When the rich fix the rules, the poor lose: Thai editorial

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the best of my knowledge, it's not anti-corruption sentiment that drives the Gates and their pals to donate >=50% of their wealth.

--------------

India has 'recently' passed some fascinating and so far very effective anti-corruption laws. Here, I am really hoping that a TV member/s can better explain in detail just what they are doing.

My understanding is that the new law provides an economic incentive to report/turn in people for acts of corruption. Here's the kicker, typically both the giver of corrupt monies AND the receiver of said money face prosecution...however, India's new law only seeks (pardon the pun) to prosecute the receiver of the money NOT the giver...in fact, the money exchanged between the giver and receiver is to be returned to the GIVER! The economics of this law are both simple and elegant. Historically, both the giver and receiver had every reason to keep their corrupt deals 'in the dark'...not so much now.

The OP suggests that mere altruism on the part of the rich and powerful will end corruption in Thailand - dream on!

Why not let capitalism and the so called empty hand go to work here in LOS?

Again, please someone do a better job of explaining of India's new anti-corruption law/s.

B. reg's

Edited by mamypoko
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with people being rich if they have obtained their money honestly. If the poor want to more go out and work for it. Form unions to presure for better pay and working conditions.

Oh and don't sell your vote to corrupt polititians . It keeps you poor.

a clever tactic is to give the poor jusssst enough money to stay poor. say, vote buying. or promising them stuff and not deliver. playing with the hopes of the poor.... is sick. and a good ol fashiioned hangin' is due.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with people being rich if they have obtained their money honestly. If the poor want to more go out and work for it. Form unions to presure for better pay and working conditions.

Oh and don't sell your vote to corrupt polititians . It keeps you poor.

a clever tactic is to give the poor jusssst enough money to stay poor. say, vote buying. or promising them stuff and not deliver. playing with the hopes of the poor.... is sick. and a good ol fashiioned hangin' is due.

Could not agree with you more! Another common mistake is to regard to poor as 'stupid' or irrational...this has never worked out well for the powerful over time.

Further more, buying votes, delaying votes, hindering people's access to the vote...etc.,etc.yield very, very short term gains, but assure disaster not so far down the road.

Edited by mamypoko
  • Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, it's not anti-corruption sentiment that drives the Gates and their pals to donate >=50% of their wealth.

--------------

India has 'recently' passed some fascinating and so far very effective anti-corruption laws. Here, I am really hoping that a TV member/s can better explain in detail just what they are doing.

My understanding is that the new law provides an economic incentive to report/turn in people for acts of corruption. Here's the kicker, typically both the giver of corrupt monies AND the receiver of said money face prosecution...however, India's new law only seeks (pardon the pun) to prosecute the receiver of the money NOT the giver...in fact, the money exchanged between the giver and receiver is to be returned to the GIVER! The economics of this law are both simple and elegant. Historically, both the giver and receiver had every reason to keep their corrupt deals 'in the dark'...not so much now.

The OP suggests that mere altruism on the part of the rich and powerful will end corruption in Thailand - dream on!

Again, please someone do a better job of explaining of India's new anti-corruption law/s.

B. reg'

no need to explain further, you said it very well, awesome idea

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, something needs to be done, all around the world, but Democracy has only fed this disease of the rich getting richer and the poor being used like slave labor, around the world. Communism has failed as well.

Countries, that seem to do well, and where the standard of living is fairly high, for everyeone, are the Scandinavian Nations, where they have some good social programs and more innovative ways, to use their resources (e.g. selective logging )

Personally, I lean towards Nationalism, with a benevolent monarch or dictator. That way, a Country can isolate itself a little bit, from the global economy and pick and choose, who it wants to trade with. Under a Nationalist system, the Country can also take full control of it's own resources (oil, power, water, etc.) and choose it's own destiny.

Laws can be created and enacted, that benefit everyone, helping the poor, help themselves and also rewarding hard work and innovation.

Corruption can eventually be wiped out, with an iron fist, as long as the people on top, are not corrupt themselves. This is the biggest challenge, we face around the World. Corruption on top. Self interest, above the interest of the Nations, they lead.

Some things, should become basic human rights, everywhere. Things like healthcare (including basic dental care, which is part of health) and education. A Nation, that does not allow it's people to be property educated, will never go far. Innovation needs to be brought into the education system. Questions and new thought, need to be encouraged, if we are to move ahead, on a National and/or Global level.

What is happening, here in Thailand right now, is two sides fighting for their spot on the trough. Neither is much better than the other. Both sides are financed by the Ultra-Rich. Both sides want to keep the poor, poor and work as slaves for them.

Once in a while, little splinter groups, join up with one or the other side, hoping that change will make things better and hoping to have a bit of influence in future policy making, but that is about as far as it goes...hope.

Meanwhile, things like spousal abuse, rape, extortion, slavery, poverty, police and political corruption, along with murder, go on unchecked. wai2.gif

Edited by kurtgruen
  • Like 1

The editorial does fine sticking to Thailand, but why switch to Zuckerberg, Gates, and Buffet without calling out some of Thailand's own ultra super high net worth people? Forbes publishes a list of Thailand's wealthiest- it is public. A quick review of Thailandtatler every month would identify more. The Thai press should ask them how much they're giving and how much aid to Father Joe's Klong Toey Slum, the poor rice farmers, how many hospital facilities and schools they set up in Isaan and/or other deprived depressed provinces and areas of Thailand?

What massive Thai charities have the ultra wealthy of Thailand set up? When was the last time you saw any news of Thai giving and charity? These are the same folks who want Thailand to be run by a "people's council" which they select. At least some of them have used their wealth and power to flaunt the law and buy their way out of criminal activity, plunder the land, and manipulating the Thai public. It's public information. The Thai press should stop playing the charade and call them out. That's the way Thailand would change when it establishes a culture of charity and giving instead of corruption and self service.

I Agree with you, the "Elite" in Bangkok constantly complain that "democracy" does not work in Thailand because it is damaged by the "uneducated", but for decades, as the 'few' have fed off Thailand and increased their wealth to huge levels, what have they done to improve education? Not only the poor but also those who cannot afford to send their children to schools overseas, the so called "educated middle class" have all been let down.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this.

This was the point on a posting about corruption few days ago. That 1%, with that kind of money can corrupt EVERYBODY, EVERY COUNTRY, EVERY ARMY...and corruption now is accepted in our global society like a normal way for ordinary people to increase its income. To reverse this Global mentality is the challenge for the new generation ....but..sincerely... I do not know what generation will do it. At 70, no mine for sure...after voting for a CHANGE in a country that becomes more corrupted and unequal than ever....and try to be the "example" of Democracy and Justice.

Edited by umbanda

--------------

B. reg'

no need to explain further, you said it very well, awesome idea

Awesome idea ????

If I read it well, this means, the giver, f.i. some rich person that wants a law bend for his benefit, can have some government official arrested and punished, when his payment under table does not bear fruits !

Resulting in him getting his cash back !!

Sounds like a result-insurance for underhand illegal deals.

The often criticised rice subsidy scheme in Thailand was a commendable attempt to move wealth back to the poor. Where it went wrong is that it relied on borrowed money instead of taking it directly from the rich.

To analize the thoughts behind the rice scheme of the the present government family, is in reality personal opinion on your part. Please do not even mention in the same paragraph, commendable or using the 'rich' to finance same.

The financing of this program, along with the first car, first house, tablets for students etc has and will be paid by the majority of the Thai citizens. They in turn depend on making a living from tourists, farming, working for manufactors, self employment, etc If you look at the percentage of rich (wealthy) vs the poor and middle class and then look at the percent contribution via various taxes, fees, etc, that finance the government, by the rich vs the majority, you might want to retract that statement.

• Like 1

Yes it's the have's V the have not's.

Off topic, but couldn't pass without commenting on your Highway 61 photo. Back in those days Bob was spitting out lyrics just as fast as he could type - absolutely amazing stuff. Your quote from You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go is great, and Blood on the Tracks is an absolute masterpiece IMO of course.

Here are some of my favorite lyrics. They blow me away every time I hear them.

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"

Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"

God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but

The next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"

God says. "Out on Highway 61".

Cheers.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Yes, I agree, something needs to be done, all around the world, but Democracy has only fed this disease of the rich getting richer and the poor being used like slave labor, around the world. Communism has failed as well.

Countries, that seem to do well, and where the standard of living is fairly high, for everyeone, are the Scandinavian Nations, where they have some good social programs and more innovative ways, to use their resources (e.g. selective logging )

Personally, I lean towards Nationalism, with a benevolent monarch or dictator. That way, a Country can isolate itself a little bit, from the global economy and pick and choose, who it wants to trade with. Under a Nationalist system, the Country can also take full control of it's own resources (oil, power, water, etc.) and choose it's own destiny.

Laws can be created and enacted, that benefit everyone, helping the poor, help themselves and also rewarding hard work and innovation.

Corruption can eventually be wiped out, with an iron fist, as long as the people on top, are not corrupt themselves. This is the biggest challenge, we face around the World. Corruption on top. Self interest, above the interest of the Nations, they lead.

Some things, should become basic human rights, everywhere. Things like healthcare (including basic dental care, which is part of health) and education. A Nation, that does not allow it's people to be property educated, will never go far. Innovation needs to be brought into the education system. Questions and new thought, need to be encouraged, if we are to move ahead, on a National and/or Global level.

What is happening, here in Thailand right now, is two sides fighting for their spot on the trough. Neither is much better than the other. Both sides are financed by the Ultra-Rich. Both sides want to keep the poor, poor and work as slaves for them.

Once in a while, little splinter groups, join up with one or the other side, hoping that change will make things better and hoping to have a bit of influence in future policy making, but that is about as far as it goes...hope.

Meanwhile, things like spousal abuse, rape, extortion, slavery, poverty, police and political corruption, along with murder, go on unchecked. wai2.gif

You want to go back to absolute monarchy or dictators ? Are you mad? Name one where the poor actually really benefited - Russian Czars, Stalin, Mao, various French King Louis's, Julius Caesar, Mugabe, Amin, Castro, etc etc etc. All became very rich themselves with lavish lifestyles - and screwed their country and it people.

Communism failed because of corruption and absolute dictatorship. The leaders ruled as absolute monarchs whilst claiming to be "for the people".

There needs to be something completely different - I wish I knew what. But going backwards to absolute monarchy or dictators of which ever extreme they claim to be isn't likely to work, unless you or your family are the ones in power.

In the meantime the global wealthy now wield more power and influence than ever before thanks to technology. A world council, made up from the wealthy and elite was thought very far fetched. But is it? It would suit them. and again do nothing to improve everyone else's lot.

• Like 1

it always shockes or surprises me, despite world economics going to the drain, that the rich get more rich each year with 10,20% .... nice premium, right ... while most banks give you less than inflation as interest

This editorial, hiding under the title of “When the rich fix the rules, the poor lose”, is politically motivated with a political agenda to mislead the rice farmers who voted for the PTP led government and those who did not.

The problems faced by rice farmers highlighted in this editorial is a result of late payments. It however, has shown us the other side of the story. It is that the farmers need the rice pledging scheme without which their workers are having to deal with higher living costs that the minimum-wage rise does not cover.

The problem is not the rice pledging scheme, but disruptive politics and the enforcement of laws. The farmers themselves have to bear some responsibilities. They should be the party to help the government in rooting up corrupt practices, improving its management and not submitting to the illegal demands of some unscrupulous business operators and factory owners.

There is no sign that PTP led government is not fulfilling its election promises and that the voters are being lured by politicians' promises. PTP’s predecessor TRT, was the first party in Thai political history that fulfill all its election promises. The first party to implement policies that its oppositions accused as populists policies to buy votes. The success of TRT policies gave rise to Thaksin’s popularity and the use of him now seen as has created a power base not completely beholden to the entrenched establishment. It has also created Thaksinism or Thaksin regime and used by oppositions of the PTP led government in their struggle for power.

Increasingly, countries are treating food securities as part of their national security and defense. Detail information during negotiation and the outcome agreement after being ratified by respective country’s legal system on food import and export are treated as State secrets. Those who has or wants access to the information have to follow and abide by the law of the country.

Thailand is in a very disadvantage position to negotiate and compete with any country especially on matters related to food security. No country will be willing to negotiate with us if we do not amend our respective laws to counter the challenges from the changing environment and volatile international politics.