Lawyers, how much?

BngkkB

I can add a few tidbits on this subject:

1. Check around with some law firms that you think might be suitable for your subject. Some, even many of them, may offer an initial consultation and advice for free. They won't do work or prepare documents for free. But if you have legal questions about property buying or marriage or divorce etc., you'll get an opportunity to ask them and get answers without spending a dime -- at least the first time.

2. I spent an hour this morning with a pair of Thai lawyers and the American lawyer who's their boss, who the Thai pair invited into our meeting, at one of the international law firms based in Bangkok. They answered pretty much all of the questions I had about Thai marriage and divorce law and even prenuptuals -- all complimentary as an initial consulation. When I asked about their hourly rate for regular legal work, the answer was 7,000 baht per hour.

3. One of the smaller but well-known law firms for farangs in Thailand is Isaan Lawyers based in Korat. Their managing director, Sebastian Brousseau, a Canadian attorney who has a staff of Thai attorneys, also was very helpful to me recently with a complimentary initial consultation over the phone. And, they have an offer listed on their website for a regular consultation with him by advance appointment over Skype audio or audio-video call, billed at a rate of 1,000 baht per hour. And he confirmed that still a valid offer.

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/about-us/meet-our-team.html

BTW, I asked the Bangkok international law firm about their price for preparing a prenuptual agreement, and their quote was 20-25K baht. But for the record, that included their work, the preparation of the document, and the payment to a separate law firm to advise one's spouse on such an agreement. Similar to the advice I'd received long ago in the U.S. regarding a prenup, the lawyers here advised that it's best to arrange for a separate, independent attorney/law firm to review the document with one's spouse -- so as to avoid/minimize any subsequent risk of the spouse claiming they were duped into signing a legal document they didn't understand, etc etc.

Isaan Lawyers, on their website, quotes 9800 baht for a prenup. But their quote makes no mention of arranging for a separate lawyer to review it with one's spouse, nor do I know whether Isaan Lawyers feels that's a necessary or recommended step.

Many lawyers have their first consultation free, that is how they get their business, they explain to the client how they can help them and what the fee would be. sometimes the client uses the lawyer and sometimes they don't. That is one of the ways they get their business.

• 4 months later...

I'm an American lawyer and serve as in-house counsel for a company here in Bangkok. We hire all types of lawyers, so I will tell you a secret - there is no price range. These guys charge flat fees for all legal work. They want to get as much money in the door as a retainer and then only play lip service to your case. They are not interested in actually doing any work, and they get away with it, because the legal system is so archaic and the overall quality of lawyers is so poor.

Only real international law firms (like Baker & McKenzie) charge what's called a capped hourly rate. That means that there's an agreed amount of work, an hourly charge assigned to it, and a maximum that the law firm can charge for that piece of work. This is becoming more common, especially for work performed on behalf of multi-national corporations. If you need high quality legal work done, go with an international firm that is headquartered outside of Thailand, but has an office here in Thailand. Otherwise, just hire a solo practitioner (what Grisham calls a "ham and egger") to do your legal work here.

So, here's some charges that I have seen. Some I have paid, and some I have let the lawyers sue me over, and then beaten them up in court.

Solo practitioner (all flat fees)

fraud/theft case with trial and collection services: 35,000 baht

breach of contract trial: 25,000 baht

wrongful discharge through trial: 20,000 baht

appeal: 15,000 baht

Law Firm

copyright infringement, without trial: 200,000+ baht

wrongful discharge through trial and appeal: 500,000 baht

I was looking for a lawyer for a simple assault case that I wanted to defend. I was offered 150,000 baht flat fee. Probably 3 days in court and a few hours prep. That was by a big company.

Do you think you get better quality lawyer and service from big company as opposed to a small office?

I once asked one of the advertisers on TV how much they charged per hour for divorce. He came back and said that they don't have an hourly rate, they charge depending on the activity, divorce was 100,000 baht!

I got that too. Only mine was 150,000. For about 3 days work.

When I said it was too expensive.

Ooh but but we are the super lawyers of Thailand. Nobody can do lawyering accept for us ??????

• 1 year later...

what i dont get is that someone comes in and asks how much for this?

say a pre nup

then they go around town kicking tires

they call and say does this include this as they heard it from another Lawyer

then 2 or 3 more unpaid meetings and several phone calls and several SMS messages and they want it for the same price as you originally quoted.

Now these Joes are from western countries and they know in say the USA they will get charged by the hour so they dont do the former.

But here in Thailand they do and dont expect to pay for the extras.

So pay by the hour looks like the way to go!

As an attorney who worked in the corporate area of law for several years in BK with many Thai lawyers at some very good firms, their rate was anywhere from 250 to 300 U.S. per hour for a partner level attorney. Some services are also flat fee. I suspect in general it's not much different than in the west overall. Some charge more, some less and some work on flat fees. Some Thai attorneys I worked with were very sharp and some not so much. You need to shop around and try to get a good referral from someone. You can't paint it with a broad brush.

I had an hour chat with one local lawyer, he then wrote two letters for me, had two telephone calls to others, one more subsequent consultation and he charged me zero! absolutely nothing, said he was glad to help and no charge,

I bought him a good bottle of whiskey for a thank you.

I met the Tv lawyer Somsak he came out to my Wifes land some 25km in his chauffeur car and had several conversations by phone with him, he charged me nothing as well.

Ive used a big Bangkok Lawyer on occasions as i feel they can be trusted and have a "reputation" to keep, its 10-12000 baht an hour .

I had an hour chat with one local lawyer, he then wrote two letters for me, had two telephone calls to others, one more subsequent consultation and he charged me zero! absolutely nothing, said he was glad to help and no charge,

I met the Tv lawyer Somsak he came out to my Wifes land some 25km in his chauffeur car and had several conversations by phone with him, he charged me nothing as well.

Ive used a big Bangkok Lawyer on occasions as i feel they can be trusted and have a "reputation" to keep, its 10-12000 baht an hour .

I hired him for my contested divorce and I wasn't impressed. In fact his work was really sloppy regarding details and he is not good organized which led to several unnecessary trips to the court which cost me every time 5000 Baht extra and these trips were really unnecessary with a little bit planning ahead. It costs a flat fee of 100,000 Baht and he wanted an additional 10% which I refused to sign. His "professional work" made me loose around 1,500,000 Baht and I refused to appeal the first ruling because of the quality of his work. He even appealed without even asking for my consent. After I found out I made him cancel the appeal. I wouldn't recommend him. Edited by hanuman2543

I hired him for my contested divorce and I wasn't impressed. In fact his work was really sloppy regarding details and he is not good organized which led to several unnecessary trips to the court which cost me every time 5000 Baht extra and these trips were really unnecessary with a little bit planning ahead. It costs a flat fee of 100,000 Baht and he wanted an additional 10% which I refused to sign. His "professional work" made me loose around 1,500,000 Baht and I refused to appeal the first ruling because of the quality of his work. He even appealed without even asking for my consent. After I found out I made him cancel the appeal. I wouldn't recommend him.

i didnt use him at all i just met him and had a chat, i actually wasnt impressed, the point i was making was he didnt charge anything