British tourists in Bangkok warned to stay indoors on election day to avoid protests

webfact

British tourists in Bangkok warned to stay indoors on election day to avoid protests
By SARAH GORDON

(Daily Mail) Tourists in Bangkok are being advised to stay in their hotels when Thailand goes to the polls on February 2, due to the possibility of violence.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is urging Britons to take extra care on Sunday and avoid all protests as Thailand holds its national elections, following three months of demonstrations.

The FCO has updated its advice following further violence when polling stations opened on January 26 for advanced voting.

It warns: 'On 2 February there are likely to be protests at polling locations and some of these could turn violent. Be alert to the situation, avoid all protests, and if you’re in any doubt about your safety on 2 February, stay in your accommodation.'

The Thai government declared a 60-day State of Emergency in Bangkok on January 21, due to the escalation of protests since they first began in November last year.

Anti-government protests started in November when the government tried to force through a political amnesty bill that would have let former premier Thaksin Shinawatra - brother of current caretaker prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra - return from a self-imposed exile without serving jail time for corruption.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2549319/British-tourists-Bangkok-warned-stay-indoors-election-day-avoid-protests.html

-- Daily Mail 2014-02-01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

British nationals in Bangkok cautioned on election day
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Britain has warned its citizens in Bangkok to stay in doors when Thailand goes to the polls on Sunday, due to possibility of violence.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has urged Britons to take extra care on Sunday and avoid all protests as Thailand holds its national elections, following three months of demonstrations.

The FCO has updated its advice following further violence when polling stations opened on January 26 for advanced voting.

It warns "On 2 February there are likely to be protests at polling locations and some of these could turn violent. Be alert to the situation, avoid all protests, and if you're in any doubt about your safety on 2 February, stay in your accommodation."

The Thai government declared a 60-day State of Emergency in Bangkok on January 21, due to the escalation of protests since they first began in November last year.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-01

TAT announcement ----Welcome to the land of smiles--for 2 days we have special fun, to save you exposing yourself to harmful rays we will have a sun free day or 2. stay indoors and consume as much alcohol as you wish, because your only a guest and if you venture outside there are no alcohol purchases. But if you enjoy the active side on holiday you are welcome to mingle and exchange blows near any poll station.

Please , when you return to your homeland spread the news.

for the last few months the great majority of tourists go strait from bkk to don muang, train and bus stations.

as not a tourist I'm going tomorrow to the polling station to record on my camera everything what;s happening there, just if any evidence for the courts is needed. I will use an application on my smartphone used for recording road accidents - if nothing happens the older film is re-recorded, ad finitum

Edited by londonthai

for the last few months the great majority of tourists go strait from bkk to don muang, train and bus stations.

as not a tourist I'm going tomorrow to the polling station to record on my camera everything what;s happening there, just if any evidence for the courts is needed. I will use an application on my smartphone used for recording accidents online - if nothing happens the older film is re-recorded

Don't forget to take a whistle and a red shirt to blend in ... just in case it turns nasty. Oh, and they're having a picnic, so remember to pack some sandwiches too.

Whilst it probably shouldn't, this election will be invalidated during the coming weeks and months. It will turn out to have been a big waste of time and money.

• Like 1

as not a tourist I'm going tomorrow to the polling station to record on my camera everything what;s happening there, just if any evidence for the courts is needed. I will use an application on my smartphone used for recording road accidents - if nothing happens the older film is re-recorded, ad finitum

You are either very brave or foolish. This is not a dress rehearsal

• Like 1

I vote foolish.

I vote nosy non essential busybody

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

....and this shaky bit is when both sides objected to my filming.

I vote foolish.

I vote nosy non essential busybody

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Alright, I'll take the bait:

<deleted> does "nosy non essential busybody" even mean?

Thanks very much for chiming in without actually adding anything to the conversation.

Oh wait, now I understand what a nosy, non-essential busybody is.

I see what you did there.

Edited by BeforeTigers
  • Like 2

I suggested this a week ago.common sense not to go outside far from your accommodation Feb 2.In fact I know many thais who will stay at home.For once good advice from the FCO

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Basket case, no hope whatsoever - suggest you enrol for early notification from Pacific Center of early indication of volcanic eruptions also.

The intent is admirable but, seriously, not a good idea. I wouldn't go near a polling booth or a protest site tomorrow...and certainly not with a camera

• Like 1

Only British?

Oh, yes..only the Brits ( older, larger, slower), everyone else perfectly safe..

Yes, and remember if one is British, one must maintain the stiffness of one's upper lip under these difficult circumstances. Pip pip!

Wish I could lower the stiffness at times.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

I vote foolish.

i vote troll and an embarrasing grass...from london aswell must be south of the river...pikey..w00t.gif

• Like 2