3BB FTTx Fiber optic network - any good?

davejonesbkk

Continuing on from this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699735-upgraded-true-internet-package-and-its-the-same-or-worse-than-before/#entry7352048

Im going to change back to 3BB, I was with them a couple of years ago and they were fine, now True is a joke here for last few months and Ive had enough, friends in same building as me say 3BB is fine though.

So how about these fibre optic packages?

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/details/2253

I assume only in certain areas, are they any good or is it just more smoke & mirrors and BS from the ISPs?

3BB limited on a single download but pretty good on multiple threads eg torrents.

I've maxed-out a 10meg 3BB line - which was actually a TTT/3BB line - for hours on end, no problems, uTorrent said 1.3MB/sec or something which is full rate for 10 Mb/s adsl.

This is in Pattaya.

Before that is was True Cable.. They use some sort of gadgetry to sense the use and then adaptively manage the network. Personally I don't want a managed network but it might actually work out better for Skype.

Whilst having used these connections, I had Cat cable as well. No pissing about with adaptive throttling. Cat is the best of the three, imho, but it's more expensive. TOT worth a look too. CAT/TOT merging their networks I heard.

Edited by RandomSand

Only reason for getting 3BB fibre over 3BB DSL would be better latency and higher upload. Then again; better not count on actually getting the full 3 meg upload to the west !

If you're uploading to Google / Youtube, then as they have servers in Singapore, so you might enjoy the 3meg upload. I bet Thai-US upload is <1 meg !

Edited by RandomSand

• 2 weeks later...

If international bandwidth it is what you are looking for its exactly the same as 3bb adsl unless you are talking about a business package which starts at 6000 per month

How do you work this out? I have heard it stated/quoted many times on the TV forum that Thai International Internet BW sucks however, this Thai guy seems to have done his homework:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/23-tot-fttx-vs-true-docsis/23-tot-fttx-vs-true-docsis

and when you look at his International speed tests:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/25-fttx-docsis-internet-fttx-tot-docsis-true

his published test results DO NOT seem to agree with your statement!

I am not trying to provoke an argument it is just that I am thinking about installing 3BB FTTx in order to be able to watch live international TV over the Internet without having to put up with the continual re-loads & stuttering of the present system. I am therefore looking at what hi-speed options are available and also, what folk are saying. As you may gather, the contradictory statements just do not help in making decisions any easier.

Constructive comments would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. the final part of his series:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/38-fttx-docsis-internet-fttx-tot-docsis-true

If international bandwidth it is what you are looking for its exactly the same as 3bb adsl unless you are talking about a business package which starts at 6000 per month

How do you work this out? I have heard it stated/quoted many times on the TV forum that Thai International Internet BW sucks however, this Thai guy seems to have done his homework:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/23-tot-fttx-vs-true-docsis/23-tot-fttx-vs-true-docsis

and when you look at his International speed tests:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/25-fttx-docsis-internet-fttx-tot-docsis-true

his published test results DO NOT seem to agree with your statement!

I am not trying to provoke an argument it is just that I am thinking about installing 3BB FTTx in order to be able to watch live international TV over the Internet without having to put up with the continual re-loads & stuttering of the present system. I am therefore looking at what hi-speed options are available and also, what folk are saying. As you may gather, the contradictory statements just do not help in making decisions any easier.

Constructive comments would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. the final part of his series:-

http://www.fttxworld.com/index.php/review/item/38-fttx-docsis-internet-fttx-tot-docsis-true

Just another dumb thai who believes his ping/latency is faster than light. His tests are fake and running behind a proxy. If you got any sense can you tell me is it possible to get under10 ms ping round trip from Washington to Thailand?

• Like 1

Agreed. You'll have to get some sort of business grade service, which should come with an SLA. The 3BB FTTx Business lines start at 6,300 baht/month (30/3), with 50/5 being 10,490, and 100/20 at 48,300 baht/month. You should review the SLAs to insure the lines will meet your requirements. CAT On Net FTTx "business" lines (Platinum) are similarly priced; from 6,900 baht/month to 25,000 baht/month.

The demand for streamed content is far outstripping the available bandwidth, to the point I doubt you'll ever catch up here. The last article I saw, from last year, said that ~ 9:00 PM ET in the U.S. NetFlix users consume 1/3 of all the bandwidth in the U.S., with YouTube added in, the figure exceeds 50%. With House of Cards S02 I'd guess that spiked way up over the past few days?

Just another dumb thai who believes his ping/latency is faster than light. His tests are fake and running behind a proxy. If you got any sense can you tell me is it possible to get under10 ms ping round trip from Washington to Thailand?

So Shariq; this is what is deemed 'constructive comments.' Thanks for the enlightenment.

As regards your question; I and the comms industry may not have any sense as, before my well earned retirement, my consultancy charges were in excess of 10M baht per an-num.

Definitely no sense there....................

Maybe I have something in common with the dumb thai (sic)

I rest my case

• 10 months later...

You need to find whatever is not popularly used in your area. Perhaps AIS Airnet?

30/3 for 1200 baht compared to True online is good pricing, but don't expect 3bb to perform any better during peak hours.

I currently using 3BB FTTX 30/3 in Bangkok and it's better than True Cable Internet btw.

• 5 weeks later...

You need to find whatever is not popularly used in your area. Perhaps AIS Airnet?

30/3 for 1200 baht compared to True online is good pricing, but don't expect 3bb to perform any better during peak hours.

I currently using 3BB FTTX 30/3 in Bangkok and it's better than True Cable Internet btw.

Better how?

Can you elaborate?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Better how?

Can you elaborate?

I have been with True Cable Internet for the last 4 years and True Cable Internet used the Coaxial Cable so the speed is not that stable due to a lot of random disconnections where the speed is extremely slow.

While 3BB FTTX is the best due to the fibre to the home technology is more stable than True and you can use it all day without worrying about the Internet going down (eg. Rainy Season). This technology is a true optical fiber to replace all or part of the usual copper local look used for telecommunications.

Also, FTTX has a lower bing than True Cable Internet and in the future there will be plan to raise the speed up to 1000 mbps using FTTX.

I hope you get my point.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Better how?

Can you elaborate?

I have been with True Cable Internet for the last 4 years and True Cable Internet used the Coaxial Cable so the speed is not that stable due to a lot of random disconnections where the speed is extremely slow.

While 3BB FTTX is the best due to the fibre to the home technology is more stable than True and you can use it all day without worrying about the Internet going down (eg. Rainy Season). This technology is a true optical fiber to replace all or part of the usual copper local look used for telecommunications.

Also, FTTX has a lower bing than True Cable Internet and in the future there will be plan to raise the speed up to 1000 mbps using FTTX.

I hope you get my point.

You talk like 3bb salesman.

Docsis 3.0 used by True can be considered as FTTx and these coaxial cables are pretty stable. If yours wasn't, perhaps you lived too far from True node.

Nobody with right mind will get 1000mbps from 3bb when they offer it. Who wants to pay 1k$ - 2k$ usd per month for 1gbit/s domestic internet speed?

I checked 3bb pings. Some locations like Amsterdam, NL, 3bb has better pings. US west coast, cat/true has better pings.

The only reason I could get 3bb is, True's lower performance on VOIP applications due to some sort of blocking / throttling. Assuming 3BB does not scramble voip packets.

Better how?

Can you elaborate?

I hope you get my point.

You talk like 3bb salesman.

Docsis 3.0 used by True can be considered as FTTx and these coaxial cables are pretty stable. If yours wasn't, perhaps you lived too far from True node.

Nobody with right mind will get 1000mbps from 3bb when they offer it. Who wants to pay 1k$ - 2k$ usd per month for 1gbit/s domestic internet speed?

I checked 3bb pings. Some locations like Amsterdam, NL, 3bb has better pings. US west coast, cat/true has better pings.

The only reason I could get 3bb is, True's lower performance on VOIP applications due to some sort of blocking / throttling. Assuming 3BB does not scramble voip packets.

Exactly.

I'm not a 3BB salesman. I currently live in the middle of Bangkok (Pratunam) near 3BB node and around here there's too many

True Cable Internet user so this is why I can't stand the speed of True Internet.

Suddenly 3BB has come around my area so this is why I keep boasting about 3BB is better than True Cable Internet.