Good quality handheld radioes in Phuket Town

Archie Pelago

Just wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to source some decent quality handheld radioes (2-way walkie-talkie type) in Phuket Town, Chalong or Kathu (Phuket Town preferred)

Something like Icom or Motorola with a decent 5km LOS range preferable.

Any recommendations appreciated!

No problem for licence, we have Thai staff.

Thai staff need a licence as well. Unless you have a Thai amateur radio licence (or are eg police operating on assigned police channels), you cannot legally use the 'black' handhelds. The fines are quite high for illegal use....

You need to buy the red handhelds, AND purchase a licence for them. But the range will be limited, maybe 1km at best in the open

Simon

Thailand

Thailand has an 80 channel CB-style service using FM between 245.000 and 245.9875 MHz. Units are allowed up to 5 watts RF power. Besides personal use, the equipment is used by search and rescue and businesses. Operating rules are less restrictive than amateur radio service, with an initial license fee required. The hand-held units usually have a red case. There are an estimated one million users of the service, often in large cities.[8]

Some examples at http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/radio-thailand.html

Was thinking of bringing my Bearcat programmable hand held police scanner back with me next time.

It's probably illegal to listen in on poliice channels, (although that doesn't seem to stop the ambulance body snatchers....).

But if the scanner is just a receiver, I doubt that you'll be stopped in customs with it.

However, what do you propose to listen to?? All police transmissions are in Thai language (often southern Thai). You need to understand fluent Thai to understand what is going on.

Does your scanner include the aeronautical band (108-137MHz)? You could listen in to the control tower at Phuket Airport. At least those transmissions are mostly in English.

2 metre band (144-148MHz) ham activity is always in Thai language.

Simon

The black hand-held radios, Motorola brands etc, cover VHF FM only, including police, amateur and marine bands.

I have a 5 watt hand-held radio (Vertex brand which is Yaesu company ==> good quality, splashproof radio). It doesn't cover the aeronautical band (which is AM anyway). But the Phuket shop where I bought it only sells it to people holding a Thai amateur radio licence, (or to police, military etc).

Simon

The op was asking where to buy them.

Phuket Town. At the light by Dowroong villa and school, heading to Phuket town, about 100 m to the right, after crossing the light. Their entire window has displays for Yaesu and other walkie talkies.

The wonders of modern technology (or at least google street view) - your directions were good enough for me to find this:

Google Street view of a radio shop - is this where you meant?

Thanks for providing a location

The black hand-held radios, Motorola brands etc, cover VHF FM only, including police, amateur and marine bands.

I have a 5 watt hand-held radio (Vertex brand which is Yaesu company ==> good quality, splashproof radio). It doesn't cover the aeronautical band (which is AM anyway). But the Phuket shop where I bought it only sells it to people holding a Thai amateur radio licence, (or to police, military etc).

Simon

And could you please tell me where this Phuket shop is?

The op was asking where to buy them.

Phuket Town. At the light by Dowroong villa and school, heading to Phuket town, about 100 m to the right, after crossing the light. Their entire window has displays for Yaesu and other walkie talkies.

The wonders of modern technology (or at least google street view) - your directions were good enough for me to find this:

Google Street view of a radio shop - is this where you meant?

Thanks for providing a location

Yeah man. I was on the way out the door, hence the dyslexic directions.

The shop is on the bypass road, 300 metres before the Tesco traffic lights as you travel from the Toyota Pearl junction, on the left-hand-side, just before the Tannachart Bank. It is called VTM Automation. They usually have antenna masts outside (they install mobile phone and comms masts up to 120 metres in height).. They will not sell you a 'black' handheld without sight of a licence :)

Simon

• Like 1

The shop is on the bypass road, 300 metres before the Tesco traffic lights as you travel from the Toyota Pearl junction, on the left-hand-side, just before the Tannachart Bank. It is called VTM Automation. They usually have antenna masts outside (they install mobile phone and comms masts up to 120 metres in height).. They will not sell you a 'black' handheld without sight of a licence smile.png

Simon

Thanks Simon!

Our guys include Thai National Park Rangers with licences for radios - we will go and have a look.

Cheers