Time for a new sticky tire

mania

Well I cannot complain much as the Pirelli Rosso II

Gave me a good ride of a bit over 7000 km

so no complaints. Also the 250 runs smaller tires so prices are not bad really

Front is still got life yet but if I changed brands I would change both

If I stay with the Rosso just the rear this time.

Just thought I would ask

anyone here been running the Battlax BT-003's here ?

I think it is available in BK & was curious

Also I know Dunlop GPR200 & maybe that Alpha 13? is available at Jab Moto in BK too

But I dont know any of those & was just curious if other were running them

I will most likely stick with what I know & the Rosso's as they never disappointed me.

But would like to hear if anyone else is running any of these others & what they think

along with what kind of mileage they are getting out of them on the road.

Is this for the CBR or the Ninja 250? I don't think BT003 come in the right size - smallest is 150. Plus the speed ratio for the tyre is W whilst the the Rosso is H - you might not get the BT003s up to a good enough working temperature.

I run the Rossos on my 250 and have used them on bigger bikes too - great tyre and always confident in the corners. Not saying the BT003s are no good, they are a great tyre too, but not for smaller CC bikes.

Not tried the Dunlops, but the GPR200 is cross-ply, not radial - I think radials are a better tyre.

• Like 1

Don't know about smaller sizes, but I have Rosso II's on my Versys here, OK and much better than stock. On my VFR 800 in UK I run Battle-axes and love 'em much more..real grip and feel stuck to the road.

Whether its the bikes or roads or what, got to go by the seat of the pants feeling in the end...next tyre change here it will be the Bridgestones.

• Like 1

Is this for the CBR or the Ninja 250? I don't think BT003 come in the right size - smallest is 150.

Yes N250

Did not know 150 was their smallest.

Although I know many run a 150 on the 2013 & newer Ninja

I am not a fan of increased tire width on this bike.

Good to know & thanks to the heads up.

Like I said I also like the Rosso & have a good time on them.

Edit: oops I see they do have a 140?

Quite a few sites showing them when I googled

http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BATTLAX-BT-003-Racing-Motorcycle/dp/B005J8X0UK

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bridgestone-battlax-bt-003-rs-rear-tires

Edited by mania

If it's normal for you to wear out your rear tire long before your front tire, you are using your rear wheel for too much of your braking. You are supposed to get at least 60% of your braking from your front tire. When you do that, there will be weight transfer onto the front tire and it will have much more traction than the rear. My front and rear tires wear out at about the same time. You will get a lot more mileage out of your tires if you use the front brake more instead of skidding your rear tire, even though you won't notice that the rear tire is skidding some.

You can also stop much faster using the front tire.

As for sticky tires, they have to be softer. That means they have less carbon black in them. While nice for traction they will wear out faster. Up to you.

I had 2 pairs of diablo rosso corsa 2s before on my Monster S4 and was generally happy but the rear end felt vague sometimes but this time went for Michelin PR3 and must say they are really excellent ,, more feel and grip and better turn in .

on my other ducatis aM750 and 750SS in UK I went for Dunlop Q2 this time and they are also good could not get them in Thailand so plumped for the PR3 ,, also like Metzler M5 and M8 and Dunlop roadsmarts

I have not had good results from Bridgestones at all .

• Like 1

After I had Rossos I tried Bridgestone S20 and was pretty happy with them, thought the feedback was better also they should be longer lasting

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

go for rosso2 again mania.

first of all, it will be cheaper as all you need to get is rear.

besides, you ride with these tires for some time so you know how they behave on the road.

also they are good tires. i am also using a set of rosso2s and after stock, they are miracle.

i made 7000 km with them and they have enough tread for another 4000 km which is enough longevity for me for sticky sport tires.

• Like 1

go for rosso2 again mania.

first of all, it will be cheaper as all you need to get is rear.

besides, you ride with these tires for some time so you know how they behave on the road.

also they are good tires. i am also using a set of rosso2s and after stock, they are miracle.

i made 7000 km with them and they have enough tread for another 4000 km which is enough longevity for me for sticky sport tires.

Yes I am probably going to go that route LL for the reasons you mention.

I was just curious what others were using too.

Seems that S-20 is also popular here although I do not think it comes in 140

with 150 being their smallest. Which is also fine & many do run 150+ but I am partial to

the characteristics of the 140 for my riding & like it being that bit lighter too.

Are you saying you did 7000k already on your Rosso II rear & may get 4k more?

If so with all your track days that is very good mileage you got out of them.

Mine at a bit over 7000k are nearing their end especially on the shoulders where the wear indicator

is just about flush with the top now.

They have just the slight slipping now when hauled over but still planted for the most part.

I am just getting ready to change soon. Think I will also get a chain as I am tired of trying to get a non-removable chain like

the stock one clean :)

If I have a master link I will pull the whole thing from time to time & clean it as I always did in

home country. Life is not easy here maintenance wise in a condo :)

I had 2 pairs of diablo rosso corsa 2s before on my Monster S4 and was generally happy but the rear end felt vague sometimes but this time went for Michelin PR3 and must say they are really excellent ,, more feel and grip and better turn in .

on my other ducatis aM750 and 750SS in UK I went for Dunlop Q2 this time and they are also good could not get them in Thailand so plumped for the PR3 ,, also like Metzler M5 and M8 and Dunlop roadsmarts

I have not had good results from Bridgestones at all .

Cheers for that info, liddlelljohn, Roadsmarts are getting good reviews back home and are fitted as stock on some new Triumph's if memory serves. Will try the PR3's next time then, (might be a while!) as its always good to find the ones that suit best. Must say the Rosso II's do kick out sometimes on my way round the Khao Kho roads, bit unexpected but no biggie.

If it's normal for you to wear out your rear tire long before your front tire, you are using your rear wheel for too much of your braking. You are supposed to get at least 60% of your braking from your front tire. When you do that, there will be weight transfer onto the front tire and it will have much more traction than the rear. My front and rear tires wear out at about the same time. You will get a lot more mileage out of your tires if you use the front brake more instead of skidding your rear tire, even though you won't notice that the rear tire is skidding some.

You can also stop much faster using the front tire.

As for sticky tires, they have to be softer. That means they have less carbon black in them. While nice for traction they will wear out faster. Up to you.

Man your so lost

I would say you need some professional motorcycle instruction.

I normally find that i use 2 rears for every front i replace

Then it would help in many ways if you'd use more of your front brake for stopping. As shown in the video above, it's really easy to just skid the rear tire, while taking a lot more distance to stop.

I not only wear out both tires at about the same time, but I get more mileage out of them too from lack of sliding. I get about 15,000 miles (24,000 kms) from a set of tires on a Harley. I know a lot of guys who get only 5,000 miles from the rear tire.

IRC IZ003

Im about to change the rear also, im at 7k 8k...it can make it too 10k....but rear isnt as velcro like as before...front is doing fine,.

I got 2 plugs in the rear as well. They are awesome i say give them a shot.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

Then it would help in many ways if you'd use more of your front brake for stopping. As shown in the video above, it's really easy to just skid the rear tire, while taking a lot more distance to stop.

I not only wear out both tires at about the same time, but I get more mileage out of them too from lack of sliding. I get about 15,000 miles (24,000 kms) from a set of tires on a Harley. I know a lot of guys who get only 5,000 miles from the rear tire.

nonsense, i wonder where did you get your MSF certificate and who gave you that.

it is not braking majorly eating the tires, it is mostly acceleration or riding style. A rider might like to ride his/her bike in an aggressive way which results on more lost rubber.

that is why for example liter bikes eat more rubber.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

IRC IZ003

Im about to change the rear also, im at 7k 8k...it can make it too 10k....but rear isnt as velcro like as before...front is doing fine,.

I have heard some Thai guys speak well of those tires.

I am leary though with any company that can produce such a terrible tire like those IRC road Winners smile.png

Well I shouldn't say that & truth is those roadwinner tires are probably great high mileage commuter tires as they come stock on a few bikes.

Thinking I will just stick with Pirelli Rosso II as they never did me wrong.

Thanks though

Edited by mania

i use front brake to slow bike at 80% force in straight lines rear is for stabilty and wet weather use when it becomes more important , the ducatis lay down a lot of power onto the rear tyre and front ends tend to be light , having ridden bikes for 41 years and more than 50 different machine I still believe the 2-1 ratio holds in my experience ,

• Like 1

I don't think anybody here disagrees that most of your stopping power will come from the front. I almost never ever use my rear brakes, except when in heavy city traffic and yet my rear wears off faster. This is due to the fact that acceleration comes from the rear tire, which is the main reason why the rear wears off quicker than the front.

p/s: a lot of the guys on this forum ride big bikes / sports bikes. If they did not know how to brake properly, I doubt they would still be posting on this forum.

• Like 2

IRC IZ003

I have heard some Thai guys speak well of those tires.

I am leary though with any company that can produce such a terrible tire like those IRC road Winners smile.png

Well I shouldn't say that & truth is those roadwinner tires are probably great high mileage commuter tires as they come stock on a few bikes.

Thinking I will just stick with Pirelli Rosso II as they never did me wrong.

Thanks though

I wouldnt blame IRC for that, id blame Honda and kawasaki for specifying a tire that would cut cost to be mounted on those bikes.

IZ003 is much better than the Rosso 2, and was specifically designed for 250cc use.

But yes, if i didnt pull the trigger and give them a shot, id be scared off by the IRC brand also...but im glad i did ! :)

Not that I want to feed the rear brake troll instructor

who has a wealth of no idea regarding sport/performance tires

but I use my rear brake accordingly

When darting/sport riding from corner to corner

I do my braking before the corner to bleed off quick what I dont want to carry

thru the turn at what is probably 60/40, 70/30, even 80/20 ratio front doing the lions share of course

Then if I need to adjust mid turn due to any unforeseen change/ riders error etc. I will slightly drag the rear

not to upset the weight balance of the chassis. As I have already settled the chassis for the turn previously

by releasing brakes before entry

In an emergency straight stop I will again be at the same ratios as above but a more forceful/quicker application & will also instinctively quickly

be slightly off the seat & move my butt as far to the rear as possible to help reduce that increased forceful weight transfer loading the front