BBC News on FM Radio in Chiang Mai

LawrenceN

When I'm in Bangkok, I listen to a radio station that plays pop music and BBC news in English twice an hour, I think. Is there something like that on the FM dial in Chiang Mai? Not interested in shortwave. I live in CM most of the time.

Look up ThaiExpatTV. It's TVo nly, but about 12 british channels, 5 BBC

runs on the internet and much cheaper than a TV subscription/cable service

Is it downloadable? The problem with live TV is that prime time in the UK is stupid o'clock in the morning here in Thailand!

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm the OP. Did any of you read the question? I'm looking for BBC on FM radio. Yes, TV and the internet are wonderful. Zippity-do! Sorry for the negativity, but if you don't know, you don't need to respond.

• Like 2

no. only CBS news American is on 98.5 FM but it's only 5 minutes 2X per hour and is old news (yesterday's news). internet has many BBC options. i used to enjoy BBC in depth news reporting 2X per day in Europe but not available here.

no. only CBS news American is on 98.5 FM but it's only 5 minutes 2X per hour and is old news (yesterday's news). internet has many BBC options. i used to enjoy BBC in depth news reporting 2X per day in Europe but not available here.

Thanks, Oscar2, for a simple, direct, concise response to a simple question.

• Like 1

you can get all bbc radio through the bbc web site

the bbc iplayer radio app is excellent

So why couldn't I listen to The Ashes even though I pay a BBC license?

couldn't agree more. they dont have the PL commentaries either. but the other output is excellent; five live and radio 6

The BBC only holds the internet radio broadcast rights for certain events (premiership football commentary, the ashes, etc) for the uk

When the BBC website detects that you are in a country that it doesn't have the broadcast rights to (I.e. Thailand) it will prevent you from listening to the program

I'm guessing as the Ashes were in Australia then an Australian broadcaster was controlling the worldwide rights and only sold the BBC the U.k broadcast rights

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

couldn't agree more. they dont have the PL commentaries either. but the other output is excellent; five live and radio 6

You can get live commentary on every PL game through the Talksport Live app (outside Europe only).

Added: Free.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

The BBC only holds the internet radio broadcast rights for certain events (premiership football commentary, the ashes, etc) for the uk

When the BBC website detects that you are in a country that it doesn't have the broadcast rights to (I.e. Thailand) it will prevent you from listening to the program

I'm guessing as the Ashes were in Australia then an Australian broadcaster was controlling the worldwide rights and only sold the BBC the U.k broadcast rights

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you use one of the free VPN providers, you can circumvent the BBC radio broadcast rights problems.

For years (?) FM radio 100.3 here in Chiang Mai would provide BBC news and other programing at 6 in the morning. But since about 2 weeks ago--maybe the first of the year--this has not been the case.

I have to say I miss it. I had my clock radio set so I could listen to the news headlines for 5 or 10 minutes, and then roll over for a bit more sleep.

With a smartphone and 3G connection you can use it as a radio with the free BBC app and it will play on connected bluetooth devices like car systems too. Nice to be able to listen to Today on Radio 4 at lunchtime and decent quality drama too.

I'm the OP. Did any of you read the question? I'm looking for BBC on FM radio. Yes, TV and the internet are wonderful. Zippity-do! Sorry for the negativity, but if you don't know, you don't need to respond.

yes, I read the question and I responded with the best known solution.

Up to you.

• Like 1

This is not for the OP but for others.....I use my smartphone connected to my home sound system and use TuneIn Radio Pro....live access to every UK Radio Station in digital stereo. You can also record to play back later.

In addition, I connect it to my car stereo by bluetooth using the mobile network to listen to my favourite shows live on the move in the car.

Can't remember the last time I used a "wireless"! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app