Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

Anti-govt protest leader Satish Sehgal threatens to take legal action against CMPO for ordering to deport him /MCOT

Well that could drag out for many years with appeals. He will probably see his days out in Thailand, might not be to good tho if he is held in an immigration detention centre tho.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have enjoyed the handwringing and carping by certain posters here.

Fact is that regardless of peoples inpressions of underhand dealings etc, there are sufficient judicial processes people can leverage off to defend their case.

This guy isn't going to be on the next plane back to India. Fact of the matter is any one of a number of different authorities can sit on the request and send it back on the basis of all sorts of technicalities, and that is BEFORE any formal appeals through the various courts.

This bloke isn't going anywhere, but I'll hand back the floor now to the usual suspects...

What exactly constitutes protesting?

If I walk down the street that the protest is on; does that mean I am "protesting" and are therefore going to get deported. What if I happen to be wearing a whistle, or happen to have wearing a large foam hand; does that qualify as "protesting"?

Walking down the street probably not but standing up on stage giving speeches and inciting others to help you overthrow a government probably yes.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

He was looked upon as a PDRC protest leader and planned to go to Chang Mai, with a group, to berate the red shirts.

Joining the protests is clearly illegal for falangs, however initiating a confrontation is another.

While he feels he doesn't belong to any political camp _ saying instead that he is reacting against injustice _ he was motivated to help the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) campaign because.he opposed the way the red shirts took over Silom in 2010.

There is more he was not only biased he was a royalist extremist.

From Mr Satish:

I heard that many red shirt people have removed pictures of the King from their houses. I just feel sorry for them. I think the red shirt people are ignorant. They have not been given the total information....

I will go to Chang Mai to educate them.

Sehgal led a group of protesters in Bangkok’s business district and called for the elected government to quit.

He also publicly criticised the government and showed his strong affiliation to the opposition Democrat Party.

+1

BTW You can see the pictures of His Majesty all over the North and Northeast in those houses. I wonder who came up with that that story that the pictures of HM was removed. I have nothing against Mr. Sehgal personally but he went a step to far and this will bite him dearly.

• Like 1

If I walk down the street that the protest is on; does that mean I am "protesting" and are therefore going to get deported. What if I happen to be wearing a whistle, or happen to have wearing a large foam hand; does that qualify as "protesting"?

Nooooo...you are just describing everyone's daily attire...coffee1.gif

trogers, on 04 Feb 2014 - 15:15, said:

A foreigner in Thailand does not enjoy the same rights as a Thai that are provided by the Thai Constitution?

NO

If you are not Thai, why should you have any rights at all? coffee1.gif

Because all have certain unalienated rights given by international agreements/treaties on human rights

A foreigner in Thailand does not enjoy the same rights as a Thai that are provided by the Thai Constitution?

of course we don't... we're foreigners! we are also considered as uninformed, apathetic, parasitic, and unfit to contribute anything significant to the Thai society. should we reach a status that puts us at at least one level below the Thais, pray hard because the end of the world is near when that happens. despite that, most of us have families and/or have grown to love this country that is xenophobic at best. some of us do get by.

• Like 1

All ex-pats and the tourists as well should be pleased that Mr. Satish says that he will take this matter through the judicial process if an order to deport is issued.

"Anti-govt protest leader Satish Sehgal threatens to take legal action against CMPO for ordering to deport him /MCOT"

Various provincial immigration police agencies issued warnings to foreigners that they could be deported, or their extensions of stay canceled, should they engage in protest activity.

Hopefully, this gentleman has the means to contest the constitutionality of such an order of the immigration police in court. The only basis for such an order is the following language found in the Immigration Act BE 2552, Section 12, Aliens falling into these categories may be excluded from the Kingdom

7. Having behavior which would indicate possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

A court would probably find the immigration act's language is overbroad and ambiguous and could not support the immigration police orders that were issued. Simply being found in a protest area could be used to deport someone, and that wouldn't be supported by the underlying purpose of the immigration act.

It happened back in 2010, and no one complained about the Aussie deported, no one said Immigration Act has flaws back then.

He went on stage as Mr.Satish did. Nothing changed. Those are the rules, everyone should keep in mind, when do something they could pay consequences...

• Like 1

There is a LOT of folks in this thread whining about how the poor foreigner got screwed by politics - that's simply not true.

He broke the law! We were all warned! WE ALL KNOW WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS THE LOCALS!

Seriously - what if you (whiners) were back in your homeland and a foreigner was told NOT to do something, but they did it anyway - you would all be screaming for their heads!

Common sense people - the law is the law. It's not always fair to us - but as a resident - you learn to accept the shortcomings - or you can GTFO!

Broke the law?? Please show me a link. Just because an agency says something does not make it a LAW! Come on, deportation laws exist and have to be reasonable - if the government came out tomorrow and said "If you're caught with a prostitue you'll be deported" Im sure many on TV would be "outraged" and spouting how ridiculous Thailand is (By the way prostitution is a REAL crime in Thailand).

He was clearly involved with a protest movement after the SOE was in place, which is against the law.

Thats it, no need to elaborate or try to make excuses.

The SOE prohibits all protests and gatherings. So if there is one and you are involved in it, especially when considered a "leader", then unless you are Thai and fall under the protection of Sutheps backers (for now) then you will get deported for breaking the law.

its quite simple.

Break the law - be prosecuted. If you are a foreigner, be deported.

All in my opinion of course.

So all bar patrons during the SOE should also be arrested since gatherings of more than 5 are illegal as well??? Can't have it both ways

Pathetic!

I would never criticize or insult anyone when I am in their home, and I would expect the same courtesy when others are visiting mine.

If someone criticize or disrespect me in front of my family at my house, they will be asked to leave no matter they are invited or not.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your analogy only works for tourists and non-tax paying expats. For the tax paying expats, it is more akin of going to a hotel, paying the bill, would this not then grant the paying "guest" to complain about poor service?

He can run his business via Skype from India since it is so easy to do.

Why should he - if he is deported (big IF), then he can move it to India with him, jobs, taxes, profits, supply chain, and all.

//Edit: Changed "Suppliers" to "Supply Chain" as it inferred actually relocating his current specific suppliers - when really he would simply change them for local Indian variety (and probably get it cheaper too).

Edited by wolf5370

I would never criticize or insult anyone when I am in their home, and I would expect the same courtesy when others are visiting mine.

If someone criticize or disrespect me in front of my family at my house, they will be asked to leave no matter they are invited or not.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your analogy only works for tourists and non-tax paying expats. For the tax paying expats, it is more akin of going to a hotel, paying the bill, would this not then grant the paying "guest" to complain about poor service?

You do have a point about the right to complain when a paying customer encounter poor service, but the complain should still goes through proper channel instead of addressing them in public. And there might be civil legal implication too if the complain is prove unfound.

I am not sure if he is being deported for giving some speeches on the stage or for joining the march to closed down the aviation center, but in the end all government in the asia region does not react graciously to criticism.

According to an interview in "the other paper " he stopped involvement when the emergency decree was issued. So if that is correct it would be interesting WHAT law he broke!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Indeed.

I wondered about this blanket threat to deport anyone for any participation whatsoever.

From a legal perspective, it sounds nice to throw the book at foreigners. In reality, it might not be quite so easy.

What I read was he said he wanted reform.and a reduction in corruption. Earth shattering. Let's see.

....very, very silly to do this. They were doing well , all things considered, in the international arena and now a childish, petulant, vindictive response. Doesn't help the cause one bit...

Very, very silly that anyone would expect foreigners to have the right to involve themselves in internal political affairs -- in ANY country.

trogers, on 04 Feb 2014 - 15:15, said:

NO

As non-Thai you have only ONE and ONE-only right here: to spend as much money in as less time as possible.

Did you invest here, did you buy a condo here, did you gave a lot of money to your Thai lady here to build a house or whatever... you are only tolerated till your money is finished, but you will NEVER have even the slightest power of attorney to guard your investment.

So, you want to interfere in whatever... then you are kicked out.

He was looked upon as a PDRC protest leader and planned to go to Chang Mai, with a group, to berate the red shirts.

Joining the protests is clearly illegal for falangs, however initiating a confrontation is another.

While he feels he doesn't belong to any political camp _ saying instead that he is reacting against injustice _ he was motivated to help the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) campaign because.he opposed the way the red shirts took over Silom in 2010.

There is more he was not only biased he was a royalist extremist.

From Mr Satish:

I heard that many red shirt people have removed pictures of the King from their houses. I just feel sorry for them. I think the red shirt people are ignorant. They have not been given the total information....

I will go to Chang Mai to educate them.

Sehgal led a group of protesters in Bangkok’s business district and called for the elected government to quit.

He also publicly criticised the government and showed his strong affiliation to the opposition Democrat Party.

If he really said that "the reds shirts are ignorant", he really deserves to get kicked out of this country!

This is one of the main causes of this crisis: There are far too many people who, for wathever reason, have such a sense of superiority that they allow themselves to consider millions of other people as "ignorant".

This gives me nausea, really.

When it comes to politics, if he believes that the northern or northeastern people do not have enough information, I believe he never went there in his 55 years in Thailand.

And when it comes to respecting the Thai monarchy, it is really really really hard to find a home in the north or northeast that does not have the portrait of H.M. the King.

The fact that he says "I heard" probably confirms that he bases his information on the Dems' propaganda, rather than his own experience.

Kick him out !

• Like 1

Probably not? I have been married to my Thai Wife for 14 years, but as I understand it, if we move to Thailand, I will be treated like a foreigner as far as immigration is concerned, as far as buying a house is concerned and who knows what else. This has been holding me back from her wish for me to move with her to Thailand. Sort of like walking unvited into someone's house.

Maybe if a Thai political party emerges that would support me purchasing a rai of land to build my retirement home I might get interested in Thai politics.

Well you know... I recall a English guy named Lennon that was ordered to be deported by an American guy named Nixon for expressing his political opinions. Now, I don't want to really compare then and now; except to say that in both cases the government's reasons were and are politically motivated.

Well you know... I recall a English guy named Lennon that was ordered to be deported by an American guy named Nixon for expressing his political opinions. Now, I don't want to really compare then and now; except to say that in both cases the government's reasons were and are politically motivated.

just tell the whole story.

the deportation order was overturned in 1975. The following year, his US immigration status finally resolved, Lennon received his "green card" certifying his permanent residency, and when Jimmy Carter was inaugurated as president in January 1977, Lennon and Ono attended the Inaugural Ball.[219]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Deportation_attempt

the deportation order was overturned in 1975. The following year, his US immigration status finally resolved, Lennon received his "green card" certifying his permanent residency, and when Jimmy Carter was inaugurated as president in January 1977, Lennon and Ono attended the Inaugural Ball.[219]

My point wasn't wasn't to tell the whole story. My point was to point out that in both cases it was the government's political motivations that called for the deportation orders.

My point wasn't wasn't to tell the whole story. My point was to point out that in both cases it was the government's political motivations that called for the deportation orders.

Worth considering who is now thought of more favorably...Lennon or Nixon....

Maybe in 40 years we can revisit the topic.

• Like 1

Walking down the street probably not but standing up on stage giving speeches and inciting others to help you overthrow a government probably yes.

And from other accounts off this site, also heavily backing the PDRC financially. That's probably more serious than standing on a stage if true.

• Like 1

I am just boggled at some of the naivety and thick-headedness of some posters here.

It's NOT just a "Thailand thing" to deny rights to VISITORS.

Not every country is like the UK or the USA - where, once you place a foot on their soil - even not as a citizen, you have the SAME rights (pretty much) as it's citizens.

In fact MOST countries don't extend all their rights to VISITORS.

You break the law - no matter how UNJUST or BIASED the law is - you face the consequences!