Is Koh Matlang close to Chaweng free to explore?

Virt

Been out there a few times to take pictures on the side facing Chaweng beach, and noticed some signs in Thais but have no idea what they say, so didn't walk past those signs.

Noticed that on the east side of matlang there is some sort of a serpent shrine, that we saw when sailing down to Koh Tan.

Would like to go out there again on next vacation for more photos, but don't walk to tresspass or upset anyone, so would be nice to know if the island is free to explore or if some parts are privately owned..

Would like to get up close to this and get some better photos if it is allowed.

Thanks.

post-138525-0-00397800-1391419659_thumb.

You can see more pics from this island when I was there in July 2013 during extreme love tide, when it's possible to walk there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-15#entry6637190

May I ask exactly where that serpent shrine is?

I did not see it when I was there, so perhaps it was on the western part of the island?

I only went on the eastern part of island. Stupid me forgot to bring with me water and only had pepsi + double whopper which I ate on the island as breakfast.

(I have the habit of posting on my facebook various food that I eat on the beach as breakfast and on that particular day, I decided it was gonna be a double whopper)

Naturally I got quite thirsty after a short while and just had to hurry back to nearest kiosk to get some water....

So was unable to explore the western part. Next year I definitely will!

And I won't forget to bring enough water this time! (And NOPE, definitely not whopper again.)

post-17753-0-04335500-1391441861_thumb.j post-17753-0-91988800-1391441876_thumb.j post-17753-0-14217800-1391441902_thumb.j

Pretty sure this view is unfamiliar to most people.

You can see more pics from this island when I was there in July 2013 during extreme love tide, when it's possible to walk there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-15#entry6637190

I did not see it when I was there, so perhaps it was on the western part of the island?

I only went on the eastern part of island. Stupid me forgot to bring with me water and only had pepsi + double whopper which I ate on the island as breakfast.

(I have the habit of posting on my facebook various food that I eat on the beach as breakfast and on that particular day, I decided it was gonna be a double whopper)

Naturally I got quite thirsty after a short while and just had to hurry back to nearest kiosk to get some water....

And I won't forget to bring enough water this time! (And NOPE, definitely not whopper again.)

attachicon.gif1374457693223.jpg attachicon.gif1374457711519.jpg attachicon.gif1374457875674.jpg

You are one bad mad mole, burgers and so! laugh.pngcheesy.gif

Btw, you're sure that's goats they are protecting there with guns, not maybe something more lucrative coughcoughganjacough ?

I did look for it, but didn't see anything.

Doubt they'd be planting dem things there with the goats roaming free and all.

So, when you're driving from Chaweng -> Lamai and get to see that easternmost tip of that island, been there, done that...

attachicon.gif1374457693223.jpg attachicon.gif1374457711519.jpg attachicon.gif1374457875674.jpg

Lol that sure is something i never packed in my backpack when exploring "islands" :)

For water or coke i normally go to the little Thai place that looks a bit "used" opposite mat lang, before i head out to MatLang.

As for location of shrine.

I'm pretty sure it was on Matlang on the north eastern side, but now i'm in doubt.

Will have a look when i get home from work in a few hours, and see if i have some video footage from some of my tours, as my gps in the camera is not exact when i'm out sailing.

Are you sure you didn't bring burgers to the locals out there, so they didn't shoot you on sight ;)

Mole, Found a few clips so you maybe can get a better idea where shrine is located.

Nothing fancy, just a few raw clips, shaken and all.

If i look at your runkeeper when you went to matlang it looks like its located just north of your 6km mark in the north eastern place on matlang.

You can maybe pinpoint it in ladt clip with the locals fishing in the southern end of matlang.

26 days and counting.

Will be nice to get away from this cold climate. Outside my window the other day.

post-138525-0-01389100-1391474531_thumb.

It's familiar but I have not seen a double whopper in 6 years.

I've made this map of ko mat lang.

For the record the island is called เกาะมัดหลัง in Thai.

post-17753-0-23579100-1391495628_thumb.j

แผนที่เกาะมัดหลัง สมุย สุราษฏร์ธานี

Koh Mud Luang map

• 1 year later...

Guys I have developed an interest in the mysterious Koh Matlang, as I regularly kayak to the island three times a week for exercise. At first I used to enjoy it's main beach for rest but now I have started to explore it. I have gotten under the Serpent Shrine but as I was barefoot I chose not too adventure myself too much. However while I was there I heard people talking in an unfamiliar language, but might have been Thai. However as I looked around to find who it was, the talking stopped and not a person was seen. This got me thinking that they might be some inhabitants on the island?

Also any specific reasons this Serpent Shrine was built? as from 50 meters away it looks like a pretty big shrine. However the main structure of the snake is broken. Will keep you updated if I can get to it.

Guys I have developed an interest in the mysterious Koh Matlang, as I regularly kayak to the island three times a week for exercise. At first I used to enjoy it's main beach for rest but now I have started to explore it. I have gotten under the Serpent Shrine but as I was barefoot I chose not too adventure myself too much. However while I was there I heard people talking in an unfamiliar language, but might have been Thai. However as I looked around to find who it was, the talking stopped and not a person was seen. This got me thinking that they might be some inhabitants on the island?

Also any specific reasons this Serpent Shrine was built? as from 50 meters away it looks like a pretty big shrine. However the main structure of the snake is broken. Will keep you updated if I can get to it.

The "shrine" is probably the grave of the Chinese founder of Racha ferries who was buried there facing the sea.

Finally made it to the top, nothing much there apart the usual water bottles and food for the spirits and this beautiful shrines with an exceptional view, seems like someone is coming here regularly. Was a hard climb but totally worth it.

However found it a coincidence that a snake was chasing me on the way back, luckily made it back to the kayak in one piece.

Archived