vdsl modems for trueonline

indothai

• 2 months later...

I'm Having Issues with MY True Mobile VDSL..it frequently loses connection despite the speed test showing a 25MB /5 MB Download/Upload Speed. Could ths be the function of the XY Xel Modem they provided? I'm thinking to purchase a new router to solve this issue...Any suggestions?

Could ths be the function of the XY Xel Modem they provided?

Possibly, or it could be the port/port card/shelf in the basement of your condo. The modem in your home would need to be matched (proven to inter-operate successfully) with the modem in the VDSL shelf, and configured. Maybe best to contact True Online directly?

• Like 1

Thanks lamatopo, I did contact True this morning and they will send out tech. person. I did not have this problem with 3bb dsl in CNX or Samui but had lower speeds. Hopefully this will work out...correction: This WILL somehow work out! :)

ADSL, which is what 3BB used to deliver your service in Chiang Mai and Koh Samui, is much more standardized and interoperability between modems and serving equipment is rarely an issue these days.

The VDSL, which I didn't even realize True Online was still using after having experimented with it back in 2010 in a few buildings, in much less standardized, and has been more or less supplanted with FTTx and DOCSIS.

Your issue could be related to cabling as well, so make sure they verify the integrity of that or try another pair, in addition to replacing the modem and/or shelf card.

• Like 1

I recently had a problem with my vDSL connection and I was able to narrow it down to my router. In short, True came out and replaced the router for free.

The long story:

The first vDSL modem operated smoothly for about 1 year, then it started to reboot randomly. I only found out that it rebooted by going into the modem and looking at the timestamp (time).

It took a while for me to get a replacement, as True didn't believe that it was the modem, and the technician was too lazy to come to my place to do a proper diagnostics. So, after being delayed and submitting a formal complaint to True, the technician came over and did the diagnostics. The problem didn't occur until I unplugged the power and plugged it back in. At which point, the router just went on a reboot cycle and never came back. So the technician replaced it with another, newer ZyXEL model.

I did ask the technician if I could just go out and buy my own vDSL modem, he advised NOT to do it as it may not be compatible with True's vDSL settings. He also commented that most vDSL modems are very expensive anyways.... why not just use the free one from True.

So, unless you can borrow a vDSL modem first to see if it can work with True's vDSL settings, it's not advisable to buy one on your own.

• Like 1