DSI denies bail for Sonthiyarn

webfact

DSI denies bail for Sonthiyarn

BANGKOK, 11 February 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Special Investigation made known that protest leader Sonthiyarn Chuenruethainaitham is not allowed to bond himself out of jail following his arrest yesterday.

Mr. Sonthiyarn was apprehended yesterday afternoon at Central Ladprao Department Store on charges of violating the Emergency Decree. He is one of the core leaders of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

DSI staff said that the PDRC leader, who is now detained in a facility in Pathum Thani, will continue to be under police custody for 7 more days. He will be presented to the court for further hearing. After the process, he will be able to seek bail.

Police are currently searching Mr. Sonthiyarn’s home in Phuttamonthon area for more evidence on the case.

His arrest marks the first among PDRC members who have been rallying and occupying government offices to pressure the government to resign.

The DSI is awaiting court orders to arrest 13 more PDRC leaders.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-11 footer_n.gif

I thought the court to which the detainee would be brought had to decide on bail and possible bail conditions? Is the DSI now trespassing on the court prerogatives? Do we have the first martyr who is unjustly prosecuted and detained by the government who only speaks about democracy?

Any news yet from the HRW?

They can hold people for 7 days under the SOE with no court involvement, but after 7 days they need to apply for new permission from the court I believe, which seems to be what the article says they're going to do.

What Human Rights Watch says about it will be much along the lines of what they said in 2010:

''The Thai government's use of its draconian Emergency Decree on Public Administration in a State of Emergency ("Emergency Decree") raises concerns that the rights of detained protesters will not be respected, Human Rights Watch said. The Emergency Decree provides Thai authorities with legal immunity and broad powers to detain individuals without charge in informal places of detention. It does not ensure either effective judicial oversight or prompt access to legal counsel and family members. The government's Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations (CRES) has so far failed to provide information about the number of detainees and their current whereabouts, heightening concerns about mistreatment.''

http://www.hrw.org/news/2010/05/20/thailand-ensure-rights-detained-protesters

• Like 1

I thought the court to which the detainee would be brought had to decide on bail and possible bail conditions? Is the DSI now trespassing on the court prerogatives? Do we have the first martyr who is unjustly prosecuted and detained by the government who only speaks about democracy?

They can hold people for 7 days under the SOE with no court involvement, but after 7 days they need to apply for new permission from the court I believe, which seems to be what the article says they're going to do.

What Human Rights Watch says about it will be much along the lines of what they said in 2010:

''The Thai government's use of its draconian Emergency Decree on Public Administration in a State of Emergency ("Emergency Decree") raises concerns that the rights of detained protesters will not be respected, Human Rights Watch said. The Emergency Decree provides Thai authorities with legal immunity and broad powers to detain individuals without charge in informal places of detention. It does not ensure either effective judicial oversight or prompt access to legal counsel and family members. The government's Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations (CRES) has so far failed to provide information about the number of detainees and their current whereabouts, heightening concerns about mistreatment.''

http://www.hrw.org/news/2010/05/20/thailand-ensure-rights-detained-protesters

All those grenades and mystery MiB in 2010 seemed to justify the Emergence Decree in 2010 even though that implied some 'draconian' powers. Now we still have an EC in place (and not a SOE!), is that justified? Is the government that much threatened by a democratic anti-government movement? Were we still unto democracy and how well that's defended by the Thaksin thinks Pheu Thai acting government?

Anyway you suggest that the remark on bail is just a misinterpretation of theNation as the seven day period would be non-bailable?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

The PAD/Yellowshirt/PDRC organizer should take this as an opportunity to spread his message of "Democracy". He'll have a captive audience at the detention center. He can give speeches and motivate the impoverished inmates. I am sure they thirst for the message he will bring. He will only be a "martyr", if he gets shanked because his speech goes on too long and he bores the other inmates. However, I anticipate that he will be in the VIP wing, complete with his own ladyboy servant to attend to his every need. Not to worry. He'll be just fine. After all, he is a "martyr".

• Like 2

The PAD/Yellowshirt/PDRC organizer should take this as an opportunity to spread his message of "Democracy". He'll have a captive audience at the detention center. He can give speeches and motivate the impoverished inmates. I am sure they thirst for the message he will bring. He will only be a "martyr", if he gets shanked because his speech goes on too long and he bores the other inmates. However, I anticipate that he will be in the VIP wing, complete with his own ladyboy servant to attend to his every need. Not to worry. He'll be just fine. After all, he is a "martyr".

Didn't the Yingluck government make a special prison in Laksi for political prisoners?

• Like 2

Didn't the Yingluck government make a special prison in Laksi for political prisoners?

I remember reading something about that when I was in Cairo attending a camel auction. However the comment was that it was a luxury prison strictly reserved for the R/S government just in case they loose power.

I guess he should be thankful he made it to prison alive.

A change of police tactics, I presume. May be too many witnesses in a shopping centre for another assassination.

• Like 1

One didn't know that the DSI had the power to grant bail, that should be the matter for the courts to decided , the DSI can oppose bail if it likes, the country is run by bandits if DSI I can say who can or cannot have bail, what else can the DSI do that should be the domain of the courts , amazing Thailandcoffee1.gif

You're absolutely correct rubl. It is up to the courts to decide whether he is allowed bail or not, but as we know, Tarit believes he is above the law. However, he will find out that his transgressions will not have gone unnoticed once the PTP house of cards collapses...!!

.................. That's close to torture of political opponents and not done in a democracy.

Well, since he doesn't want to live by democratic rules I say, "fair enough".

In a democracy you stand for election and if your policies appeal to THE PUBLIC then you get to change the system.

No doubt this is how Suthep and Sonthiyarn want to conduct business if their rent-a-mob tactics succeed so why not give them a taste of the future they dream of?

well, in a democracy also people who object against the strange interpretation of democratic rules are protected by the democratic system, constitution, laws, etc.

In a 'real' democracy you might stand for election, but even in that 'real' democracy you may decide not to. The part of boycot the elections in the sense of making it impossible seems justified by all undemocratic actions of the now caretaker Pheu Thai led government which is still consulting with that most favirite criminal fugitive.

No doubt, you have formed your opinion on what Suthep and PDRC want, but you seem as ill-informed as some who talk about UDD 'rent-a-mob' tactics.

• Like 1

.................. That's close to torture of political opponents and not done in a democracy.

In a democracy you stand for election and if your policies appeal to THE PUBLIC then you get to change the system.

No doubt this is how Suthep and Sonthiyarn want to conduct business if their rent-a-mob tactics succeed so why not give them a taste of the future they dream of?

All this yammering about "democracy," "elections," and such is about as vacuous as it could be. In a place where people are prosecuted under an SOE for "gathering" in a group of more than four people, it is impossible to conduct a free, fair, open and true election. So just stop talking about your bogus elections and democracy.

Are you for real? Matyr! How about going three years without bail and then freed with no charges.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648387-attorney-appeals-court-ruling-on-2010-bangkok-central-world-arson/

http://thairedshirts.org/tag/bail/

Human Rights Watch my a#se.

Are you for real? Matyr! How about going three years without bail and then freed with no charges.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648387-attorney-appeals-court-ruling-on-2010-bangkok-central-world-arson/

Ah, you mean because the previous government caused that, the current caretaker government can do the same?

BTW the UDD page you refer to ends the article with Saichon Paebua saying

"We need amnesty for political prisoners, and it must be swift"

PS clean up your language a wee bit, it gets annoying

Edited by rubl

Nice one. Let him rot.

Meanwhile, other media are saying the Police searched his house this morning and arrested a man in possession of a war weapon!

Won't fit the media here's idea of news, but most people who see it are saying <deleted>, throw away the key.

It's not nice to let people 'rot' when they're only detained under an Emercency Decree. That's close to torture of political opponents and not done in a democracy.

As for the 'other media', waiting for confirmation from reliable sources seems in order with all your 'facts'.

So why did abhisit do it in 2010 if that sort of thing is not done in a democracy?

I await the deafening silence in place of an answer. Either that or a deflection on to rice subsidies or tablets for kids.

Ah, you mean because the previous government caused that, the current caretaker government can do the same?

My language has already been cleaned up, hence the #. It's a reflection of how exasperated I get with your glib posts. (btw sad attempt to get noticed by the mods, rubl, childish but also sad). "Martyr" hmmm.

What has Saichon Paebua's soundbite got to do with the fact that bail was denied for 3 years to two innocent people. Nothing, is the answer. Any comment on the Thai Visa article, No, just the UDD page, typical.

Denial of bail for 7 days under the emergency decree is the same as when abhisit declared it.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Nice one. Let him rot.

Meanwhile, other media are saying the Police searched his house this morning and arrested a man in possession of a war weapon!

Won't fit the media here's idea of news, but most people who see it are saying <deleted>, throw away the key.

It's not nice to let people 'rot' when they're only detained under an Emercency Decree. That's close to torture of political opponents and not done in a democracy.

As for the 'other media', waiting for confirmation from reliable sources seems in order with all your 'facts'.

So why did abhisit do it in 2010 if that sort of thing is not done in a democracy?

I await the deafening silence in place of an answer. Either that or a deflection on to rice subsidies or tablets for kids.

So, why would someone urge the current caretaker government with their CMPO and DSI to do it? Didn't we learn anything from the past? Do we want to keep pointing to Abhisit while ignoring a government which spend lots of taxpayers money on bailing out UDD leaders put up as Pheu Thai party list MPs and ignoring lots of others. Maybe because it's nice to be able to point to them?

BTW which (political) prisoners did PM Abhisit leave to rot?

As for your last sentence, that seems a bit of a deflection already

My language has already been cleaned up, hence the #. It's a reflection of how exasperated I get with your glib posts. (btw sad attempt to get noticed by the mods, rubl, childish but also sad). "Martyr" hmmm.

What has Saichon Paebua's soundbite got to do with the fact that bail was denied for 3 years to two innocent people. Nothing, is the answer. Any comment on the Thai Visa article, No, just the UDD page, typical.

Denial of bail for 7 days under the emergency decree is the same as when abhisit declared it.

Was bail denied for two accused of involvement in CWT arson or was bail set higher than they or theirs could afford? Keep in mind that once no bail is granted or paid the accused will need to await their trial and in Thailand that can take ages. In this case almost three years, but justice has won again. I'm sure that the compensation money paid by the Yingluck government will not erase the sad memories, but helps make an inroad.

As for the language and 'sad attempt', would you rather I PM you when your barely disguised language starts to annoy me?

Nice one. Let him rot.

Of course you have a link to that report.

Nice one. Let him rot.

Of course you have a link to that report.

Reported on here. Well done on your most well researched post to date!!!

Meanwhile. They should get used to prison food as they could be in there for a long long long time if the Coup does not happen.

We all know how badly Amnesty Bills go down, so it's not like that is an option is it... Som nam nah!!!

All this yammering about "democracy," "elections," and such is about as vacuous as it could be. In a place where people are prosecuted under an SOE for "gathering" in a group of more than four people, it is impossible to conduct a free, fair, open and true election. So just stop talking about your bogus elections and democracy.

What I see in the actions of Suthep and his followers is a belief that "might is right" and that if you gather sufficient might you can overthrow the rule of law.

I run a business here in Thailand, employing people and providing a valued service. Others on this forum own property here. The thought that, in future, some bunch of thugs can simply march into Bangkok and impose a government of their own choosing is not an encouraging sign. We have not been told the names of the proposed future interim government so you can rest assured they are names you would not approve of, otherwise they would be forthcoming. If I am right about this how do you propose removing them, with another bunch of thugs?

What next once the unelected council of Suthep's approved friends is in place? Extra-judicial changes to business ownership rules? Taking foreigners' properties from them by changing ownership rights?

I have no dog in this show. The PTP popularist policies are clearly unsustainable and as obvious a vote-buying ploy as Margaret Thatcher's council house sale policy was in the UK. I do believe, however, that in a country such as this where the law is fragile at the best of times we need a government that displays an interest in the rule of law. The damage Suthep will do to inward investment in Thailand if his movement succeeds is enormous.

• Like 2