Thai ruling party opposes delay to troubled election

webfact

Thai ruling party opposes delay to troubled election
by Boonradom CHITRADON

BANGKOK, January 27, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's ruling party called Monday for controversial elections to go ahead, despite widespread disruption to advance voting by opposition protesters who besieged polling stations Sunday and stopped hundreds of thousands from casting ballots.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has faced nearly three months of mass street demonstrations demanding her elected government step down to make way for an unelected "people's council" that would oversee reforms aimed at curbing the dominance of her billionaire family.

Ten people have been killed and hundreds injured in grenade attacks, drive-by shootings and street clashes since the protests began at the end of October.

An anti-government rally leader was shot dead in broad daylight Sunday while giving a speech from the back of a pickup truck in a Bangkok suburb.

Yingluck is due to meet election authorities Tuesday to discuss a possible delay to the February 2 general election, after the Constitutional Court ruled that the polls could legally be pushed back because of the civil strife.

But the head of her Puea Thai Party said Monday he opposed a postponement and accused the Election Commission (EC) of not doing enough to ensure an orderly vote.

"The EC is authorised to hold the election and Puea Thai as a political party fielding candidates does not agree with a postponement or delay to the election," Jarupong Ruangsuwan told AFP.

"The EC is stubborn and wants the election to be postponed," he said. "I think the Constitutional Court and the EC are coordinating with the protesters."

It was unclear whether his view reflected that of the government, which said it was ready to listen to the poll body's comments at Tuesday's meeting.

About 440,000 people out of two million registered for advance voting were prevented Sunday from casting their ballots, the election commission said.

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has threatened to "close every route" to polling stations again this coming Sunday, saying the election would not be allowed to take place.

Calls for a reform roadmap
The opposition Democrats are boycotting the February polls, saying reforms are needed to ensure the election is truly democratic and to prevent abuse of power by the next government.

In an interview with AFP, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday that the opposition would consider taking part in a delayed vote.

He called for talks to draw up a "roadmap where reforms can be initiated and we can set a reasonable timeframe for elections that would be accepted by all sides".

Abhisit distanced himself from the protesters' proposal for an unelected "people's council" to run the country, saying that was not the demand of his party.

But he added that Yingluck "does not have the credibility" herself to oversee the reform process.

The kingdom has been bitterly divided since Yingluck's older brother, the then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was overthrown by royalist generals in a coup more than seven years ago.

Critics accuse the billionaire tycoon-turned-politician of controlling his sister's government from Dubai, where he lives to avoid prison for a corruption conviction.

His opponents have staged a self-styled "shutdown" of Bangkok since January 13, erecting roadblocks and rally stages at several main intersections, although attendance has gradually fallen and disruption has been limited.

The government has declared a 60-day state of emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas, giving the authorities the power to ban public gatherings of more than five people, although they have not yet done so.

Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, who is overseeing the government's security response, warned protesters Monday to vacate besieged state offices in the capital, but reiterated a pledge not to use force.

"I'm giving them 72 hours to end their occupation of government offices," he said, adding that the authorities would set up "rapid movement teams to arrest them all".

When a state of emergency was last imposed in 2010 during pro-Thaksin protests, the government then led by Abhisit cracked down with armoured vehicles and soldiers firing live rounds. More than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-27

Wasn't the anti government protest leader shot whilst leading a blockade of a polling station, preventing people from exercising their right to vote?

It doesn't justify his murder, but it significantly changes the context of the article.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

When a state of emergency was last imposed in 2010 during pro-Thaksin protests, the government then led by Abhisit cracked down with armoured vehicles and soldiers firing live rounds. More than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured.

AFP has forgotten to add that the 2010 protests led by the red shirts were not peaceful as they are the 2014 protests.

Buildings were burned down, people were killed and the whole country was in shambles.

Adhisit and the army had to impose some law and order.

Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for his/her political and civil believes.

"Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for their political and civil believes"

Costas, my dear. Are you on LSD??

The democratic and constitutional right is for every citizen to have their say at the ballot-box, without being bullied by thugs, who think otherwise!!coffee1.gif

I thought the word democracy came from Greek? Sleeping through classes??

• Like 1

But were there any buildings scorched prior to the army attacking the protesters, creating live fire zones etc?

And that would be relevant in what context? Or are you trying to say that the army moving in to restore peace and order was sufficient reason for the red terrorists to torch Bangkok?

• Like 1

AFP has forgotten to add that the 2010 protests led by the red shirts were not peaceful as they are the 2014 protests.

Buildings were burned down, people were killed and the whole country was in shambles.

Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for his/her political and civil believes.

Does that democratic rigjt inclide using force to prevent people voting?

"Buildings were burned down, people were killed..."

But were there any buildings scorched prior to the army attacking the protesters, creating live fire zones etc?

That didn't justify the burning down of buildings. And the protesters had the chance to leave peacefully had they chosen to do so. In fact it was Thaksin himself who ordered the protests to continue rather than accept what was a deal to call elections six months later.

• Like 2

Killing Col. Romklao and wounding 4 other soldiers on 10 April 2010 doesn't count? Firing 4 RPGs at the Sala Daeng BTS Station and injuring 25 people, or setting the bomb that then went off in front of the bank on SIlom road on 23 April 2010 doesn't count? Etc., etc

Ummmm.... so contrary to my maternal advice, two wrongs really do make a right?? Have we learned nothing from the last time or the time before, or the time before that ... Let's just pop a student or two up a tree adjacent to Sanam Luang.....

JAG, on 27 Jan 2014 - 17:23, said:JAG, on 27 Jan 2014 - 17:23, said:
Costas2008, on 27 Jan 2014 - 15:00, said:Costas2008, on 27 Jan 2014 - 15:00, said:

Yes, if an undemocratic, totalitarian and corrupt government is to be elected.

Edited by Costas2008

I think YS will agree to a 3 month delay. Some in her party don't agree

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She cannot.

The Thai Constitution does not allow for any delay to an election unless there is a National Disaster (like war) past the time limit.

A postponement can occur within the time frames (eg they could delay from 2nd to 5th of Feb) but it cannot go past the time limit (in this case Feb 6th) as that would be a breach of the Constitution.

The Constitution Court clarified that the election can be postponed, but only in certain circumstances as stated in the Constitution. They failed to give any guidance on whether the current situation warrants a postponement. (Guess why ???)

Therefore it would be illegal and break the Constitution for there to be any delay of the election past Feb 6th.

The CC had the chance to offer guidance which could have led to a postponement, however they declined to give guidance saying only it could be delayed under certain circumstances like a National Emergency, and did not give any more information.

So the election has to go ahead else on Feb 7th I am quite sure the PDRC and Democrat Party would be filing charges in the CC against Yingluck for not holding an election within the maximum time allowed from dissolution as stated in the Constitution.

All in my opinion of course.

Hang on have you and all you buddies now not been saying if you take away people rights

then you deserve what you get as your asking for it

How does that not apply to the Red shirts

Yes and then the next day took it back saying she was only thinking about it

I think you are perhaps getting sucked into the spin stories of the very biased elements of the Thai media.

Most of these "thinking about this or that" stores or "phone from Dubai" all come from a certain person called "source" and of course this source is not named, and comes up with all sorts of wild stories, which as they come from an unnamed source can be total fantasy as much as anything else.

I suggest you only believe media reports where people, with their real names, are quoted as saying something.

Any article where it says "source", in Thailand is, in my opinion, often 9 times out of 10 lies and just propaganda.

In my opinion all of that, of course.

• Like 1

why does the law say we must wear seat belts

why does the law forbid us to drive while drinking

the answer is easy

some people do not have the brains to make the correct choice, and their decisions can kill them or other innocents

So the protestors are demanding time to educate the Thai People before they make a mistake that can cost the country dearly

In you world everyone should be allowed to drive even when drunk, this is their right and personal decision

It doesn't matter what YS says or whether anyone in her party agrees or not. It's Mr. T who calls the shots.

They don't want the election changed as the amnesty bill can be enacted in May absolving all politicians of their misdeeds. Nothing else matters to the man in Dubai. Not even other people's lives.

Again Again Again

Do some of you guys never read over Posts

Every one wants an election, even the protestors

They just want it to be after the 180 days that allows Tasking to get his GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD

But I guess that does not suit you, stir up the Thais must be your ambition

But Mr. T. has told his sister you must hold out until I get my freedom, no matter what

Hmmm....I think we are in agreement. 100% agree with you.

• Like 2

She cannot.

The Thai Constitution does not allow for any delay to an election unless there is a National Disaster (like war) past the time limit.

A postponement can occur within the time frames (eg they could delay from 2nd to 5th of Feb) but it cannot go past the time limit (in this case Feb 6th) as that would be a breach of the Constitution.

The Constitution Court clarified that the election can be postponed, but only in certain circumstances as stated in the Constitution. They failed to give any guidance on whether the current situation warrants a postponement. (Guess why ???)

Therefore it would be illegal and break the Constitution for there to be any delay of the election past Feb 6th.

The CC had the chance to offer guidance which could have led to a postponement, however they declined to give guidance saying only it could be delayed under certain circumstances like a National Emergency, and did not give any more information.

So the election has to go ahead else on Feb 7th I am quite sure the PDRC and Democrat Party would be filing charges in the CC against Yingluck for not holding an election within the maximum time allowed from dissolution as stated in the Constitution.

Please tell me if this decision meant that harm can be done to your personal family if the government get the right to do what they want

Would you still have the same opinion

I await your answer

The SMH must have screwed that one up.

I mean in tomorrow's meeting.

EC says 6 month delay and they settle on 2-3

That didn't justify the burning down of buildings. And the protesters had the chance to leave peacefully had they chosen to do so. In fact it was Thaksin himself who ordered the protests to continue rather than accept what was a deal to call elections six months later.

Get back on topic and the present day, this blame culture on vilifying people in the present based on the past is IRRELEVENT to the present.

The mob protesting are displaying violence and abusing peoples rights to vote, time to clear them away and use whatever force becomes necessary. The rule of law must be upheld and if that means by force now then so be it. There is not one other nation this would have been allowed to happen to this level.

Enough is enough the protesters stepped way over the line by using violence and intimidation to blockade people legal and human right to vote... clear them out they are now nothing more than terrorists and can claim no moral high ground any longer. Minimum force as is needed but force nevertheless as they will not go voluntarily and some form order must be maintained to stop the place sliding into total anarchy.

She cannot.

You must have read a different report to me.

The CC says the the EC and CG can set a new date

why does the law say we must wear seat belts

why does the law forbid us to drive while drinking

the answer is easy

some people do not have the brains to make the correct choice, and their decisions can kill them or other innocents

So the protestors are demanding time to educate the Thai People before they make a mistake that can cost the country dearly

In you world everyone should be allowed to drive even when drunk, this is their right and personal decision

very very bad analogy.

Considering that Thai's are the worst drivers around, and we see that weatlh and brains is no guarantee that anyone can drive.

I tell you what, if some snotty pooyai told me that I needed time to be educated, I would tell him to buggar off, before I taught him a lesson