Motorbike from Thailand to Cambodia

Brunus

I was thinking to go from Thailand to Cambodia by bike. I would like to know

1) Do they allow me to take my Thai motorbike to Cambodia via Pailin or Poipet border? If yes, do they charge something?

2) Is my Thai licence valid in Cambodia because of ASEAN or do I need an international licence?

3) How about an insurance? Where can I make one valid for Cambodia and how much more or less.

4) I was thinking to go there during Songran. They don't play water in Cambodia, right?

Thanks in advance for your help

1) Do they allow me to take my Thai motorbike to Cambodia via Pailin or Poipet border? If yes, do they charge something?

2) Is my Thai licence valid in Cambodia because of ASEAN or do I need an international licence?

3) How about an insurance? Where can I make one valid for Cambodia and how much more or less.

4) I was thinking to go there during Songran. They don't play water in Cambodia, right?

1) U can enter at Poi pet, Customs is about 200 meters down the road on the left side, better crossing at Osmach thou, ( south of Surin)

2) NO,it is not valid, u need a Cambodian license BUT its not a problem, just pay the $1-2 when ur stopped :-)

3) You can NOT get it an if u have an accident ur F#@ked

4) That is New years in Cambodia

Check out gt- riders forum

Edited by LivinginKata
reformat - do not modify another member's quote
  • Like 1

1) U can enter at Poi pet, Customs is about 200 meters down the road on the left side, better crossing at Osmach thou, ( south of Surin)

2) NO,it is not valid, u need a Cambodian license BUT its not a problem, just pay the $1-2 when ur stopped :-)

3) You can NOT get it an if u have an accident ur F#@ked

4) That is New years in Cambodia

Check out gt- riders forum

That's right, no matter what the Thai authorities say or how a Pan-ASEAN agreement has been reached, the Cambodians do NOT accept Thai licenses - I keep getting the impression that the Thai authorities are overly optimistic when in fact they really don't know much about what goes on outside of their own borders - the Cambodians only reluctantly let Thai vehicles into their country and then they don't insure them (perhaps there is some sort of possibility of insurance if you go on an official tour package by getting advance permission from Phnom Penh to bring in your bike, but I'm not sure, perhaps not either).

They may accept international licenses, but ideally you'll get yourself a Cambodian one, which is easy to get in Phnom Penh (and probably other cities as well) although in practice you may get away with not having one at all and just pay a small fine as Phuketrichard already mentioned.

I've driven for years in Camb (cars, not motos) with an international license, always been accepted without question by the police.

But a Thai license, no.

For that matter haven't ever had a problem using same international license in Thailand.

here we go again, there is no such thing as an international license,

It is an International driving Permit and is ONLY valid with a valid country license.

I know is only terminology but its easy to use the correct words.

Agree Idl is totally illegal and can be found on Khao San Road. An IDP or International Driving Permit is legal and only valid for 1 year on your home dl.