29 year old us guy,how can i live in thailand indefinitely on visa?

Register a Thai company, get a WP with an income of 50.000 THB a month and you can get an extension of stay for 1 year (you can reniew it every year). It will cost you about 6.000 B a month (SS, personal income taxes, accountant fee, etc.) plus 15.000 a year to close the balance. Plus of course the fee to register the company and get the WP and proper Visa. Talk to an accountant and they will explain to you how it works in details. This is a very simple way to stay here and many people do it in this way.

If you are interested, send me a PM, I have a Company for sale that could make you save some money...

Doesn't the Thai company have to employ minimum of 4 Thai nationals, pay them minimum salary and cover their social security contributions?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy way is marry a Thai girl.

I don't agree that marrying a Thai girl is an easy way. From my experience, it's a pain in the arse. Not being married

mind you, just the visa part. Recent problems with sham marriages by low-lifes and criminals have made it even more difficult.

The last time we were in immigration, five retirees blew through there before we were finished. Even the immigration officer said

that marriage visas were going to become more difficult to obtain due to requirements for lot more verification and evidence. He also said though, that as long as we were totally above board and passed the vetting process, things should get easier.

Edited by The Usual Suspect

Since you do not want to get married, you cannot live here indefinitely. Sorry. Those are the rules. It's pretty cut and dry.

There are really only two ways to live here indefinitely. Marriage or being over the age of 50. You can't do educational visas for 21 years.

Once you accept this, you can move to the next question....

What's the best way to stay in Thailand for as long as legally possible whilst spending the lowest amount of money?

The answer to that is travel around SE Asia, multi-entry visas, and visa exemption stamps.

EDIT : Yes I understand there are other options with companies, investments, etc, but does OP seem like he is looking for that? No.

Edited by IsaanUSA

I'm here on an education visa, it's good for something like 12 years as long as I keep going to school.

Another way to stay here is find a job or volunteer.

How does being a "volunteer" enable someone to stay here indefinitely?

I spend $2,000 a month or more for a fairly comfortable life. But any extras are on top of that - clothes, holidays, medical expenses, etc, etc, etc. Also plenty to pay for. I for one couldn't live on $1,300 for the rest of my life. For a year I could hack it if I had to, but not for longer. You're only 29, so why do you want to stay so long on so little money? What's the attraction?

Also, will the $1,300 you get rise each year in line with inflation? If not, it will become worthless pretty quickly. And how will you handle any real emergencies if that's all you have? Just wondering if you've thought this through properly. And will you be putting money aside for pension? If not, what will you do when you're really old?

at the moment 1300 is the minimum ill be taking..ill explore the avenues of volunteering or getting a job possibly teaching English but I don't have the kind of money to open a business... from others readings i had assumed 1300 might get a pretty comfortable lifestyle and after doing cost of living comparisons found the islands are pretty compareable to living on mainland..maybe i was wrong..

the reason I want to move is from all my understanding its affordable paradise..much nicer than my current situation in the rural south in united states

Edited by jaytaylor84

There are some islands just down from Ranong which are very basic but cheap as hell. Not been there but know a few people sho spend months on end just chillin' and come over to Samui every so often to party. Cheap for visa runs (border bounces) as Burma is just over the way.

aladdin_dive_safari_koh_chang_ranong_01.

Edited by notmyself

B. Investment of no less than Baht 10 million:

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

What that means? What specific visa type the pre-requisite one would be ? Edited by paz

The alien:

What that means? What specific visa type the pre-requisite one would be ?

With all due respect, unless you have 10m Baht you could potentially lose then don't even think about it. May as well go for the Thai Elite card.

Cardholders will be eligible for a five-year Multiple Entry Visa to Thailand and a one-year stay privilege per visit.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/643383-thailand-elite-card-to-be-relaunched-in-june/

The alien:

What that means? What specific visa type the pre-requisite one would be ?

It means non immigrant visa. That is the same wording they use for many types of extensions.

If you bring the money into the country and go to immigration in Bangkok the will do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry from a exempt entry or tourist visa with proof you have it in a Thai bank (government owned bank if you want to buy a condo).

• Like 1

1300 month usd

42692 Baht at yesterday's rate.

Insurance is an issue but you will be used to that being American. 5k a month will get you dam good insurance in Thailand. Shack on a beach on a out of the way island will be 3k max but let's say 5k. 10k a month put aside for pension/ old age leaves you with 22692 at present exchange rate. With no aircon and shack on the beach you are looking at 1000 Baht maximum for power per month with government (PEA) billing though generally that kind of housing is bill free. Phone (internet) access I have no idea of but I'm sure a member will advise on this. Not overly cheap but doesn't cost the world either so let's say 1k. Down to 20692k now... My food bill per month is around 3k but I almost exclusively cook at home (included in the power bill) but I do go out so say 5k. Various boats etc. and a coffee here and such like let's add another 5k.

Left with 10k wasting money which is which I spend per month and I live on Samui... way more expensive. This issue often comes up with accusations of cheap Charlie but these members often suddenly go AWOL and never post again. If you want to go hard, eat at fancy restaurants so you don't have to cook yourself, have a different lady every night or even every other night then US$1300 is not going to cut it. If you want to chill out on some island then it truly is, a piece of piss as we say in the UK.

As I say, this issue comes up all the time and when I hear that someone cannot possibly live for less than 60k a month I fully know that unless they have kids then they are not spending money, they are blowing money. Fine for some but they gotta keep adding to the ever decreasing pile to make up for it. F*** 'em.. When people are amazed that I was able to retire at 39 (46 now) I just say it was because I was not an idiot. The same system I used to make it I use in spending it.

Oh oh, I have a nice condo in a high rise Bangkok close to the BTS. When I hear those words or something similar, I generally walk away.

• Like 2

Are there really no expats on this forum who have lived in Southeast Asia all their lives by having a skill which offers them employment with good salary and benefits?

No, since by definition as an expat you have lived in your home country.

• Like 1

isn't there caps on all the visas so that one cant stay "indefinitely" in country? I was planning on using education visas until I meet the criteria for retirement visa..

retirement visa is not given until you reach 50,so your 29,that's 21 years on an ed visa,i don,t think that's gonna work.

It means non immigrant visa. That is the same wording they use for many types of extensions.

If you bring the money into the country and go to immigration in Bangkok the will do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry from a exempt entry or tourist visa with proof you have it in a Thai bank (government owned bank if you want to buy a condo).

So, tourist visa is a non-immigrant visa ? As well as visa exempt, at least for the purpose of these regulations ?

Edited by paz