleted> he tried to set up a parallel police force of volunteers to displace the real police. I havn`t heard of a single instance of this and the police still around, like everything else hes tried its just failed and he comes off looking like hes not right in the head.

"Get off your butt" and do a bit of research before trying to follow what is you think is cool. Backing this clown doesnt make you middle class or one of them, your still just a worthless farang trying to fit in in their eyes.

Please provide the links to information that supports your view that world opinion has moved firmly to favour Yingluck. I can find support for a peaceful solution, support for democracy and elections. But I can't see mass information that specifically supports your statement that world opinion firmly favours Yingluck or her caretaker government.

Should be easy for you, after all you say you do a bit of research before posting what you think is cool, So, please share it with us all.

Several hundreds from your village. That must be a big village. So I guess those hundreds of villagers must arrange for their own transportations as well. Must be working at some kind of farms linked to Comrade Suthep. clap2.gif

1st) thing your post tells me, is you have no serious relationship with a Thai lady, as like mine you can not say anything bad about another Thai lady even if you are right

Thai ladies stick together when an out sider says the wrong thing,

ever that or your to scared to tell her what you write on TV

2nd) My Issan wife and most of her girlfriends own cars and all come from Issan, so how dare you make comments that because they come from Issan they are from a poor class of people

One thing I leant many years ago is when a ute is going any where from our village I can bet a B10,000, 2 mins before we leave the empty back load that was empty 10 mins ago is not stuffed full of people, chickens, and enough food to feed a family for a week

Time you got to see the real Thailand and get out of the bars

• Like 1

Bit hard to discuss with someone who probably isn't even in the country, but at least I'm pretty confident that I'm only a 'worthless farang' in your eyes.

You're obviously relying on the BBC, or such, for your information, so I do have the advantage that when I get to actually see the crowds the international press are estimating as 'so big' or 'so small', I can make an assessment based on reality, not editorial requirement.

The numbers 'widely accepted' for the red shirt protest at it's peak were 100,000. today was probably five times bigger and growing.

But you don't care about facts and reality, do you?

Ok so you dont address a single point I made and accuse me of not being in the country. facepalm.gifTop debating skills, you`ve totally changed my opinions, I quite fancy giving Suthep a good rogering after your insightful post such is my new found admiration.

Ps I`m in the country, but not Bangkok. Why is it hard to debate with someone who isnt at the protests? Is it only then you can appreciate the rustic charm and charisma of the great leader?

pps Care to answer my points rather than confirm my vision of you as an old farang walking round the protests whilst they poke fun of you in a language you don`t understand?

his demands to YS to leave the country or be executed

Or be EXECUTED!!! Next time I'll be sure to check your imagination.... as well as the facts. Can't be too sure now... can we? blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

Hmm..... must be a different Asoke from where I stay. I estimate there were no more than 100,000 at the peak

yeah...for those of you who think, this is over and was so well handled ...you are right with the handling for today...but wrong on the "this is over"-part!

Definitely not over. Wait until later tonight when the motorcycle taxis, bargirls and sex tourists can't get access to Soi Cowboy!

Unequivocally, I can assure you that Soi Cowboy is accessible and open. The lights are already on!

• Like 2

Please provide the links to information that supports your view that world opinion has moved firmly to favour Yingluck. I can find support for a peaceful solution, support for democracy and elections. But I can't see mass information that specifically supports your statement that world opinion firmly favours Yingluck or her caretaker government.

Should be easy for you, after all you say you do a bit of research before posting what you think is cool, So, please share it with us all.

If the world supports an election and a peaceful solution and YIngluck is asking for an election and peaceful solution, but Suthep is not, would that not indicate that the world is supporting Yingluck and Suthep?

I think most people in the world would not support nutters taking to street for a power grab when the government is not an oppressive dictatorship violating people's human rights, arbitrarily taking people's freedom or businesses or taking freedoms away or causing physical abuse for speaking out against the government. The prtesting Thais have it quiet well, but are apparently easily manipulated into thinking otherwise, so why should the world be sympathetic when many have it far worse.

• Like 2

Virtually every single Western power has called for democracy to prevail. This is where Yingluck has done a turn on Suthep beyond belief. Shes managed to turn the issue away from the corruption plaugeing her government to one about defending democracy, hence the "Respect My Vote" campaign drawing in people who actually hate her and her brother. World opinion is forced to support her as she is the only one backing democracy.

Here is an article out today from probably the most highly respected international affairs publication in the world -

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21593419-varying-degrees-justification-election-boycotts-are-vogue-asia-trouble

" The main opposition group, the Democrat Party, should contemplate a name change: to the “anti-Democrats”, perhaps, or the catchier “Born to Rule!”. It is boycotting next month’s election not because it would be unfair (though it might be), but because it would lose. It has not won a general election for more than two decades. Its supporters in the south are outnumbered by those in the north and north-east of the country, who keep on voting in proxies for Thaksin Shinawatra, an exiled former prime minister. The forces that the Born to Rules represent, including much of Thailand’s traditional elite, find this impossible to accept. They are openly campaigning for what amounts to dictatorship, though they do not call it that. Democracy has not worked for the Democrats."

This is World Opinion, sorry if it doesnt match the TV clique of "I moved to Thailand as a sex tourist but want to try and be middle class" crew.

I've said this for years. The thinking goes like this. I am falang - I can buy sex and cheap beer - taxis call me sir - I am above these people... therefore I am Elite by virtue of being superior to most Thais I meet in bar areas or getting there and home.

Sorry it is a bit strong for a first post,but I don't usually come on here. Some reason. BP comments have gone down.. so you've got me for a while.

• Like 1

my wife and her friends as well as several hundred others from our village have been in BKK for several weeks protesting and no one has offered them any money to go

Do they not have jobs to go to? How do they fund this near 2 month holiday!?

It reminds me of those guys that sit beside Westminster in endless protests. Mere mortals like myself have to work for a living

My partner, mother and sister from Suratthani are at the protests all the time, apparently Suthep is going to stop corruption in Thailand cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif . They earn an average 45 to 50 thousand bht mth from Palm Oil, all the manual work is done by contract day labour. This is how they manage to be in Bangkok so much.

• Like 1

Virtually every single Western power has called for democracy to prevail. This is where Yingluck has done a turn on Suthep beyond belief. Shes managed to turn the issue away from the corruption plaugeing her government to one about defending democracy, hence the "Respect My Vote" campaign drawing in people who actually hate her and her brother. World opinion is forced to support her as she is the only one backing democracy.

Here is an article out today from probably the most highly respected international affairs publication in the world -

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21593419-varying-degrees-justification-election-boycotts-are-vogue-asia-trouble

" The main opposition group, the Democrat Party, should contemplate a name change: to the “anti-Democrats”, perhaps, or the catchier “Born to Rule!”. It is boycotting next month’s election not because it would be unfair (though it might be), but because it would lose. It has not won a general election for more than two decades. Its supporters in the south are outnumbered by those in the north and north-east of the country, who keep on voting in proxies for Thaksin Shinawatra, an exiled former prime minister. The forces that the Born to Rules represent, including much of Thailand’s traditional elite, find this impossible to accept. They are openly campaigning for what amounts to dictatorship, though they do not call it that. Democracy has not worked for the Democrats."

This is World Opinion, sorry if it doesnt match the TV clique of "I moved to Thailand as a sex tourist but want to try and be middle class" crew.

Well, if the writer says that Thaksin was "exiled," then it certainly is opinion -- not news -- and misinformed, biased opinion at that. Thaksin was never exiled - he is a fugitive from justice.

I walked with Suthep from Chidlom to Asok.

The people were 100% peaceful and friendly.The Asok stage area is full of tents. Nobody plans on leaving anytime soon. The entertainment was very good also. Sukhumvit is totally closed to cars.

Just like Donald Trump who on the witness stand when asked what his wealth actually was responded I am worth whatever

I say I'm worth. With Suthep if you ask him I am sure he feels the same. The numbers are what ever he says they are. If

by Suthep scientific calculation the last number was 5.8 million and this protest is bigger and more important his number

will probably be 8.5- 10 million. (By scientific calculation of course) whistling.gif