Thai Bank Account

I'm here in Thailand on a Type-O visa (3 months). I'm going to get married, and i'm trying to set up a bank account so that i can deposit the 400,000 baht to get the 1 year extension.

But no banks will allow me to setup a bank account (been to Bangkok bank and SCB), both said that i require a work permit in order to setup an account.

I do have a Thai military bank account (which i open 2 years ago when i was here on a student visa). But TMB seems kinda of ....shady? Is wiring 600,000+ to TMB a good idea?

I didn't realize it would be so difficult to open an account here.

I'm here in Thailand on a Type-O visa (3 months). I'm going to get married, and i'm trying to set up a bank account so that i can deposit the 400,000 baht to get the 1 year extension.

But no banks will allow me to setup a bank account (been to Bangkok bank and SCB), both said that i require a work permit in order to setup an account.

I do have a Thai military bank account (which i open 2 years ago when i was here on a student visa). But TMB seems kinda of ....shady? Is wiring 600,000+ to TMB a good idea?

Bangkok Bank gave you hassles? That's odd. I just recently went to the Bangkok Bank office near Sukhumvit Soi 8 and had no troubles opening a savings account. I am also married to a Thai, but I did not have to prove that, nor did the bank official ask. Furthermore, all I had was a 30-day entry permit (no visa of any flavour whatsoever).

The bank did require me to get an affidavit from the US Embassy to verify my identity (in other words, the US Embassy verified that my US Passport was legit).

Anyhow, that was it. I opened an account, and deposited a mere 1000 baht. Aside from the trip and delay at the embassy, the process at the bank took less than 20 minutes.

If one branch says no you move on to the next. Each branch, not bank, seems to set its own policy. But do not believe TMB to be a problem myself if you want to use them. This letter from Embassy seems to be a new requirement that is often asked for now.

Recently, from a number of reports, they have been demanding a work permit again so it is common for even passbook savings accounts now. But some seem to be using the "letter from Embassy" as an alternative so that is what you need to find.

they change the rules all the time and it varies from bank to bank, i had my WP thrown back at me once, just wanted a passport and proof of address, I used a Thai driving licence, just keep trying different banks/branches, the TMB should be ok too

You are trying to open a Savings account and not a checking account? The latter will probably require a work permit but the former does not. As lop said try another branch.

I went to 3 SCBs and 2 BBK banks, but all of them said the same thing.

I didnt get ask for checking or savings, as they said "Work Permit" before i had even sat down to start the paper work.

I think i will just stick with the TMB account that i have, as no one seems to have anythign bad to say about them?

I tried to open a Bank account for the same reason in Pattaya a few months ago.

The situation was as follows :

SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK, branch near entrance to Walking Street : the maneger came to me and told me I could not open any bank account without a 1 year visa AND a work permit and without that I shouldn't spend their time

SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK, branch on 2nd road near TOPS : asked for passport AND residence certificate from immigration(a real hassle)

THAI MILITARY BANK, branch in Royal Garden :said I could open a savings account only (not a current account) ,asked for passport only and gave me an ATM card+PIN number on the spot (whole process took about 15 minutes, I had to give them an address in Thailand but not any proof od address)

BANGKOK BANK,branch on 2nd road opposite Soi 6.Asked same as TMB, gave me ATM card and PIN number about a week after.

Yeah,++++ing annoying.I had the same trouble in Chumphon and at my wits end went to SCB.They too said no until my wife said what a shame it was as I wanted to deposit B700,000.

"700,000 you say?Just a moment,please."2 minutes later all smiles and "Of course you can sir.Not a problem at all."Like the others say,keep trying.

Hi

I had no problem opening an account with Kasikorn Bank with just a few thousand Baht.

Would of thought TMB was kosher! after all doesn't the govt own a fixed share of every Thai bank by law?

TBWG :o

Went to Bangkok Bank and opened savings account a few months ago with passport only.

No problems!! Sorry to hear the fellow is having trouble.

Is this common for banks in Thailand to change policy from time to time???

Went to Bangkok Bank and opened savings account

I have very recent experiences of helping my clients on this matter and:

-Bangkok Bank in south Pattaya opens an account and gives you Visa Electron card (small fee) without stupid questions. They need your passport. Nothing else.

(Though another client of mine reported me that BKK Bank in Korat didn't open him an account yesterday. So again proved is that every branch has their own policy.)

-Kasikorn Bank in south Pattaya; account opened on about 4 minutes. Passport needed. No hassle. Visa Electron with a small fee.

-Thai Military Bank on central Pattaya. Same same! No problems.

-Krung Thai Bank in south Pattaya. Same same. All like the above. No hassle.

All these cases I was there with my clients (as an interpreteur) and it was VERY easy and friendly from the personnel's part.

They all charge a bit for Visa Electron (300 - 500 baht as I recall) and they all require you deposit a small amount on your account. They give you passbook in a few minutes but most of them will prepare your Electron card in about 1-2 weeks.

It of course might be that here in Pattaya the bankshave more open minded policy towards gringos than their brances in Isaan and other provinces where it is more like an exception to see a farang as a client in a bank.

Just to follow up:

I went to TMB and to my surprise my account was still open even though its had 0 baht in it for the last 2 years.

So i wired my money to TMB and everything seems all set (wire actually was faster than when i wired money to my g/fs SCB account last month).

"It of course might be that here in Pattaya the bankshave more open minded policy towards gringos than their brances in Isaan and other provinces where it is more like an exception to see a farang as a client in a bank."

Correct I think.

But, please open your account where you want to live. For example BangkokBank from other provinces can not give you after "bankstatements" when you have to show after the immigration or like me happend for a good insurance company. Or you have forgotten your PIN and the card is no more validly, you have to travel there after and that is hassle.

i got the same run around from all the banks in bangkok, but went rangsit where i was staying at the time and just a passport was needed.

the guy at immigration i asked said there should be no requirement for a work permit as when you apply for a tourist to non imm o change over you need 400k in the bank, how to do if you cant open an account? he said the banks should allow.

i was told when i went SCB that i had to go head office if i wanted a account without a workpermit, seems the local branch manager sets the rules at each branch.

:o

• 2 weeks later...

Well no workpermit,no bank account,rule by Bank of Thailand,all foreigner with bank account but without workpermit living on thin ice

Well no workpermit,no bank account,rule by Bank of Thailand,all foreigner with bank account but without workpermit living on thin ice

I don't know why Immigration stated there should be no problems with any Bank getting a account without a work permit, do you mean they will close those bank accounts where people don't have a work permit at Bank of thailand?

Once you have Non Imm O there doesnt seem to be any issues getting an account opened even without a work permit.

Baz

Dave,

I am on a month to month extension visa ie every 30 days is the dreaded border run, and a friend of mine was on holiday here for 2 weeks.

We both opened bank accounts with no work permits with the auyudha bank in tesco lotus north pattaya road.

But try the new branch in Soi Bha Khow, as they need new customers. They are very very good as i have transfered over 1 million bt from my nationwide account in the UK to thailand within 6 working days.

I hope this helps..........

Dave,

I am on a month to month extension visa ie every 30 days is the dreaded border run, and a friend of mine was on holiday here for 2 weeks.

We both opened bank accounts with no work permits with the auyudha bank in tesco lotus north pattaya road.

But try the new branch in Soi Bha Khow, as they need new customers. They are very very good as i have transfered over 1 million bt from my nationwide account in the UK to thailand within 6 working days.

I hope this helps..........

I think dave has one already.

But when not, he live in BKK and not in Pattaya (other province).

If his bank has the same practice then Bangkok Bank, he has to travel to Pattaya extra for a bank statement when he need it "really" one time. Bangkok Bank can not issue bank statements from your account in other province (letter for immigration etc.)

That's my experience with Bangkok Bank!

he has to travel to Pattaya extra for a bank statement when he need it "really" one time. Bangkok Bank can not issue bank statements from your account in other province (letter for immigration etc.)

But then again; it is still better to HAVE an account and travel some times for some document to another province than NOT to have an account, isn't it?

On my opionion, and in my situation; yes it is. (Even though I have the account at my own nearest branch. But to speak on the behalf of those of us who meet these difficulties.)

he has to travel to Pattaya extra for a bank statement when he need it "really" one time. Bangkok Bank can not issue bank statements from your account in other province (letter for immigration etc.)

But then again; it is still better to HAVE an account and travel some times for some document to another province than NOT to have an account, isn't it?

On my opionion, and in my situation; yes it is. (Even though I have the account at my own nearest branch. But to speak on the behalf of those of us who meet these difficulties.)

:o ...my would be a whole day trip and maybe with hotel also.

:o ...my would be a whole day trip and maybe with hotel also.

Well, of course it would be easier to have thai banks in this century on this, and to have all branches of a same bank working together for the benefit of their clients but my experience is that these kind of visits to your OWN branch are needed very rarely. My experience; twice in these 7 years; 1. time to get a new passbook and 2. time to get a new ATM card. But then again I don't need any documents for immigration since I'm on NonImm "B" and many of use here DO need regularly these documents; once a year I suppose.

It's all about valuating your needs; is it too big hassle to travel yearly to your "own" branch or do the benefits of this hassle overcome the annoyance of it?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Bangkok Bank at the Emporium Saturday morning to try and get a letter of guarantee for my marriage visa renewal. I was also told they are unable to issue such letters for other provinces so I had to go to Pattaya yesterday morning - letter ready in 2 hours, cost 100 baht! No great hassle.

Whilst I was in the Emporium branch I saw a notice at the customer services desk which read as follows:

Foreigners wishing to open bank acount

Require one of the following..

1. work permit

2. non-immigrant visa

3. letter of recommendation

4. previous BKK Bank acount number.

• 1 month later...

Just another update:

I was with my client last thursday in BKK Bank of South Pattaya to open him an account.

He had only 30 days permit of stay and no visa at all.

We opened him an account without a proplem. What the bank asked was copy of his passport. NO OTHER DOCUMENTS REQUIRED.

And now he has an account and ATM card for it.

It has always been the same with BKK Bank on my experience and nothing seems to have changed. I am sorry to hear that some of us have problems but my experience speaks completely other story.

Don't even think about SCB at Paragon. The branch manager says that you need a work permit.

I have several accounts with SCB in other areas, but wanted a more convenienet branch. Still, no dice.

It is really up to the branch. Funny thing.