Three Malaysians arrested in Thailand for credit card fraud

webfact

Three Malaysians arrested for credit card fraud
By Digital Content

13915133996543.jpg

PATHUM THANI, Feb 5 - Three Malaysian nationals were arrested on Tuesday for allegedly being members of a counterfeit credit card ring, according to police.

Pol Maj Gen Smith Mukdasanit, commander of Pathum Thani provincial police, said three men identified as Tee Hock Peng, 50, Tan Cheng Hock, 57, and Lee Jian Tyng, 24, were suspected of being members of an electronic card skimming syndicate.

The police were earlier informed of unusual practices of a group of foreigners who purchased goods with electronic cards and when the machines rejected the payment, they would switch to many other cards until one of them was accepted.

Police coordinated with banks which confirmed that the cards were counterfeit.

The three suspects confessed to the police that they would immediately destroy a card once they could use it to buy goods, while the items they purchased would be later sold, with the money shared among them.

They were charged with possession of fake credit cards as well as for illegally producing, obtaining, and transporting counterfeit credit cards for use in the Kingdom. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-05

In the case of Thais rarely being arrested for scams like this, the headlines state "Three Men Arrested." In the case of foreigners of any nationality as in this case, it's Three "Malaysians" so as to distinguish the scammers from Thais. The Thai press is quite blatant about this discrimination.

• Like 1

This is a shocking crime that really makes me boil. It has happened to me and stress levels went through the roof. Lock these guys up and see if they can steal a key to get out of prison !

Why were you stressed? Your bank has to refund the money in fraud cases, if your bank has a crappy fraud policy then your clearly with the wrong bank.

My family's had plenty of fraud cases with banks and all money returned under our country's laws. Why don't you sign up for SMS alert when your cards being used? Just an idea..

• Like 1

Malaysia is the credit card capital of the world. But credit card companies and banks should not complain. They still put an electronic strip on cards which are outdated for more than 15 years. If the banks were a bit less lazy and changed their ATM machines and blocked cards standard for being used abroad the losses would be miniscule. People needing a card abroad could open it with a phone call and as soon as they are back home they should replace the cards.

Soon entire colonies of Rumanians and Bulgarians will flock to Thailand to take advantage of the laps in security that incompetent bank bosses can be blamed for.

Thailand will not just face more cases like this one. More drugs, prostitution, no jobs for Thais, as all the other nationals, maybe excluding Brunei, will work for less money., etc....once ASEAN pops in.

Lock them up and throw away the key.

Thailand will not just face more cases like this one. More drugs, prostitution, no jobs for Thais, as all the other nationals, maybe excluding Brunei, will work for less money., etc....once ASEAN pops in.

This is a shocking crime that really makes me boil. It has happened to me and stress levels went through the roof. Lock these guys up and see if they can steal a key to get out of prison !

Why were you stressed? Your bank has to refund the money in fraud cases, if your bank has a crappy fraud policy then your clearly with the wrong bank.

My family's had plenty of fraud cases with banks and all money returned under our country's laws. Why don't you sign up for SMS alert when your cards being used? Just an idea..

Ha,try getting money out of a Thai bank on a skim scam.Is your family particularly careless in their banking?So you get an SMS alert "after" you are scammed,very helpful.May stop future scams i suppose.

• Like 1

Malaysia is the credit card capital of the world. But credit card companies and banks should not complain. They still put an electronic strip on cards which are outdated for more than 15 years. If the banks were a bit less lazy and changed their ATM machines and blocked cards standard for being used abroad the losses would be miniscule. People needing a card abroad could open it with a phone call and as soon as they are back home they should replace the cards.

Soon entire colonies of Rumanians and Bulgarians will flock to Thailand to take advantage of the laps in security that incompetent bank bosses can be blamed for.

I read somewhere it's all because the USA wont change their ATM'S,cost too much,nothing to do with lazy.Rather pay out on fraud than update because it is cost effective.That is one reason why this world is going downhill fast.

The bottom line may be a joke,but we will see in 10 years time.

There are a lot of these scammers coming in from Malaysia. Almost all of them ethnic Chinese. A good question is why are the chinese in Malaysia so criminally minded?

It could be linked to the discriminatory policies directed at anyone who isn't of Malay ethnicity. If you make it difficult for a group of people to participate in the legitimate economy on an equal footing then they'll find alternatives.

Ha,try getting money out of a Thai bank on a skim scam.Is your family particularly careless in their banking?So you get an SMS alert "after" you are scammed,very helpful.May stop future scams i suppose.

We are far from careless.. thanks for your input thou.