Delay February 2 election or risk violence: EC

webfact

FEBRUARY 2 ELECTION
Delay poll or risk violence: EC

The Nation

Agency seeks one-on-one meet between PM, EC chief; govt stands firm on Feb 2

BANGKOK: -- In its strongest warning yet to the caretaker government, the Election Commission yesterday said pushing ahead with the February 2 election could spark a severe conflict, possibly leading to violent civil unrest.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, who is one of the five election commissioners, said postponement of the election until May could help ease the ill will between proponents and opponents of the February 2 polls. He said the extended period could be spent implementing reforms or changing laws, as demanded by the protesters, who have rallied for more than 70 days.

"The government seems to opt for a war by pushing ahead with the February 2 election," Somchai said. "If we remain stubborn, we will see hell before us."

He warned of possible riots by people who disagree with an early election. There could also be widespread outrage if police take action against voters who break the law, such as by tearing up ballot papers.

"The EC doesn't want to see more firewood thrown on the fire. Whatever we can do to put out the fire, we are ready to do it," Somchai said, adding that in a tense situation like this, even a small dispute could lead to a riot or more severe forms of conflict.

The caretaker government yesterday stood firm against postponing the election. The caretaker PM and other Cabinet members also ruled out stepping down, as had been demanded by the protesters, according to a source in the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

Somchai said yesterday that the EC had been unable to reach caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, but will continue its attempts until EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen can meet with her. He had tried unsuccessfully to reach Yingluck by phone. "The call was not answered and I didn't get any call back," Somchai said.

He said the EC was seeking a meeting with Yingluck today at the Navy Convention Hall to discuss the election agency's postponement proposal. He pointed to concern over possible violence in the run-up to the election. If the PM is busy today, the EC would continue sending her an invitation every day until she responds, he said.

"One side has said there are many problems [with holding a February 2 election]. The other side cannot simply go shopping. There must be a discussion. We should avoid pouting, like they do in TV dramas," he said.

Meanwhile, the caretaker PM’s secretary-general, Suranand Vejjajiva, said the PM had not received any official invitation for a meeting from the Election Commission. Therefore, there will be no meeting with the EC today as stated by the EC to media.

Somchai said the EC wanted to meet the PM in person - and not her representative - to discuss important legal issues involving the election. He would disclose those issues during a meeting with the PM. Somchai said caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan should also attend the meeting with the EC.

He said the idea of discussing the matter with the PM was agreed by all five election commissioners.

"It's no use the prime minister trying to avoid us. We have to help ensure peace in our country. The government should have respect for the EC chairman and they should talk with us," Somchai said.

On Wednesday, Yingluck, after meeting representatives from 37 parties, said the majority of the participants insisted that the election go ahead as scheduled.

Meanwhile, chief coalition whip Aumnuay Khlangpha yesterday said he would sue the election commissioners if the February 2 election does not take place. Pheu Thai Party members in the South who could not register as election candidates have already filed police complaints.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-17

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the law requires the election to be held Feb 2nd but if all the relevant authorities agree it would be in the countries best interest to postpone it and not to charge the PM. Problem solved?

Indeed. She made that offer and it was rejected out of hand by me Suteph. If he thinks a coup is the best solution, he might need to consider how the international community would react this time. A look at the Washington Post article might give him a hint

• Like 1

pushing ahead with the February 2 election could spark a severe conflict, possibly leading to violent civil unrest.

Many people have probably told her this, yet it just slides off her. Maybe the EC ought to try setting up a meeting in Dubai with the real PM of Thailand.

It's not her decision anyway, are you kidding yourself?

• Like 1

I don't understand why the EC seems to be running its own campaign through the media. Hard not to see the EC as a politicised body. I thought firemen are meant to put out fires

Maybe they are frustrated because the PM (Yingluck) is avoiding meeting with them. Why is she avoiding speaking with the EC directly?

• Like 2

The only ones who will resort to violence if people exercise their right to vote will be Suthep and his loonies who want to take that right away.

Please state you logic to hold an election and waste millions of baht on an election that can not suceed as even they win their ill not be enough MP's so make a government

Oh I see. You not care as its not your money

Its the Thai people's money

Now you offend me as you want to waste my wifes moeny as we have to pay taxes her in Thailand

• Like 1

Fire the bunch of them. Seems like the just don't want to do their job and trying to find a way out of it. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Don't be ridiculous. An election on the 2nd will only make things worse. Thaksin and his sister need to step down, reform needs to be made, and then there can be elections.

• Like 1

I don't understand why the EC seems to be running its own campaign through the media. Hard not to see the EC as a politicised body. I thought firemen are meant to put out fires

Maybe they are frustrated because the PM (Yingluck) is avoiding meeting with them. Why is she avoiding speaking with the EC directly?

Honestly these EC commisioners are looking more and more foolish by the day, they had a chance to voice there disapproval at the feb 2nd elections a few days ago when there was a forum which they were invited to, what happened? they didn't turn up and sent a representative who said nothing! you had your chance, you blew it now <deleted>!

• Like 1

The only ones who will resort to violence if people exercise their right to vote will be Suthep and his loonies who want to take that right away.

Please state you logic to hold an election and waste millions of baht on an election that can not suceed as even they win their ill not be enough MP's so make a government

Oh I see. You not care as its not your money

Its the Thai people's money

Now you offend me as you want to waste my wifes moeny as we have to pay taxes her in Thailand

I am sorry you found my post offensive and it wasn't meant to offend anyone nor was it directed at you. Again my deepest and most sincere apology for the offence it has caused to you.

So the 37 parties who want to go ahead with the election are PT and all the affiliates under Thaksin's thumb. As for the rest they don't really care. Why must the election happen so soon ? For big brother's amnesty, the moment 180 days are over if PT are in power, hello big brother back from his holiday whiter than driven snow HELL NO !!! Also so that all the impending corruption cases against the current crop of cronies can be blanked. Diplomatic immunity and such. HELL NO !!! As ever they are only out for their vested interests and screw the consequences. The statement's from the EC gentleman are priceless and a good reflection of the reality of the PT morons...

Fire the bunch of them. Seems like the just don't want to do their job and trying to find a way out of it. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

They are doing their job. Just that they aren't willing to break the law and risk violence to appease Taksin. ''Wah wah it's all a conspiracy I tell ya !!''

They are doing their job. Just that they aren't willing to break the law and risk violence to appease Taksin. ''Wah wah it's all a conspiracy I tell ya !!''

You can always tell when someone is lying. Like right now.

• Like 1

Another priceless comment! did you understand the OP. your idea of them not doing their job, is once again laughable.clap2.gif