Bringing Cats To Thailand

paulsenp

Does anyone know what the rules are for bringing cats into Thailand?

In this case the cat would come from Denmark.

Do you need any permits to bring the cat into the country?

Does the cat have to be quarantined?

Does the cat need any vaccinations?

I would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks,

Peter

Does anyone know what the rules are for bringing cats into Thailand?

In this case the cat would come from Denmark.

Do you need any permits to bring the cat into the country?

Does the cat have to be quarantined?

Does the cat need any vaccinations?

I would appreciate any info you can provide.

Well, well, well, a question that I can answer based on experience.

You will have no problems. I brought my dog, a golden retriever, to Thailand about 5 years ago. Go to your vet and get a cat document to travel. He can answer all your questions. The paper will list all the necessary vaccinations.

Your vet will provide a check up and fill out some document that you will give to the animal section at the airport in Bangkok. You will go to the section and fill out a document and I think pay a small fee. I will ask my wife the fee and get back to you. I recall it was very small. The document does NOT need to be translated into Thai.

The biggest question is if you should use a sedative for your animal or not. I suspect your cat will be in the climate controlled cargo section of the airplane. I would research on the web or check with animal welfare groups in Denmark about good airlines that are pet friendly. We didn't use a sedative for our dog due to her advanced age. I can't answer how cats would react. Again check with animal groups.

There is no quarantine in Thailand.

I hope your cat will be indoors. The lizards alone would love to dine on an unsuspecting farang cat. You can get all the western cat food and supplies here. I don't know if your cat is ready to dine on rice and leftovers. :o

Good luck. PM me if you want further details.

Thanks guys, Monitorlizard and dr Pat Pong, for your responses.

Actually, it is not me and my cat, I don't have a cat, I am just trying to get the information for someone else.

Quick and efficient help, great forum.

Many Royal Thai Embassy and Consulate web sites will have information on them for travel of pets if you want the full details. Los Angeles Consulate is one of them.

As for the lizards eating the cat; it is the other way around in my village. Had cat reach top of outside window screen last night after a chin chuk.

Well I have to say its not that easy. I brought my cat with me a year and a half ago and had a number of issues. First of you need an import certificate that can only be obtained in Thailand. I had my cat transported by a London based company and they provided the information on how to get this document. Your cat must be immunised against Rabies and also some kind of worm I believe it to be Heart Worm or something like that.

I transported my cat in a very good quality pet box with all his paper work in tact and we flew with Thai Air. Do not arrive on a weekend as the official at the airport that deals with animal imports only works Monday to Friday. Even after we got him out of customs we still had to take him back to the airport for a vet inspection, although he has been given residency and does not need to do a visa run.

I would also recommend an injection against Mange because just about every stray cat here has it and your cat will get it very quickly along with all the other farang related ills, the runs, worms etc.

Now having described all the problems I can honestly say our cat has settled in very well. He is a lot bigger than all the local cats so has soon become the governer of our area. There are loads of readily available females for him as well as rats and mice etc. Snakes have been a problem for him in that he can't eat a full one, just eating the head is very messy.

Any more help your friend requires just let me know. If you look at the Phuket Gazette web site's Issues and Answers section information about the douments required can be found there.

Well I have to say its not that easy. I brought my cat with me a year and a half ago and had a number of issues. First of you need an import certificate that can only be obtained in Thailand. I had my cat transported by a London based company and they provided the information on how to get this document. Your cat must be immunised against Rabies and also some kind of worm I believe it to be Heart Worm or something like that.

I transported my cat in a very good quality pet box with all his paper work in tact and we flew with Thai Air. Do not arrive on a weekend as the official at the airport that deals with animal imports only works Monday to Friday. Even after we got him out of customs we still had to take him back to the airport for a vet inspection, although he has been given residency and does not need to do a visa run.

I would also recommend an injection against Mange because just about every stray cat here has it and your cat will get it very quickly along with all the other farang related ills, the runs, worms etc.

Now having described all the problems I can honestly say our cat has settled in very well. He is a lot bigger than all the local cats so has soon become the governer of our area. There are loads of readily available females for him as well as rats and mice etc. Snakes have been a problem for him in that he can't eat a full one, just eating the head is very messy.

Any more help your friend requires just let me know. If you look at the Phuket Gazette web site's Issues and Answers section information about the douments required can be found there.

If the animal travels on the same flight as the owner, my understanding is that no import permit is requred. I reiterate that contact with the airline and Thai Embassy / Consulate is the way to go.

I think it is actually down to the airline, Thai air would not allow my cat on board without an import certificate and he flew on the same flight as me. Below is an official reply from the Phuket Gazette.

Importing a dog

Am I allowed to import a dog from Singapore, which the World Health Organization recognizes as a rabies-free country?

If so, what are the proper procedures and fees, and how long will it take?

Tuesday, April 9, 2002 Bjorn Ostrom, Patong.

“If your dog is to be imported through Phuket International Airport, you will need to go the airport Customs office to obtain the form for importing an animal to Thailand.

The form should be filed at the Customs office 15 days before the dog arrives. You will also need to provide a recent veterinarian’s certificate declaring that the dog rabies-free.

If all the paperwork is in order, there will be no delay in allowing the dog into the country. The fee is 100 baht per dog. ”

Tuesday, April 9, 2002  Yusathira Bandukul, Chief, Animal Quarantine, Phuket Provincial Livestock Office. 

Now if may be different in Bangkok but my advice would be to get all the paperwork whether you need it or not because the last thing you want is delay getting your pet out of customs after a long flight.

Also I asked the Thai Embassy in London for the procedure and what they told me turned out to be totally incorrect.

Good luck.

We brought 2 cats with us from Scotland almost exactly a year ago.

The cats had to have all current injections as specified by the Thai immigration department. (We obtained the latest requirements form the Scottish Office of Agriculture)

We then also had to organise for export certificates from the UK - (these are issued within the last week leading to departure after the animals have the final vet check and are sent to your vet)

Rabies injection IS NOT required for a cat.

Well before (2 months) you fly, you must ask/inform the airline that you plan to use, that you wish to carry cat(s) in their hold. They will then OK that (depends upon the carrier) Double check this a few days before you fly! - I had hassle with SAS as someone had lost the booking and I had to phone round Europe to get authorisation.

Because there were no airlines in Scotland flying abroad with pressurised holds I had to take the cats by train to London.

I checked the cats in (we flew Scandinavian Airlines) at London at the SAS desk, and paid the excess baggage charge for them - about 25 UK pounds per kilo. (For the 2 cats and their respective pet carriers – cost 460 UK pounds) At London, Scandinavian Airlines would take a Debit Card (Switch) payment (I presume also CC or cash but check in advance)

I ensured that the cats had some water and food and then handed them over to the airline staff - that was that.

I boarded the flight and flew to Stockholm where I met my wife and children (whom had flown from Glasgow.)

The cats were automatically transferred onto the Stockholm-Bangkok flight as per our luggage.

We arrived at BKK and cleared passport control. On the revolving console where you collect your luggage we also collected the 2 cat boxes! - You won't miss them as 2 cats going round on a luggage console system draws an interested crowd!

In the same area on that floor as the consoles, is the Thai Vetinary Import office.

We carried the cats and luggage etc to their office. They glanced at the vet certificates and the UK export certificate - filled in a few forms and we paid a small amount - I forget (but under 700 baht in total for 2 cats) Absolutely Nothing compared to the UK vet bills, export certificate and the excess baggage charge that I had already paid!

That was that - we walked though the customs officers - and with 2 children and 2 cats in tow were greeted with smiles and laughter.

No problems at all. – 45 minutes after landing we were heading North to our home.

I was sceptical originally about bring the cats here - but the kids loved them etc etc.

They have coped well with the climate etc - are both a year older and have a fetish for eating lizards and apart from giving them a monthly flea dusting - with the dog flea powder - commonly available - have required no other medication.

I found this link on the Los Angeles Thai Embassy site

Importing Pets into Thailand

Now it clearly states that boths cats and dogs need Rabies, but having said that as with all things in Thailand ask 3 different people and get three different answers.

Anyway I always apply the belt and braces approach to dealing with the Thai authorities - get everything that may be required then you shouldn't have any problems.

As with everything else in Thailand, it seems like there are different ways of interpreting the rules for bringing cats and other pets into the country.

I will forward the information you have supplied.

Thanks again to you all.

Peter