Immigration Reaffirms Warning to Foreigners Involved in Protests

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows that you have no rights as a foreigner in Thailand, no matter how long you have lived here.

You have finally caught on.

I would not advise any foreigners to consider staying in Thailand for the long term at the present until these political disputes are resolved one way or another.

Also these protest laws may extend to what foreigners say Online, especially on Thai visa regarding the Thailand situation at the moment and suggest the less said, the better. Otherwise it`s up to each individuals risk and discretion, including the website owners that host these comments.

Dangerous times that could be heading for an inevitable civil war between the north and the south. This is not paranoia as feelings are high among the Thais, things are not looking good. Hoping my hunches are wrong.

"You probably, would be suspended to stay in the Kingdom"?

lovely translation.

I personally wouldn't take part, as I have scant regard for either side.

however, if I felt strongly enough about an issue anywhere in the world and had the opportunity, being a citizen of that country or not most certainly would have little bearing upon whether or not I took part in demos..........I remember Bellamy protesting against deforestation in Tasmania, and people all over the world demonstration against Japanese whaling, imprisonment without trial, racist government policies, settlement of indigoes people's land, fracking etc etc..........

If they feel strongly enough and love Thailand and their Thai friends, want to show their solidarity I can see their point, good luck.

Quite frankly if the authorities take action against them, then it really underlines how parochial and niggardly some aspects of Thai authority can be.

Freedom of expression is not a national right, it is a world right, and those who try to suppress it will in the end lose out.

Freedom of expression is one thing, outright hatred of everything that is Thai is another!!

As many on this forum have expressed, some of us personally take offence as they are talking about "all" Thai's which includes our family and friends. I suppose I could take the high road and not respond to their racist comments!

But having that freedom of expression, I take it upon myself to respond, to not allow those A*****e venom to go unchallenged, is not a part of who I am!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

lovely translation.

however, if I felt strongly enough about an issue anywhere in the world and had the opportunity, being a citizen of that country or not most certainly would have little bearing upon whether or not I took part in demos..........I remember Bellamy protesting against deforestation in Tasmania, and people all over the world demonstration against Japanese whaling, imprisonment without trial, racist government policies, settlement of indigoes people's land, fracking etc etc..........

If they feel strongly enough and love Thailand and their Thai friends, want to show their solidarity I can see their point, good luck.

Quite frankly if the authorities take action against them, then it really underlines how parochial and niggardly some aspects of Thai authority can be.

Freedom of expression is not a national right, it is a world right, and those who try to suppress it will in the end lose out.

Freedom of expression is one thing, outright hatred of everything that is Thai is another!!

As many on this forum have expressed, some of us personally take offence as they are taking about "all" Thai's which includes our family and friends. I suppose I could take the high road and not respond to their racist comments!

But having that freedom of expression, I take it upon myself to respond, to not allow those A*****e venom to go unchallenged, is not a part of who I am!

Cheers

Haha.

Well that's ok, because we are all just falangs. It is a little too complicated to get drawn into distinguishing Brit, french, american,Canadian, Brazilian or other.

All falangs are alike. A bit like Thais and Cambodians don't you think.

• Like 1

lovely translation.

As many on this forum have expressed, some of us personally take offence as they are taking about "all" Thai's which includes our family and friends. I suppose I could take the high road and not respond to their racist comments!

Cheers

Haha.

Well that's ok, because we are all just falangs. It is a little too complicated to get drawn into distinguishing Brit, french, american,Canadian, Brazilian or other.

All falangs are alike. A bit like Thais and Cambodians don't you think.

That type of expression is unwarranted , no matter who it comes from!!

Government is defanged, so they must flex their muscles on the only group they have any leverage on. Expats, tourists and unsympathetic foreign media.

Better deported than shot or tortured like what happened to many foreigners during the Abhisit regime.

An Aussi guy,Conor Purcell who was protesting in 2010, was jailed and than tortured in jail (than pardoned by a royal decree).

Others ,like an italian journalist,Fabio Polenghi were shot dead by the army, because he saw things which shouldn't be seen.

This is the difference between an elected and legitimate government like now and an no-elected and authoritarian government like the British-born Abhisit (whose Thai nationality was technically illegal ).

Edited by max72

Shows that you have no rights as a foreigner in Thailand, no matter how long you have lived here.

You have finally caught on.

I would not advise any foreigners to consider staying in Thailand for the long term at the present until these political disputes are resolved one way or another.

Also these protest laws may extend to what foreigners say Online, especially on Thai visa regarding the Thailand situation at the moment and suggest the less said, the better. Otherwise it`s up to each individuals risk and discretion, including the website owners that host these comments.

Dangerous times that could be heading for an inevitable civil war between the north and the south. This is not paranoia as feelings are high among the Thais, things are not looking good. Hoping my hunches are wrong.

Jeeze BJ, what rights do you want or do you reasonably expect to have in Thailand, consider yourself lucky that the farangs allow you to stay here let alone the the government of the day!

Sure, but we already know that....don't we?

Thats the way it is and always has been.

You want a say,,go ahead and get citizenship, and then, yes you can have a say...easy..

On the other hand, if you want a political voice, stay in your own country.

In most countries with a developed democracy and solid human rights tradition, foreigners are allowed to voice a political opinion. Some European countries even allow foreigners the right to vote. Of course the democracy is well established and respected by the governemnt and by the people.

As soon as a deeply undemocratic governement feels threatened, the first thing it does is to shut down the basic human right of free speech. And that only shows how undemocratic the government is.

The second step is so-called "scape goat" politics. When politics go bad and economy is about to collaps, look for an enemy outside. Hitler choose the jews, the Argentina generals choose the Falklands etc. The aim is to find an enemy to divert attention from the government's failures.

Foreigners are not slaves here, and we all do pay taxes, a lot sometimes. We don't have a Thai passport, true, but that does not make us "Untermenschen".

welcome to our country, you are welcome to spend all your money, use it to build up a business, live here for the rest of your life, marry a thai person but you are not allowed to have an opinion different from ours.

Nonsense.

You are allowed your opinion, but you are not allowed to block people from going to their work, block people from doing their business, blocking roads and other violent means of disturbing public life.

They demand that you behave like a decent human being. Rightfully so.

• Like 1

And the question what is "Hi-Park" still remains.. biggrin.png

I found this on Yahoo... Quote "Hi-park = Thai term, means Public (political) speaking. The word comes from Hyde Park." Un-quote.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_news.php?newsid=TURONWIzVXdNak13TURnMU13PT0=

I hope I am not posting agaist the Thai Visa site rules. If so please excuse me.

Or denounce your citizenship to whatever country and become a Thai

You reckon having citizenship would stop them throwing you out, do ya? Doesn't that Indian have a passport? You could have citizenship, a Thai passport, have lived here 50 years and would still not be 'Thai'. It's all about your face. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

As I understand it, Thailand does not recognize dual citizenship. So you are either Thai or a foreigner. If you renounced your citizenship of origin and successfully became a thai citizen through the prescribed procedures, you would hold a thai national identity card and be entitled to vote, run for office, own land, etc. I would guess the soon-to-be deported Indian-Thai holds a passport from Indian and entered Thailand on a visa, not with a Thai passport.

• Like 1

You/we (westerners) represent less than 0.3% of the population, you get to live here, eat inexpensive food, pay almost no tax, enjoy a warm climate and have frequent sex with beautiful women, what do you want next, voting privileges! Quit whinging.

Oh yes, that's right, we're all 'honoured guests' aren't we. saai.gif

Replace "honoured" with "paying"...and you might be onto something!

• Like 2

Rights are protected according to law, how it is applied and by whom. I prefer to live here as I do back home...obey the laws and stay under the radar. So far, it seems to work for me.

POLITICS
Foreigners again warned against joining rallies or get deported

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Immigration police have once again issued a warning to foreigners against any participation in the anti-government protests, saying that this could lead to deportation.

The warning comes in the wake of reports that an Indian businessman; Sathit Segal, will be deported for his involvement in the rally and his speech on the protest stage.

In the first warning, issued in December, the Immigration Bureau said foreign nationals should not participate in the protests because this was illegal and dangerous. Violations could result in deportation.

In the northeast border province of Nong Khai, immigration police put up a sign saying that if any foreigners were found to be involved in the demonstrations, their permission to stay in Thailand could possibly be suspended.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-07

Or denounce your citizenship to whatever country and become a Thai

You reckon having citizenship would stop them throwing you out, do ya? Doesn't that Indian have a passport? You could have citizenship, a Thai passport, have lived here 50 years and would still not be 'Thai'. It's all about your face. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

As I understand it, Thailand does not recognize dual citizenship. So you are either Thai or a foreigner. If you renounced your citizenship of origin and successfully became a thai citizen through the prescribed procedures, you would hold a thai national identity card and be entitled to vote, run for office, own land, etc. I would guess the soon-to-be deported Indian-Thai holds a passport from Indian and entered Thailand on a visa, not with a Thai passport.

Vanessa Mae has dual and will be skiing soon under a passport of 'convenience' so it must be allowed? anyway the Indian did not have dual so it's academic

he was warned and continued which is pretty stupid

Why should we have rights? You have hit the nail on the head, we are foreigners

I wish the UK government would take this stance with foreigners instead of changing everything to suit them and stuff the rest of the population

Exactly. These people crying foul on here would be the first ones thumping their chest and demanding deportation if a non citizen behaved the same way in their own country.

actually not at all........

Thaitown protesters forced Thaksin to cancel Los Angeles talk event

Thaksin Shinawatra was forced to cancel a dinner and talk with red shirts on Sunday night in Thai Town Los Angeles after over 1000 protesters gather in front of Thailand Praza Restaurant. The gathering was peaceful. According to Siam Town USA, Thaksin's supporters had to pay $200 ticket to have live dinner with Thaksin. There was no sign of Thaksin,instead of meeting Mr. Thaksin, the dinner guests got booed instead as they left the restaurant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgix_-rxbBg

• Like 1