North Korea threatens nuclear war in response to joint US-South Korea drills

webfact

North Korea threatens nuclear war in response to joint US-South Korea drills

SEOUL: -- North Korea is threatening nuclear war in response to the scheduled joint military maneuvers between the US and South Korea. North Korea's increasing opposition to the annual joint drills (“Foal Eagle”) looks very similar to the reaction that preceded the start of the same exercises last year which led to a new stalemate on the Korean peninsula.

It appears the first signals of this year's political battle have already begun to appear, though some experts say they don't suppose those will be as dangerous as last year's.
This year's drills, in which troops will train on land, sea and in the air, are expected to last until about April.
Yoo Ho-yeol, a professor of North Korea studies at Korea University in South Korea, said he doesn't expect as much tension as last year.

"North Korea is maintaining its nuclear weapons program but hasn't launched any fresh provocation, so this year's drills would be more like the routine ones they conducted in previous years," he said.

North Korean representatives said through the state-run media that the United States is building up its military forces in Asia in order to invade their country and gain control of the whole region.

The “attacks” on the exercises started earlier this month, when North Korea's powerful National Defense Commission proposed that the rivals should withhold military actions and "mutual vilification" to maintain better relations. The North, however, emphasized it would continue its nuclear weapons program while urging South Korea to suspend the drills with the United States, scheduled for late February.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_01_30/North-Korea-threatens-nuclear-war-in-response-to-joint-US-South-Korea-drills-0314/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2014-01-30

24 Jan: Calls for reconciliation with South

30 Jan: Threatens nuclear war with South

I get the distinct feeling that neither of this guy's oars are in the water....

Which is kinda worrying, as the little man may just be loonie enough to do it

• Like 2

NK maintaining its carefully structured policy of presenting itself as crazy, dangerous yet weak. This policy has achieved its goal of maintaining the regime intact whilst being able to manipulate foreign powers for several decades.

Is that right?

Can you please explain to us exactly how they have managed to manipulate foreign powers for several decades?

You mean they have managed to be constantly under the imposition of sanctions on an almost permanent basis while their people are starving to death, when they are not too busy being executed that is.

Last year the tension was the highest it has been for over 20 years, and in which way did they manage to manipulate it?

Because as far as I can remeber, they got no sanctions lifted, they got only threats from their enemies and a shitload more weapons deployed to point at them.

Methinks you are very misguided.

Last year the tension was the highest it has been for over 20 years, and in which way did they manage to manipulate it?

Well, I was living there '93~'96, and I clearly remember "We will turn Seoul into a sea of fire!" Now that was tension - incredible number of foreigners just bailed, leaving jobs and money behind, taking one way flights out.

Definitely last year was well below that earlier tension.

Wasn't there a spoof article last year where he was voted one of the "sexiest men alive" and him and the media there believed it?

ok found it

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-named-the-onions-sexiest-man-alive-for,30379/

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/27/world/asia/north-korea-china-onion/

He sounds a bit nuts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/10272953/Kim-Jong-uns-ex-lover-executed-by-firing-squad.html

Edited by scotinsiam

Well, I was living there '93~'96, and I clearly remember "We will turn Seoul into a sea of fire!" Now that was tension - incredible number of foreigners just bailed, leaving jobs and money behind, taking one way flights out.

Sounds as if short fat boy with little arms and funny haircut has been drinking and listing to Johnny Cash.

I fell into a burning ring of fire

I went down, down, down and the flames went higher

And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire

The ring of fire

Wasn't there a spoof article last year where he was voted one of the "sexiest men alive" and him and the media there believed it?

. . . and an article where he shot a 34 in a round of 18 holes on a full length golf course. Funny boy had 17 witnesses for his 11 aces, all who were fed to the dogs later after signing off on his scorecard as witnesses of his amazing feat.

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/alltime_golf_scoring_record_goes_with_death_of_kim_jong_il

NK maintaining its carefully structured policy of presenting itself as crazy, dangerous yet weak. This policy has achieved its goal of maintaining the regime intact whilst being able to manipulate foreign powers for several decades.

Is that right?

Can you please explain to us exactly how they have managed to manipulate foreign powers for several decades?

You mean they have managed to be constantly under the imposition of sanctions on an almost permanent basis while their people are starving to death, when they are not too busy being executed that is.

Because as far as I can remeber, they got no sanctions lifted, they got only threats from their enemies and a shitload more weapons deployed to point at them.

Yes, that is right. Briggsy knows what he is talking about.

Hmmmm.......

Well I would say that anyone following last year would have clearly copped the 'sea of fire' speeches and threats, but this time with mocked up video of the white house being nuked.

Then there were the movements of the missile launchers around the areas where the US know the nukes are being held.

Finally '93 WAS 20 years ago....... so what is your point?

Is that right?

The unshakeable goal of the regime is survival with total power of the population. They have achieved this continuously since 1946. This is an unprecedented length of time for a tyrannical dictatorship to survive in the modern era and all the time not having to hide in caves but the people at the top of the regime have complete power of life and death, sexual exploitation, arbitrary detention, etc. over the whole of the populus whilst enjoying luxury goods from all over the world.

The manipulation involves playing South Korea, Japan, China, Russia and US against each other so at any given time North Korea has been receiving huge amounts of aid from one or all of them. You also need to remember by taunting US-led allies, it manipulates other states such as Iran and Cuba into assisting it.

The policy of crazy, dangerous yet weak means that NK maintains an aura of total unpredictability (crazy) whilst posing a real small-scale threat (dangerous) but has nothing to lose and is not worth obliterating and is no threat to China and would be an economic disaster to merge with SK (weak). This policy of crazy, dangerous yet weak has kept the Kim dynasty in power for 68 years or 3 generations, exceptional for a regime that managed to starve a significant proportion of its own people to death.

wellwell,

Perhaps you could share your analysis.

• Like 2

That all sounds a bit too clever for that lot; more a case of them just being (inbred) nuts IMO. They should just be ignored and hopefully their own people will see the light and rise up, soldiers included.

• Like 1

That all sounds a bit too clever for that lot; more a case of them just being (inbred) nuts IMO. They should just be ignored and hopefully their own people will see the light and rise up, soldiers included.

Thanks for the analysis, I will add to my NK archive.

I know when it does all end, the people are going to be in need of some serious de briefings on what the worlds been upto in the past 60 odd years.

Probably need a few million social workers and a lot of psychiatrists couches too.

Edited by englishoak