Extension of stay for Retirement Chiang mai Immigration

Yesterday the 16th of jan. went to Chiang Mai Immigration at 7:00PM there was a line already formed, thought about coming back earlier today, but O well give it a shot. Parked the scooter in the lot next door and got in Line, waited about 15 min. and the doors opened and we started moving. When I got to the door given number 59. After about 45 min. my number called went to the information desk and was give another number this one 248 and was told come back at 3PM.

Took off for a break came home watched TV, went for lunch, talked to some friends, and double checked my paper work, returned at 2:45 should have waited until 3PM. I was finally called up to desk 6 presented my paper work all in order. The immigration Officer mentioned that my passport expired in Dec. 2014 and that I would only be given a extension of stay until then, I said yes I know about this, the officer filled out all of the paper wwork as well as a form informing me of the renewal date in Dec. and asked me to sign to signify that I understood, ok no problem. Paid the 1900 baht and waited about 15 to 20 min. for passport to be returned with the receipt. No problems went very smooth unlike the guy in booth 5 who came totally unprepared aand was told to get copies and fill out the forms. The officer also made a point of explaining that my next 90 day report was in Mar. and that my extension didn't act as a 90 day report.

Probably would be a good idea to get a re-entry permit ahead of actually needing one. Of course when you come late -- yes, 7 am arrival is late for Chiang Mai -- there isn't enough time to get a re-entry permit the same day that you get a retirement extension when you show up that late. Given that it's usually an all-day affair to get a take care of visa extensions in Chiang Mai, I don't want to risk losing the extension if I have to leave Thailand in a hurry without time to get a re-entry permit.

Fortunately, it doesn't take all day to get a re-entry permit. You can easily take care of it the same time you come to do a 90-day report, just so you come before, say, 2 pm.

Edited by NancyL