Sc!ew Xoom Money xfer

Well, using Xoom from USA account to Philippines for my brother-in-law's college needs was a total failure. They canceled the transaction after many hours of waiing for an update BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE A USA CELL PHONE FOR THEM TO SMS IN ORDER TO VERIFY IT IS REALLY ME SENDING THE MONEY! What do you expect for a flat $4.99 fee, huh? Western Union? Kid gets less cash. Bummer.

Yes, Americans while stateside should set up maildrop addresses, forwarding landlines and international-enabled US-based mobile numbers so they can operate internationally still appearing to everyone as if they are still stateside.

Doesn't cost much to maintain once set up, and really helps Perpetual Tourists remain in the first world electronically.

Can't really see how this is Thai related as per a report other than to not use Xoom money transfer if you don't have a mobile phone in the US.

Going to move it to the banking forum anyway for a heads up for our US members.

...and Justin Bieber's car accident is? I'm not the only farang with ties in Philippines. Xoom is also hoping to start Thailand service, which WOULD be a great way to send our income here for B150/mo

I have the po box, but didn't think of the phone... maybe set up a skype number or similar, but not going to keep a cell phone there.

Edited by SailingHome

Well, using Xoom from USA account to Philippines for my brother-in-law's college needs was a total failure. They canceled the transaction after many hours of waiing for an update BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE A USA CELL PHONE FOR THEM TO SMS IN ORDER TO VERIFY IT IS REALLY ME SENDING THE MONEY! What do you expect for a flat $4.99 fee, huh? Western Union? Kid gets less cash. Bummer.

Jow does sending a code in sms to a cell phone guarantee that it is me anyway? A thief could easily do this.