Myanmar Immigraton Better Now

MMan

Have gone to Mae Sai many times for a 90 day passport stamp. Went today and things have changed since October. Now faster and easier than ever.

In the past you would sometimes have to wait a while. Then an officer would use a PC to type up a card they gave you, which took a few minutes. And they would hold your passport while you went shopping - you could then get it back 15 minutes or so later at Emigration across the street. Always made me a little nervous about them keeping my passport.

Today no waiting. Many immigration officers sitting outside their little room. One smiling officer greeted me and took me inside. Asked if I was just there for shopping. Me: "Yes, only 15 minutes or so maybe". OK. Paid my 500 baht and he gave me both an Entrance and an Exit stamp, then handed the passport back and smiled again. No waiting for them to type up a card. No holding my passport. Took less than 30 seconds.

At Emigration there was a sign saying 'show your passport', but nobody there to stop you. Thought about just walking past, but decided to show my passport since there was no wait and didn't want any problems returning to Thailand. The officer saw I already had an Exit stamp, smiled and said "OK, have stamp already", handed back the passport and waved me on.

:-)

• Like 2