HIV Prevention Forgotten, 'now Verging On Crisis'

george

HIV prevention forgotten, 'now verging on crisis'

Migrants' infection rates a key concern; PM has done nothing, Mechai complains

Thailand's HIV/Aids prevention programme has gone into hibernation and the general population is paying for it, experts on the disease and its spread said yesterday.

Describing the situation as a crisis, they warned that migrant workers were helping to spread the disease faster.

HIV prevention and family-planning pioneer Mechai Viravaidya said more...

Mechai did such great work early in the AIDS crisis in Thailand ... everything from the billboards at the exits of every military base saying use a condom every time ... to the whole Cabbages and Condoms program

Before AIDS raised its ugly head, we enjoyed free sex....well at least I did. :o

Multiple partners, multiple one night stands. :D:D:D (Three huge grins for that.)

Then along came AIDS together with a lot of publicity and advice against unprotected sex.

For the sake of living to a healthy old age, I settled my wandering ways, found a permanent girlfriend and so far have lived happily ever after.

If you choose a scrubber, wear a rubber. If you're rootin' bums, wear condums. (sorry, condoms doesn't rhyme.) If you try all you can get, it's Russian roulette.

Before AIDS raised its ugly head, we enjoyed free sex....well at least I did. :o

Multiple partners, multiple one night stands. :D:D:D (Three huge grins for that.)

Then along came AIDS together with a lot of publicity and advice against unprotected sex.

For the sake of living to a healthy old age, I settled my wandering ways, found a permanent girlfriend and so far have lived happily ever after.

If you choose a scrubber, wear a rubber. If you're rootin' bums, wear condums. (sorry, condoms doesn't rhyme.) If you try all you can get, it's Russian roulette.

Agreed, the HIV virus is well known by all, what its effects are and prevention techniques. Why would you bother to put yourself and ultimately others by not adhering to safe sex practices. We ain't bullet proof neither are we disease proof.

To hear someone crying for the need to do something is someone crying for money of which some will end up in their pockets for some program that they'll of course run.

Cynical, you betcha

Actually Thaksin has done a lot for the HIV problem. He put pressure on closing a the night venues earlier and earlier. This forced the people looking for sexual activity to find someone on the street who is not required, and probably does not check if they are HIV positive. Thus leaving the venues who do require their employees to check heading home early.

So saying he did nothing for the HIV situation is completely wrong.