Bangkok to introduce Thailand's first 'Dog Park' in May

webfact

BMA to introduce Thailand’s first “Dog Park” in May

BANGKOK, 17 January 2014, (NNT) --The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to open the country’s first “Dog Park” in Bangkok in May. The first one is located in Watcharapol area, with 3 more to be opened in different parts of the city to cater to canine lovers.

According to deputy-director of the BMA’s Environmental Department, Mr. Somchai Chatsakulpen, the agency's “Dog Park” project in Watcharaphol area is now 30 percent complete. The park project, for which a budget of 47 million baht has been allotted, is situated on a 4 rai piece of land.

The park will be divided into 3 zones. The first zone will be looked after by the BMA’s Health Department. Dogs will be separated into different categories before they enter the park, as different types of dog require different level of attention. Moreover, there will also be veterinarians on standby to look after the canines.
The selection of the location of the park is considered the most important task as it has to be an area unlikely to create nuisance to nearby residents. Mr. Somchai expects the park to be open in May.

The BMA is planning to open such a park in three other locations, including at Suan Luang Rama 9 Park, Bang Khun Thain Beach, and Soi Petchakasem 69 (Bang Bon 3) to cover every corner of Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-17 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

I can just see the owners carrying plastic bags and picking-up after their POO-ches have done their thing....what a laugh that'll be.

Just hope a Fat Little Bully Boy from North Korea doesn't get wind of it, he might be looking to Dog-nap a few extras for his Execution Squad.

Anyone considering using the park should read up about leptospirosis it's a real danger, not only for our 4 legged friends but also humans.

A link would have ben nice, so here it is: http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/

Is Parvovirus prevelent in SE Asia, I have only heard of it in Southern USA States, but it is contracted the same way as the lepto above.

thumbsup.gif

I'd like BMA to allow us to take our pooches (on leads) to all BKK's current parks, and we promise to pick up all our poos.

Fine us 1,000 Bht on-the-spot if we don't.

I'd like a walk with our bitches, no need to even let them run free.

• Like 1

About time too, because Bangkok already has its very own dedicated "Cat Park" (Lumpini). Have you seen the number of pussies that seem to live out their entire lives in there? They seem to be under the illusion that they're rabbits, because they certainly breed like them! Those park cats seem to lead an easy life compared to cats in other parts of Bangkok. They all look healthy, contented and well fed and I regularly see Thais feeding them dry and canned food. It's a dog's life!

I'd like BMA to allow us to take our pooches (on leads) to all BKK's current parks, and we promise to pick up all our poos.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that you are not allowed to walk a leashed dog on public land in Bangkok. Where do people exercise their dogs then?

47 million baht for a few dog owners. Better to spend the same amount for all and remove the dogs from our streets. IMO it's an incorrect allocation of funds. Dog parks should only be thought of when the streets are free of dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

The government does not have only 47 million baht in it's budget.

Edited by celso

If I understand you correctly you are saying that you are not allowed to walk a leashed dog on public land in Bangkok. Where do people exercise their dogs then?

Public park, not public land.

I've been to a few public parks in BKK, and they have "No Pets" signs, even though the parks are empty when I go.

So most people walk their dogs on leashes on the pavements, car parks.

Of course if you have a house and garden, you have no problem.

I live in a house & have a garden, but I'd like to give my Yorkie a change of scenery once in a while if possible.

• Like 2

Too bad Bangkok overlords do not see a need for people to have green spaces. Thailand must hold a record for greatest concrete jungle.

Too bad Thai multi millionaire's despite all their "Thainess" do not give back to communities by creating desperately needed green spaces in metro areas.

Dog park. I guess that is a place you go to set the dog free when you don't want it anymore right?

47 million baht for a few dog owners. Better to spend the same amount for all and remove the dogs from our streets. IMO it's an incorrect allocation of funds. Dog parks should only be thought of when the streets are free of dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

The government does not have only 47 million baht in it's budget.

Never said it did. You need to read what is written rather than misquote and give unrelated links.

Public park, not public land.

I've been to a few public parks in BKK, and they have "No Pets" signs, even though the parks are empty when I go.

So most people walk their dogs on leashes on the pavements, car parks.

Of course if you have a house and garden, you have no problem.

I live in a house & have a garden, but I'd like to give my Yorkie a change of scenery once in a while if possible.

OK understand now. Had a policeman shoo me out of a park in Ban Amphur that is unfenced and has no sign saying "No dogs". Many local residents all take their dogs there as I still do ignoring the policeman's wish as just "nothing better to do than push the Farang around".

I too have a house and garden but 52 square wah is not big enough to exercise my Labrador. We walk to some waste land and there she goes off the leash chasing ball or frisbee.

• Like 1

Wow, you really do not know the country you live in. Dog ownership is quite high in Bangkok, exceeding 30% of homes by some estimates.

Are you aware that many older people have a dog as a companion now? The kids move out and mom & dad get a fluffy friend to keep them company.

Have you looked at the per care/food section of any of the shops like Tesco-Lotus, Big C etc.? Even 7-11 and Family Mart carry the products. If there wasn't a large market do you think the retailers would devote as much as space as they do?

It is an appropriate allocation of funds. These residents all contribute to the municipal tax base. They deserve a place to go and unwind after a day of work. Dog parks aren't just for the dogs: They serve as an important social gathering place for people. The dog parks promote social interaction and are an effective way of getting people to meet their neighbors and to develop an interest in the local community. In cities where such parks are located, crime in the immediate areas of the parks goes down, and the locals become active in events that impact them. This comes about because the park users get to know each other. The social interactions of dog owners are quite different than those with children at a playground.

Of course I know this country. Your patronizing attitude is most rude and uncalled for.

So what if dog population is 30% of homes. That leaves 70% non dog, a large majority. I feel sure that those 70% if asked would sooner have the 47 million spent on ridding their streets of strays rather than pampering to a minority in providing dog parks.

Everything you say about a dog park can be obtained in any park if the BMA would allow properly controlled, leased, dogs into them.

I'm glad it is not my tax money that is being ill spent by the BMA in indulging a few, yes it still is a few because its a minority, dog owners.

If however dog owners were to pay a license fee for their pet or an entrance fee into the park that covers the expenditure of the BMA then I'd be fine with that.

• 7 months later...

I have lived in major cities worldwide, along with my three dogs. I am a responsible dog owner, and pick up after the dogs !

What I fail to understand is why dogs are not permitted in the major parks in the city. Any responsible dog owner has their dogs vaccinated, and or microchipped. They stay on the leash and are well trained.

It's a nightmare trying to walk along any of the soi's here, with electric cables laying on the streets, sidewalk /pavement vendors, not to mention the motor cycle taxis.

I would have no issue paying a reasonable entry fee ( as opposed to Ozono ) which charges 300 baht per dog usage of their very small park. Ozone is yet another small ''shopping complex' for pet owners.

The Bark Yard * Soi 26 Sukhumvit, is fabulous, and I am grateful for them opening The Bark Yard, however there are times we prefer to walk the dogs in a larger area.

Meantime, soi dogs dominate the area/local soi's, fouling everywhere, and I am chastised for trying to walk 'one of the quieter soi's... despite showing the lady that I had picked up after my dogs !

Just saying, before the anti dog people start ranting...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...