Thai school / teacher after work ?

anthobkk

My boss recently asked me to improve my ability to speak thai in order to get promoted. This means he wants me to be able to follow and participate to professional meetings both internals or with clients.

By now, I can understand about 40% of a meeting in Thai but it is quite impossible for me to intervene and express my opinion in a professional way.

I'm trying to learn Thai by myself but it's too slow and I don't really have the motivation. All employees in my company are fluent in English so they won't talk to me in Thai either. Therefore I was looking for Thai schools that provide class after 7pm but couldn't find any.

Do you have any suggestion ? Something like 3 times per week, 2 hours class from 7 to 9pm would be perfect.

thanks.

"Why don't you approach your colleagues to teach you Thai if they are fluent in both Thai and English?"

Yes, because speaking a language automatically makes one able to teach it.

Not to mention that a subordinate or even a colleague in a work environment would feel quite awkward being put in a teacher's role.

Most schools would be able to accommodate your needs with private classes.

Edited by zeichen

I have found that being able to speak a language as the mother language does not necessarily correlate to being able to teach it. Rather, it is the exception, without proper training more often than not that a "long haired" dictionary, as it pertains to the Thai language, that can facilitate learning to an adequate level. Meaning, being able to explain why, or transcend to the learner the language adequately through examples so as to impart real understanding of the nuances of a language. IMHO this is for ALL languages!

To answer the OP question, I would recommend Piammitr Language School or any other former Union based school for excellent instruction. There is a good deal of commitment that one must make to the learning of ANY language, but it can be done, and facilitated in a more rapid manner with quality instruction.

Almost all schools will cater to the customer if willing to pay for a customized program. Please do due diligence prior to enrolling in any school or program to ensure it will suit your needs.

Best wishes

"Why don't you approach your colleagues to teach you Thai if they are fluent in both Thai and English?"

Yes, because speaking a language automatically makes one able to teach it.

Not to mention that a subordinate or even a colleague in a work environment would feel quite awkward being put in a teacher's role.

Most schools would be able to accommodate your needs with private classes.

I don't believe you need a teaching certificate to teach someone every day conversation. If OP has colleagues that are fluent in English, I am pretty sure they have the ability to teach OP Thai.

OP was asking for any suggestions and that was my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

If you want to study very intensively at your own convenience, you should be able to find a recent graduate of a Thai teaching program (Chula's is the best IMO) and hire them full-time for say 15-20K per month. 20 actual teaching hours per week would be a relatively light load for full-time work, do say 90 minute sessions most evenings and then a couple more longer ones on the weekend, should allow you to progress quickly.

If you have the experience to gather your own materials and create your own curriculum, any degreed native central Thai dialect would be suitable and less expensive, but sounds like you aren't that motivated.

Why don't you approach your colleagues to teach you Thai if they are fluent in both Thai and English?

Maybe a good way of saying this would be to simply ask everyone to only speak Thai with you. That would give you the continuous exposure to the technical/business vocabulary you need to be able to participate in meeting conducted in Thai and talk with clients who do not speak English.

You might still get a formal teacher for after hours but they may not know to teach you your business's vocabulary; they probably do not even know what it is. And every business has its acronyms, business specific terms, etc.

• Like 1