New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

jail and prison are two different things. he wont see prison. relax.

If he was transferred to a prison as stated in the report he most certainly will see prison, the remand prison, he'll be there already, with many others waiting for their cases to go to court or for bail to be arranged.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steal a phone and being a foreigner, straight to jail. Being a spoilt brat, kill a policeman whilst high and drunk…go to Singapore for an extended holiday…TIT

He was offered bail. His choice whether to be in jail or not or go on the run.

Edited by MMarlow

Ah yes, indeed.

Where would these forums be were it not for foreigners of all ages who manage to arrive here in Thailand but then turn around and conduct themselves as if they'd never left home ?

Be it the lurve-struck romantic or this dime-store Beiber, the close up and personal encounter with Thai reality comes with tectonic results. Upon arriving here for whatever length of time their perceptions and their enjoyment of these surroundings seem to depend more on blind luck than anything else.

Whether their fragile mental state has been actively acquired or imposed by others, most problems Western visitors to Thailand encounter and report spring from this kind of self-deception.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

The perp was stupid to resist arrest. Otherwise, he could have settled out of court with the taxi driver (10,000 Bht to drop charges).

As it is, he probably hit some bobbies, so there could be assault charges too.

How do you know about the assault, wouldn't that have been reported if it happened anywhere but your imagination?

What would you think -resisting arrest would mean assault, if the bib wanted to press charges, not imagination or do you think the bib would not pull that one ??

Resisting arrest is not assault. Suggesting he committed assault when no-one else but tx22cb mentioned it is speculation or imagination whether you like it or not.

I learn something ever day here. Now when I plan to rob a bank, I will make sure it's daylight outside.

what if he did it during sunrise,as this would not be night or day,it will be morning.i think this is a loop hole here cheesy.gif

Glad to see the drunk put away!!! Too many still loose on the streets though!!! w00t.gif

Smokers too....lock them all up together.

How about this: Don't take other people's stuff. I think Thailand needs to start canning like in Singapore. These thieving turd teenagers both Thai and farang would stop stealing immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Yes....but depends how big the cans are.

Does Singapore can squid?

By the Pound

A farang resisting arrest, when blatantly caught.

The police will enjoy teaching him some manners, manners for people who aren't rich enough to knock them down and drag them to death in a ferrari of course.

Remember the black guy Simon in Phuket a few years getting cheeky with the immigration official, then instead of going home and back to work he spent the next 2 months in a Thai cell until he found his manners. :rofl:

It's lucky twilight is so brief in the tropics otherwise cops would have to carry light meters.

Does not look like a KIWI

He's poly for sure maybe Tongan, I don't think he's a maori but then again i know those bloody Maori's 555 I really hope his mates or any other young people that plan on traveling have taken something out of this and understand not to be so stupid when overseas

Let's remember folks, he is still a kid. Yes he did wrong but a 1-5 year prison sentence is just wrong.

He will have the opportunity to settle before his case goes to the Prosecutor and he better do so and just move on.

If he shows the taxi driver some remore, politeness etc. he might get off by compensating him. I hope so.

Yes theft is wrong but as an 18-year-old kid I can only imagine how he felt when he was being arrested (scared as hell) and also being intoxicated wouldn't help.

I think no matter what happens his "stealing" days are over.....lesson learned (we can only hope).

Sorry, but he is an adult. He wants to be treated as an adult and drink himself silly, fine. Along with adult privileges comes adult responsibilities. I'm willing to bet he's got a nice track record of opportunistic theft. Blaming the booze for his thievery is a lame cop out.

Some people when they drink too much do stupid pranks, where no one is harmed or they become happy drunks and just sit there singing or laughing away. They might even puke somewhere. We can all cut someone some slack on that and have a sympathetic slant.

And then there are the nasty drunks, who pick fights or steal. Nice people don't steal. It wouldn't cross most people's mind's to steal someone's mobile phone, especially some low wage worker's phone.

• Like 2

Give the guy a break - we don't know the real story yet..... I think its a bit odd that the taxi driver had his phone 'available' to steal and didn't notice the lad taking it! Its possible the driver 'planted' it (easy sting with a young drunk foreigner) and return later with his cop mates trying to extort some cash from him. We may never know what really happened, but don't assume the kid is to blame here.... would you trust the stories of a BKK taxi driver and cop?

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Of course I agree that we should behave properly as guests in this country and to pay the penalty if we don't. However, this story is typical of the gross double standards applying in this country. A young, drunk, stupid foreigner nicks a phone and behaves badly....thrown in jail and left out of contact with those who are looking for him, fearing the worst. A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

I would be grateful if you could explain ( or maybe one of your 18 likes) then how on earth Thailand have one of the highest prisoners population in the world ?

over 300 for 100 000 inhabitants most Asians ans Europeans countries in the 100 for 100 000 inhabitants. Thanks in advance. whistling.gif

post-154100-0-78652600-1391491940_thumb.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

• Like 1

To all the TV professionals.

My friend's brother (17 years old) stole 700 baht on a drunken night out from a Thai girl in the early hours of the morning in Pattaya.

He was arrested by the boys in brown.

My friend tried to settle with the police who refused. The brother was sent to Chonburi jail for the day.

Short story is he is out on 50k baht bail but must report to police or forfeit the bail and face arrest again. He is waiting for a meeting with the victim to settle in cash) and will face court.

He is Thai with no previous trouble with the police and is employed full time as a welder (good money for a young man).

Yes he did something wrong and deserves punishment. My point is don't always think it is two sided. Thais are often treated in the same manner, it just never makes the news.

Give the guy a break - we don't know the real story yet..... I think its a bit odd that the taxi driver had his phone 'available' to steal and didn't notice the lad taking it! Its possible the driver 'planted' it (easy sting with a young drunk foreigner) and return later with his cop mates trying to extort some cash from him. We may never know what really happened, but don't assume the kid is to blame here.... would you trust the stories of a BKK taxi driver and cop?

Are you serious? Haven't you ever taken a Bangkok taxi? We were on our way back from the train station and the driver had to pee. Not only did he leave the engine running as he dashed into the gas station toilet, but his phone was in full view, and there was money on his console.

If Quentin had not taken the phone why did he have it and then give it back when the driver who had dropped him off at the hotel, then went to the guy's room? If a taxi driver is going to scam someone, he's going to come up with an easier rip off.

Make people accountable for their actions like they do in Singapore instead of finding every reason not to be harsh with petty crims who go on to commit more serious crimes.

Rotan cane would be a good start

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Of course I agree that we should behave properly as guests in this country and to pay the penalty if we don't. However, this story is typical of the gross double standards applying in this country. A young, drunk, stupid foreigner nicks a phone and behaves badly....thrown in jail and left out of contact with those who are looking for him, fearing the worst. A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

I would be grateful if you could explain ( or maybe one of your 18 likes) then how on earth Thailand have one of the highest prisoners population in the world ?

over 300 for 100 000 inhabitants most Asians ans Europeans countries in the 100 for 100 000 inhabitants. Thanks in advance. whistling.gif

attachicon.gif800px-Prisoner_population_rate_world_2012_map.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Drugs.

I have no time for thieves, they should all be locked up... just a shame the law is not consistent here. i.e. you can get less time for killing someone if you know the right people.

Well I guess you don't live in Thailand then, not liking thieves... The government & most vendors are robbing from tourists. Stay in your home country where corruption (which is theft) happens, maybe not as in your face as Asia but it still happens everywhere.

Lock up every thief......lol, not enough prisons in the world. Of course you have never stolen, cheated on your taxes etc..... Neither I suspect have you been starving & stolen to live...but go ahead, judge everyone. Please do it from your armchair.

As to the boy in question, drunk so probably didnt mean to steal the phone, better for him to have driven into a bus stop and killed a few people.... I mean, a phone is far more important than a few Thai lives and doesnt carry a risk of prison.

• Like 1

There's literally thousands of these little creeps running around Kiwi land and Oz, most with the same crap attitude (& Facebook photo to boot) as this kid. Hopefully a short stint in a real jail will make him wake up to himself.

Little turds all round the world should realise that once they depart their little nanny states with weak judicial systems that they are fair game in other parts of the world & should behave accordingly. With a bit of luck the coming weeks the Thai system should straighten him up a tad and perhaps he will arrive back to NZ a better man for it.......in the meantime I will continue to play the worlds smallest violin for him ;)

• Like 1

Just because Thai treat Farang like king, they should not think that they are king.

There are law and order in in this country, and the justice system is pure and un-corrupted.

Anyone who break the law deserves to be punish by the law.

We had a thief breaking into our building at night. We gave of video evidence of the CCTV system to the police. The video showed him climbing through the window on the second floor, it clearly showed his face, it showed him running out of the building. The neighbors recognized him on the video. I went to see him at his home. It was him, he said he had already spent the money on going out.

I gave the video of the thief, the name of the thief and a map of where he lives to the police.

The police did nothing at all, although he broke into many building around here. Even contacting a higher level officer had no effect at all.

The thief must have been the same age as this guy.

The justice system might be not corrupted but the police is totally corrupt on all levels.

Edited by kriswillems