Outlook email phishing scam

BB1950

Today I received an an email that's a phishing scam.

The subject was: Microsoft Security Alert Confirmation 2014!!!

The text of the email was:

Dear User,

Your email account has exceeded it maximum usage and needs to be upgraded to our new Secured anti-virus RSA 2014 version: Click below to upgrade with a One step Sign In.

Sign In Now

Warning!!! Account owner that fails to upgrade to the Secured RSA 2014 account after receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Best Regards,
Customer Support.
Microsoft Outlook™

I've disabled the "Sign In Now" link so TV members can see the actual email. The link was to the domain loverdeluxerecords.com which has an unknown WOT rating. Obviously nothing to do with Microsoft or Outlook. A Reverse Whois look-up showed it registered to a "MICHAEL JONES" associated with about 2,141 other domains.

There are upcoming RSA 2014 Security Conferences coming up and I assume the spammer is trying to play on peoples fears, judging from the text of the message even though the ridiculous "Your email account has exceeded it maximum usage and needs to be upgraded" claim.

This topic is posted to remind people to never click on links in unsolicited emails regards how urgent it seems. That's the ploy they use to trick people in clicking on the links!

Yes this <deleted> phishing scam comes through every now and then.

To assure yourself that you will never exceed the download limit, I suggest:

regularly go to your 'deleted' folder and empty it;

regulary go to your sent mail, and delete all the ancient stuff.

Chhers, AA