Swift Action Needed To Curb March Of Invasive Species

george

Swift action needed to curb march of invasive species

Intensive study of "invasive alien species" - plants and animals that invade new habitats, often damaging delicate ecosystems and destroying original varieties - is needed to ensure they do not spread further, according to biologists.

Speaking at a biodiversity seminar yesterday, Dokrak Marod of Kasetsart University said although Thai biologists and ecologists have been concerned about alien species for almost a decade, nobody truly understands their nature or the affect on the environment in Thailand.

Alien species, which can invade new habitats intentionally or unintentionally, tend to dominate the new ecosystem once successfully established.

Their threat to biodiversity is considered second ...more ...

I'd be more worried about the indigenous species that are disappearing at an alarmig rate with all these construction projects going on. We had white cranes around the village before, rice fields and a beautiful pond now used as a garbage dumpat night. I doubt the cranes will adapt to the concrete, appartments and plastic bags.

Edited by penzman

They are probably referring to things like the nutria scam, import giant rats (nutria) from S America then when they can't make any money off of them they release them into the ecosystem.

The problem is that they have no way of preventing the invasion of the foreign species. They do not check the luggage at border crossings, they cannot prevent introduction via wild life who do not understand border crossings.

This is why Australia is paranoid about importing anything. Prior to the white invasion there were no cats, foxes, starlings, cane toads plus a host of marine and plant species. The introduced species alter the local balance by dislodging the native species from their sometimes precarious niche in the ecosystem.

Another way of introducing species is moving one from one part of the country to another to give visitors an iconic experience of the country. An example of this was the introduction of Kookaburras to Western Australia from across the natural barrier of the deserts. They were let loose in Kings Park in about 1930 now they are all over the state and are a threat to small creatures and BBQ's. As their nature is to swoop on their food the bolder ones will take a sausage out of you hand or off the BBQ. :o

they cannot prevent introduction via wild life who do not understand border crossings.

Any wildlife that comes across the border would either 1) be indigenous to the area or 2) be just as invasive in the neighboring country.

The example I gave, nutria, were imported into the country legally by taiwanese businessmen offering poor farmers a quick income boost:

See this BBC article from 1998 for more information.

Plant invaders are often spread by the birds that eat the seeds. The sunflower mentioned in the O/P can be spread by native birds. Exotic garden plants attract some of the passing birds and the seed is spread, insects and repiles to a lesser extent also spread seeds.

Pets that escape or are let loose are also threat to native animals. Gold fish that have been released (freed?) in rivers grow to respectable sizes and dislodge the native species. The Swan and Canning rivers in Perth have this problem, rivers in most of Australia have problems with carp that have dominated the local ecosytem.

The starling was introduced to Au by birds hitching a ride on boats from asia.

I know these are very Australia centric examples but they are examples I can quote readily and can support my claims with evidence if asked. I am sure there are similar examples in every country (look how bird flu is spread). My point is that it is more difficult for countries with land borders to prevent the invading species.

The authorities need to accept that there will introduced species and work on how to reduce the harm caused by them.

The problem is that they have no way of preventing the invasion of the foreign species. They do not check the luggage at border crossings, they cannot prevent introduction via wild life who do not understand border crossings.

I don't think I have ever seen the Argicultural Products desk at Don Muang Arrivals manned.

I vaguely remember a declaration card at one time, but it do not last long................

There is little, if any, environmental awareness in Thailand,

as Penzman mentions. Nevermind what comes from outside. :o

This is why Australia is paranoid about importing anything. Prior to the white invasion there were no cats, foxes, starlings, cane toads plus a host of marine and plant species. The introduced species alter the local balance by dislodging the native species from their sometimes precarious niche in the ecosystem.

Not to mention - those cute bunny-wabbits in Oz.

Or grey-squirrels displacing the red ones in the UK. :o