'Respect my vote' - Thai election supporters speak out

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"As to whether she's fit to be PM - guess what, in a democracy the people get to decide that. That is the only thing that matters in a democratic system. You don't agree? Vote against the party. And if that party has ties to a person you don't like then vote against them. It's not a tricky concept but it seems to cause some confusion in these forums." Snig27

Yingluck is a party list MP which means she doesn't even represent a specific riding or territory. She was selected as leader by the PT party, or more likely her brother. She has had time to show if she if fit to be PM, I think she has been less than stellar. The idea in these forums that a democratic system is always fair and cannot be abused is very naive. North Korea has Democratic right in it's name, I guess that proves that it is a free country where people's votes choose the leader. If the people don't like their current despot they should just vote him out, right? People here in the forum have an understanding of what democracy is but they won't admit that things get murky when it is applied in the real world. Votes get bought, people get intimidated, propaganda is used. Nothing is as simple as you would like to pretend it is. And yes both sides do it.

Same as North Korea right...

BTW, Chad is in Africa, not the USA cheesy.gif

"As to whether she's fit to be PM - guess what, in a democracy the people get to decide that. That is the only thing that matters in a democratic system. You don't agree? Vote against the party. And if that party has ties to a person you don't like then vote against them. It's not a tricky concept but it seems to cause some confusion in these forums." Snig27

Yingluck is a party list MP which means she doesn't even represent a specific riding or territory. She was selected as leader by the PT party, or more likely her brother. She has had time to show if she if fit to be PM, I think she has been less than stellar. The idea in these forums that a democratic system is always fair and cannot be abused is very naive. North Korea has Democratic right in it's name, I guess that proves that it is a free country where people's votes choose the leader. If the people don't like their current despot they should just vote him out, right? People here in the forum have an understanding of what democracy is but they won't admit that things get murky when it is applied in the real world. Votes get bought, people get intimidated, propaganda is used. Nothing is as simple as you would like to pretend it is. And yes both sides do it.

You are trying to compare Thailand's political system to North Korea because of a word? Seriously? That's beyond ridiculous - do you have a grasp on how the two systems work? I guess not. Whether she's a list MP too is neither here nor there, she is the leader of the parliamentary majority party and thus PM. Forget about North Korea - your comparison is ludicrous - in a parliamentary democracy roughly equivalent to the Westminster system that's how a PM is selected.

And if we are talking qualifications, Yingluck's academic and business past would arguably make her the most qualified politician in the current parliament - at least from an admin POV - for the job.

He is correct both North Korea and Thailand have a democracy. It is a word that has many interpretations. Yet it is the word used in saying that Suthep doesn't want one. It is a word used through out the threads as some thing that Suthep doesn't want by his opponent's and some thing that he wants by his supporters. Only he wants an honest one.

What is her business past. A post in her brothers corporation that was done away with when he made her the head of the PTP. In other words her business past is comparable to her post as PM nepotism. that is the sum in one word of her business past.

What is her academic record she graduated from a collage hardly any one ever heard of. what was her grade point average. If Abhist was still in the parliament he would blow her away. by the way there is no current Parliament Yingluck disbanded it.

You are trying to compare Thailand's political system to North Korea because of a word? Seriously? That's beyond ridiculous - do you have a grasp on how the two systems work? I guess not. Whether she's a list MP too is neither here nor there, she is the leader of the parliamentary majority party and thus PM. Forget about North Korea - your comparison is ludicrous - in a parliamentary democracy roughly equivalent to the Westminster system that's how a PM is selected.

And if we are talking qualifications, Yingluck's academic and business past would arguably make her the most qualified politician in the current parliament - at least from an admin POV - for the job.

He is correct both North Korea and Thailand have a democracy. It is a word that has many interpretations. Yet it is the word used in saying that Suthep doesn't want one. It is a word used through out the threads as some thing that Suthep doesn't want by his opponent's and some thing that he wants by his supporters. Only he wants an honest one.

What is her business past. A post in her brothers corporation that was done away with when he made her the head of the PTP. In other words her business past is comparable to her post as PM nepotism. that is the sum in one word of her business past.

What is her academic record she graduated from a collage hardly any one ever heard of. what was her grade point average. If Abhist was still in the parliament he would blow her away. by the way there is no current Parliament Yingluck disbanded it.

what the heck does that have to do with anything ??? plenty of world leaders have 0 work experience in the real world same as Abhisit also plenty have below average grades or none at all some do just fine. Abhisit blows ill give you that.

PS caveat I dont rate YS either but try not to make sweeping statements about political capability based on education or work record as quite frankly its irrelevant in a successful leader of which neither of them stack upto

• Like 1

what the heck does that have to do with anything ??? plenty of world leaders have 0 work experience in the real world same as Abhisit also plenty have below average grades or none at all some do just fine. Abhisit blows ill give you that.

PS caveat I dont rate YS either but try not to make sweeping statements about political capability based on education or work record as quite frankly its irrelevant in a successful leader of which neither of them stack upto

I believe Aphisit was an elected MP several times before becoming PM - does that count as no experience? Lol

Is the above post a TV version of the old Lese Majesty ploy? Thailand is indeed a Constitutional Monarchy, and that constitution lays down that it should be governed by means of a Parliamentary Democracy. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is indeed. They try to goad people into getting banned or post removed. Don't ever go there and keep the flaming to a minimum.

The few supportes Suthep has left have taken an absolute hiding on every forum inside and outside of thailand and are now just trying to block some of us and our posts.

We go to the white shirt gatherings as they are quite close. Their numbers are swelling greatly and the momentum is with them. I think some amogst them can see a middle way and if they can distance themselves from the extremists of Suthep and Thaksin, they could romp home through the middle.

Might mean an election delay to let them get organised, but I'd go for that over the Putch and Dictator route currently on offer.

Well done whiteshirts. This is like the Moral Majority all over again. These people really do have the numbers and we really can get behind their movement.... if they stay fresh.

• Like 1

I believe Aphisit was an elected MP several times before becoming PM - does that count as no experience? Lol

Depends if you like your politicians to have had a real job or just flipped out of public school into politics, personally I find the ones with real work experience in private business to be far more in touch with the real world and sympathetic more to the plight and concerns of real hard working people. So no i dont count career politicians for much. tongue.png

Edited by englishoak

What a wonderful peaceful picture this is... Compared to the horrors we have to see, read and listen from the Suthep's anti-democracy supporters all the time.

More and more people in Bangkok join these peaceful "respect my vote" (and democratic most basic rights) gatherings and it is very refreshing.

They represent the 80% of people in Bangkok and millions of others all over the country.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Interesting video on democracy. What I liked was:

"Election does not always mean democracy"

There are many more things to being democratic than just voting. Freedom, equality and rule of law are critical. As is political equality. Worth reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

Majority rule is often listed as a characteristic of democracy. Hence, democracy allows for [/size]political minorities to be oppressed by the "[/size]tyranny of the majority" in the absence of legal protections of individual or group rights. An essential part of an "ideal" representative democracy is competitive [/size]elections that are fair both substantively[/size]%5B14%5D and procedurally.[/size]%5B15%5D Furthermore, [/size]freedom of political expression, [/size]freedom of speech, and [/size]freedom of the press are considered to be essential rights that allow eligible citizens to be adequately informed and able to vote according to their own interests.[/size]%5B16%5D%5B17%5D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

The phrase "tyranny of the majority" (or "tyranny of the masses"), used in discussing systems of democracy and majority rule, envisions a scenario in which decisions made by a majority place its interests so far above those of an individual or minority group as to constitute active oppression, comparable to that of tyrants and despots.[1] In many cases a disliked ethnic, religious or racial group is deliberately penalized by the majority element acting through the democratic process.[citation needed]
Edited by lovetotravel

If AV is still in parliament, he is considered also as a British. A person who used fake document to apply for a teaching job and a draft-dodger. A puppet of Suthep. A PM that did not come directly from the General Election. A darling boy of courts and so called independent agencies. A DEM leader who talks about reform but cannot even reform his party and win election. A person who demanded house to be dissolved but when it happened he boycotted it and now trying to sabotage the 2 Feb election.

All have the Right to protest ...

A free and Fair democracy , must respect what is Internationally considered Free Election process . The current Government is the Elected Peoples representative ..You cant just say " Now we dont Like them " ..

The Government has offered another Election , on Feb 2nd , The white Shirt movement is representaive of all that is Correct about Democracy .

Its time for Thailand to Move to the Next level , to have the respect of those outside , and to give people the right to VOTE .

What is not wanted is to see Thailand head to Visions we are now seeing in Egypt . Democracy and the Constitution now need to be supported .Although the last thing needed is another " Shirt " , this represents common ground and the rights of the people .

Democracy is not always about what YOU ( individually ) may want , but its the best system going around , and must be respected .

You can protest , as so many did against Thatcher in her time ..But governments must never be thrown out , because YOU dont like them .

Look at the reforms achieved by Thatcher that assist Britain today ..Yet go talk to a Coal Miner , as we will still see the hatred , doesn't mean she did the wrong thing .

Now Thailand as a Fledgling democracy , must stand up ..Go to the Polls ..Respect the decision of the people ..Until you go to the Polls again .

Its great to see the White Shirts ask for this respect .

"Look at the reforms achieved by Thatcher that assist Britain today ."

Such as? Deregulation of the banks? Destruction of the manufacturing base? Selling off all the power companies, mostly to foreigners? Destruction of society (she said there's no such thing), selling off the nations housing stock? taking away free milk for primary school kids? deregulation of the global free market economy? GET REAL! the evil old crone destroyed a once great nation!

All have the Right to protest ...

A free and Fair democracy , must respect what is Internationally considered Free Election process . The current Government is the Elected Peoples representative ..You cant just say " Now we dont Like them " ..

The Government has offered another Election , on Feb 2nd , The white Shirt movement is representaive of all that is Correct about Democracy .

Its time for Thailand to Move to the Next level , to have the respect of those outside , and to give people the right to VOTE .

What is not wanted is to see Thailand head to Visions we are now seeing in Egypt . Democracy and the Constitution now need to be supported .Although the last thing needed is another " Shirt " , this represents common ground and the rights of the people .

Democracy is not always about what YOU ( individually ) may want , but its the best system going around , and must be respected .

You can protest , as so many did against Thatcher in her time ..But governments must never be thrown out , because YOU dont like them .

Look at the reforms achieved by Thatcher that assist Britain today ..Yet go talk to a Coal Miner , as we will still see the hatred , doesn't mean she did the wrong thing .

Now Thailand as a Fledgling democracy , must stand up ..Go to the Polls ..Respect the decision of the people ..Until you go to the Polls again .

Its great to see the White Shirts ask for this respect .

The white shirts are just red shirts now wearing a different color. Hardly a group I would say is representative of all that is correct about democracy.

As we all know, the PM desperately needs to be re-elected. If so, she can enact the amnesty bill and get off the hook for all the on going court cases against her and her brother. If not, she's out of politics. This helps put things into perspective.

• Like 1

Lot of smears againts this movement, so it must be on to something.

Need not be shy of coming out to support something as worthy as this. Am trying to see if there are core leaders forming yet around any future aims and objectives.

Lets hope so.

Same as North Korea right...

BTW, Chad is in Africa, not the USA cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>

The point is that democracy can be used to give apparent legitimacy to even the most oppressive regime.

In any country the people in power manipulate democracy to suit their own agenda.

Edited by chadintheusa

Lot of smears againts this movement, so it must be on to something.

Need not be shy of coming out to support something as worthy as this. Am trying to see if there are core leaders forming yet around any future aims and objectives.

Lets hope so.

So the headline in another Thai newspaper (14 January 2014) 'UDD rebrands' was anti-government propaganda?

And Tida red-shirt Tawornseth telling the faithful to adopt white as their colour, light candles and denounce the idea of a coup, was in fact someone totally different?

Sorry, but the white-shirts are already part of the game, though many of them might not know it.

Just imagine that a man was so desperate to re-gain power, that he'd chance politically sacrificing his own sister, use and abuse his own supporters, create another seemingly innocent group, and just maybe employ (naval) personnel to carry out lethal attacks against his opponents, all to muddy the waters and create enough confusion and force a reluctant army to take action. If/when the elections fail and the army is forced to take responsibility, of course any and all charges of corruption and mismanagement can be discounted as politically motivated, as before, and the whole damn circus just keeps on going.

Please note that I am not claiming my supposition as fact, but when facts are so hard to come by, just a little exercise in imaginative analysis of political manipulation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have little idea of all the political pluses and minuses of each party involved in the upcoming election and do not get involved. But what I don't get is why is an English language slogan used? Plenty of pictures around of Thais holding a sign written in English saying "Respect My Vote". At the beach yesterday I was approached by a Thai who shouted it at me several times. Surely the Thai language is rich enough to have a slogan of its own! Isn't it offensive to use another language for something that is purely Thai?